Thread: What a gig... and what a long day

Hybrid View

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a gig... and what a long day

Started packing at 10 am, got the news we need rent a PA. Drove 1 hour to city, rented PA. Singer realizes the box of CDs for sale were at home. Drive back 1 hour, pick up CDs. Drive north 3.5 hours. Unpack, set up gear, finish set list and wait to start playing (it's now 8pm).

Waiting. Waiting. At 1am (!), we get the go ahead to start playing. We were dead tired, and so was the audience, who had been there since 4pm... most of them left when we started playing, no surprise, they were half asleep alread. We played for 1:45 and we sucked so bad. Nada energy or focus left.

Then we were promised a ride to the hotel. Waiting and waiting and finally it came (a limousine). So, got to bad around 4am.

Oh man, what a gig!
    I'm NOT doing a gig like this again!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet you booked this under "experiences"
    Oh man, this doesn't sound good, but I guess everybody who plays actively live has been through such cr**. Can you imagine being a professional musician in a small Blues band, playing juke joints and getting on stage after midnight most of the time? Here in Germany it's mostly this way. Very late stage times during the summer. some years ago we drove to a gig and the organizer only told us that he has no PA when we arrived - so we had to ride back and the schedule was darn tight. when we arrived we had to jump on stage immediately....

Next time will be better Rob!
    :

Jimi75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you. WE played a private club circuit where we started playing at 3 AM! This was after playing a regular night in the club as well. It was really hard to muster anything for those last few hours till 6 am. I hope I never have to do that again and if you do I hope you get paid well for it, get a record deal and all the babes and booze that you can handle. That makes it all worthwhile.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Spud, unfortunately we didn't get any of those last things you mention... it really sucked, but that is how it goes sometimes. Just gotta pick better gigs.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow. Well, next time will be better. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

This will be good fodder for your memoir, book, and VH1 Behind the Scenes, Robert.

You hung in there, and that's all you can ask and expect from anyone.
    Last edited by Plank_Spanker; May 5th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.