Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
recon someone can gimme a straight answer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recon someone can gimme a straight answer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default recon someone can gimme a straight answer?

riight, ive been asking this question all over for like a week now and no one has given me a simple straight answer, if anything, they avoided the question.

right here it is. im 15, my girlfriend is 4 months older than me, but still 15. so its two 15 year olds. i was wondering, if we could be engaged without having to ask our parents? becasue i KNOW her parents wouldnt let me propose, or if they found out her dad would play cricket with my head or something.

answers please? thaanks.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think there is an age restriction on being engaged. age wouldn't be an issue until you actually tried to get married. that, of course, does not account for what her parents or your parents would do to you if you did propose, but so far as i know, there isn't anything legally preventing you from doing so.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

the bit about legal prevention is a relief. im not so much worried about what my parents think tbqh. we just want to be engaged, because it gives us some real committment. we were pretty much best friends for almost a year before i finally asked her out, and since then another 8 months have passed. iver loved her secretly since i met her, and i wanna committ to staying with her. we dont intent to get married until shes finished fulfilling her ambition to become a psychiatrist. which involves multiple PHDs. so we wont be marrying until were atleast 22/3.
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    right here it is. im 15, my girlfriend is 4 months older than me, but still 15. so its two 15 year olds. i was wondering, if we could be engaged without having to ask our parents? becasue i KNOW her parents wouldnt let me propose, or if they found out her dad would play cricket with my head or something.
    I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. you couldn't get married before 18 without parental consent. Here engagement has no legal standing whatsoever.

Now from a practical standpoint I'll say this: don't get engaged. Let me repeat that: don't get engaged. It's great that you are deeply in love with each other. Wonderful. I'm also glad that you seem to have a solid head on your shoulders for future plans. But there's no need to get engaged seven or eight years in advance of getting married. That's 50% as long as you've lived! Live your life. Enjoy your teenage years. Learn who you are. When you hit 20 if the two of you are still an item, then talk about it.

Another practical item: it's not wise to start a relationship by ticking off your future in-laws, unless you really want your life to be a little slice of Hell. When you marry a woman you marry her whole family.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. you couldn't get married before 18 without parental consent. Here engagement has no legal standing whatsoever.

Now from a practical standpoint I'll say this: don't get engaged. Let me repeat that: don't get engaged. It's great that you are deeply in love with each other. Wonderful. I'm also glad that you seem to have a solid head on your shoulders for future plans. But there's no need to get engaged seven or eight years in advance of getting married. That's 50% as long as you've lived! Live your life. Enjoy your teenage years. Learn who you are. When you hit 20 if the two of you are still an item, then talk about it.

Another practical item: it's not wise to start a relationship by ticking off your future in-laws, unless you really want your life to be a little slice of Hell. When you marry a woman you marry her whole family.
    to be really honest, she is my life, and she has been the only person ive ever truely loved. apart from guitar i do nothing else, its guitar or her. so i wouldnt miss anything by committing now. im gonna leave it till after the summer this year, and see where i stand financially, socially and school-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Engaged, disengaged, married, single... without intent they're all just words. If you already have the intent you shouldn't feel so pressed to attach a mere word to it.
    Live, love, eat, sleep... you're really too young to feel so much of life's weight unnecessarily. Give yourself a break!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Engaged, disengaged, married, single... without intent they're all just words. If you already have the intent you shouldn't feel so pressed to attach a mere word to it.
    Live, love, eat, sleep... you're really too young to feel so much of life's weight unnecessarily. Give yourself a break!

to be honest, being engaged to a girl im madly in love with would be the onyl good thing thats come out of the last 4 years of teenager-ness.

slags, cheating, fights, exams, Fs, ungradeds, fails and flunks.

woo for youth, i wish i was 50.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew this was gunna happen when I first read this,but here goes,We are a little older and we feel wiser cause well I for one have made mistakes that I would not want others to experience because they were not worth it and getting married young is way cool if the couple is ready but dont marry just for love cause love can come and go,marriage is a lifetime commitment.So enough of me I am glad you did ask some older guys and I truly hope you two do share a lifetime of growth and love together. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I knew this was gunna happen when I first read this,but here goes,We are a little older and we feel wiser cause well I for one have made mistakes that I would not want others to experience because they were not worth it and getting married young is way cool if the couple is ready but dont marry just for love cause love can come and go,marriage is a lifetime commitment.So enough of me I am glad you did ask some older guys and I truly hope you two do share a lifetime of growth and love together. Sumi

were not rly planning on gettign married till our mid twenties anyway, just engagement, because i need soemthing to focus me, and being engaged would probably do that. when i think 'whats the point' shes always the first thing i think about. and i know exactly what id be getting myself into, im mature enough to know that its a life long promise, and its a promise im willing to make and keep.

thanks for all the replies btw.

