Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
I'm 'Dotting Your Eyes'....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm 'Dotting Your Eyes'....

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm 'Dotting Your Eyes'....

....with these pix of the used Epiphone Dot I picked up on eBay, which was delivered today. It's an '00, is in amazing shape, and sounds even better than it looks. The original owner says that the neck p'up was upgraded to a Duncan Jazz and the bridge to a Gibson Classic '57. In any case, the tone is outstanding, maybe better than my LP. Plays like a dream, too--great neck, low action. I've only had about an hour to play it tonight, but I'm one happy camper at this point. Note that the volume & tone knobs were changed to the chrome knurled Tele style, which matches the rest of the hardware nicely, but I really prefer numbered knobs. Will run these for awhile and see how I like 'em. Clips to follow in a day or two....

Attachment 393 Attachment 394
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quite lovely. Congratulations Voodoo. Very sweet indeed.
    You are probably going to fuel another fret.net gas attack. Now we'll find out who still has room on their credit card.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar! Oh, man!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

that is a beauty.....my next guitar is going to be a 335 type guitar....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice guitar! Congrats on the pickups as well, those are two very good pups!!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Dude thats a nice geetar. Great score! Why is the neck pup upside down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Why is the neck pup upside down?
    Fair question, but I don't know why--that's just how it came.

Exactly what effect does the orientation have?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

None that I know of. Maybe for asthetics and because the original owner "thought" they should look like that who knows. The wiring would be on the top side of that pickup though when placed upside down which would shorten the length of wire coming down into the control cavity. Maybe it was too long? I just wondered why. Should sound the same though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great guitar. Send us some clips so that we can hear how it sounds. I love 335's.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

could there be a noticable sound difference with the neck pickup posts (not sure if they are called posts or not) being further away from the neck with it upside down?

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Peter Green`s Les Paul had the neck pu upside down just like that (it happened by mistake)... though I never knew if it made the sound different at all.. maybe a bit more trebly??

maybe the previous owner was his fan, and decided to turn it up just to see how it would sound..

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing a little research about the effect of mounting the neck 'bucker upside down, and have come to the conclusion that the impact on tone is pretty minimal. About the only thing it does is to move the screw coil away about a half inch from the harmonic "sweet spot" where the 24th fret (2nd octave point) would be. All I can tell you is that the pickup still sounds very good, and is still quite obviously a "neck humbucker" in tone--round and full, when played clean.

The "Peter Green" mod was apparently more than just mounting the neck p'up upside-down; the magnet was also turned around inside the p'up, causing it to become magnetically out-of-phase with the bridge p'up. This was the key to the characteristic thinner, somewhat hollow sound Green got when playing from both pickups simultaneously. My Dot doesn't give any evidence of this kind of tone when played from both p'ups, so I'm quite certain that it's just mounted upside-down.

Good thread on this subject HERE, and some further technical comments on the Seymour Duncan site HERE....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

nice, pretty good clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Having been away from the fret, I didn't know that Voodoo got an Epi dot.

Wow, just the sort of guitar that I've been drooling over.

Any update Voodoo? Do you still like the tone? Is the neck pup still upside down?

Talking about hollows & semis, has anyone ever tried a Schecter SH-1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Having been away from the fret, I didn't know that Voodoo got an Epi dot.

Wow, just the sort of guitar that I've been drooling over.

Any update Voodoo? Do you still like the tone?
    I like it even better after THIS PROJECT! Tones galore!

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Is the neck pup still upside down?
    Nope, fixed that. It was wired OK, just mounted upside-down. You can see it after fixing in one of the photo attachments in post #15 in the above link.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I like it even better after THIS PROJECT! Tones galore!

Nope, fixed that. It was wired OK, just mounted upside-down. You can see it after fixing in one of the photo attachments in post #15 in the above link.
    Holy Moly Voodo...you Duh_Man!!

That's more than I'd want to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Niiiice guitar. Love the red color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Niiiice guitar. Love the red color.
    Yeah, I've always had a thing for cherry red guitars!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Yeah, I've always had a thing for cherry red guitars!!
    here's one for you....my ibanez GAX30TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast