Thread: Jazz History Podcasts for Free!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Jazz History Podcasts for Free! EDIT: MUCH BIGGER RESOURCE THAN I THOUGHT.

From Apple and iTunes, for free!

The Year Was 1959

"In his History of Jazz program, Dr. Gordon Vernick, Associate Professor of Music at Georgia State University looks at just one year in the rich history of this uniquely American musical genre. But Vernick sees 1959 as a “nexus point,” the year he “likes to think about as the most important year in jazz.” What occurred in 1959 to make it such a milestone for jazz music? Filed under: Education, iPod+iTunes."

The program is an 11 track podcast covering this part of jazz history, and cool jazz. I listened only to Dr. Vernick's intro so far, but it sounds quite interesting. Pretty cool for free! To find it you can go to the iTunes store and search "History of Jazz" and see the Georgia State U link under iTunes U, or click the announcement in the below link to Apple's "Hot News" page, it is currently the second entry down, and it will take you there. I hope someone enjoys it! Jazz on Sunday is a good thing.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; May 13th, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve! :
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just have to point out what an amazing resource this iTunes U is. I just went and looked some more, and just in the music section there are a ton of free instructional downloads on a huge variety of topics including theory, history, technique and a bunch of stuff. Plus, there are many other types of free instructional/educational info on business, engineering, math, arts, languages, whatever. An amazing resource that you should check out!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, I'm computer blind...

...where are you guy's finding all this cool stuff? I can't find anything like you're describing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    ...where are you guy's finding all this cool stuff? I can't find anything like you're describing.
    Start iTunes, click on iTunes Store

Then click on iTunes U - upper left column :

Then click on Fine Arts

Then select Music on the drop down menu that gets added to Fine Arts :

Lots of stuff to start you off there. Many links to let you see lots more.

Hope this helps.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Gil! Yeah, that is right. You need to open iTunes and go through there to get to the stuff. You don't have to have an iPod to listen to it. You just need iTunes, either Apple or Windoze version, installed, and you can listen to it on your mac or pc. More convenient to have it on an iPod, but I bet you can't load iTunes stuff on a 3rd party MP3 player without some sort of work around.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for pointing these out Steve. Looking forward to hearing them.:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not happening...

Do I have to download iTunes for this process?
    If so, I can't on the computer I'm at.

Certainly never found anything saying 'fine arts'.