Post Thanks / Like

woo for youth, i wish i was 50.
    This is going to be good for and "I told you so" later in life. Cherish your youth mate.

And this one too
    and i know exactly what id be getting myself into,

Life often doesn't seem fair at 15. We all know that because we've all been there. Marnold is right, don't go ticking anybody off over this. A lot can happen in the months and years to come. Go easy and be smart. If you make a fuss then your parents can do whatever they want legally to make you adhere to their rules, and you never want to be forced into doing anything ever. Be a cool cucumber and let life take it's course. If you and she are meant to be together then you will be together. Nothing can stop that. But if you aren't then forcing the issue will only make matters worse and you'll get really frustrated.

Let life take it's course and enjoy the ride. Just remember it's not always going to be the ride that you expected.

Oh, don't forget to keep playing your guitar...a lot.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Wise words here from Rev Rawk!! : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

You aren't going to listen to any advice that is attempting to direct you away from this decision, so it really is a waste of time.

You are soliciting an answer to a question where many of the members have had more than one marriage and maybe made the initial decision very early in life. Yet, you aren't even interested in listening to what they have to say. (where's Shiner when you need him?)

Get your personal life together before making such a big move. Another person isn't going to make the "last 4 years of teenager-ness. - slags, cheating, fights, exams, Fs, ungradeds, fails and flunks."

Make a commitment to and for yourself, before making a commitment to someone else.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Being engaged means NOTHING without a ring and a wedding date.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm going to have to disagree with all these guys Ibanezjunkie. Hell, not only should you get engaged, you should go ahead and forge your parents signatures and get married. Trust me, it'll be great.

Then again, I'm a divorce lawyer, and I believe everyone should get married early and often.

Like the others, I'm not sure you really want to hear our advice. You're just looking for someone to affirm your decision. But I've been married a WHOLE WHOLE WHOLE WHOLE lotta times son, so I guess that makes me qualified to add my two cents.

I'm glad you're in love. When you're 15 and in love, the world is a wonderful place. But quit thinking so much about words, and titles, and status, and stuff. Just spend as much time with her as you can without neglecting your studies, friends and family, enjoy every second of life, and quit trying to grow up so damn fast. Trust me, it'll happen soon enough.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Slow the heck down and stop worrying about this engagement nonsense and just ENJOY being boyfriend/girlfriend. While talk of engagement is all very fine and good and CUTE........the word ENGAGEMENT of a 15 yr old girl will scare the crap out of her parents.......and then they will talk to YOUR parents....and between the 4 of them, they will put your nuts into a vise so tight that you will never see the girl. Discretion is the better part of valor in this instance. Have fun and chill out dude.
    I am a 52 yr old father of a darling 22 yr old daughter. If some 15 yr old kid had wanted to get engaged to my 15 yr old daughter......that "conversation" would not have gone very well.

Post Thanks / Like

when you are 15, you live life in your heart.

every day is a roller coaster of emotions. passions.
    beliefs, and questioning who and what you are.

i have concern that you place your self-worth in a perceived state of being. a word makes nothing of who you are or what you feel.

does being in a band make you an artist at guitar? no. you cry your soul into those strings and that is what makes you what you are as a player.

can anyone feel what you feel for emma right now? no. your feelings for her are unique. a footprint on your life. does a word, 'engaged', change your relationship? no.

you can live in this state of love and emotion for the rest of your life. the word changes nothing. so why is the word so important?

i have concern, and would warn you as a woman, that to threaten, alienate, or damage the relationship with her family will alter the course of your relationship forever, and detrimentally. those bonds are deep. they can damage your relationship with emma. be careful where you tread.

i wish you luck, and i wish you love. i wish you clarity of thinking, and strength to be a man... and to know that to be a man, you must think of your life together in all things, to cement your education, your future. because you will have to grow together to stay together, and to do that, you will have to see beyond your heartbeat and your passion. you will have to see to your mutual futures.

embrace your music. do not place meanings in words.

good luck in all things.
    Last edited by Childbride; April 27th, 2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: redundancy
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that I have been with the same girl/woman since we were 13.
    we didn't get engaged until we were 20 and married at 21. In those days we were "going steady" That meant we were not dating anyone else. She became a Teacher and I became an accountant and we have been married 41 years. I refer to her as my first wife just to keep her on her toes. LOL.
    So it can be done.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this place! IJunkie, there's a lot of heart-felt thought coming your way here. Breathe, let go a little and take it in. I understand your passion for this other wonderful human being who gives you that feeling of completeness - the half that is/was missing. The others have spoken wisely about the other aspects of your life that these feelings are set in - keep some space for the rest of your life, while you enjoy the power of love.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and in the famous words of Robin Williams uses yourself some protection,and trys to use more than a condom cause a condom ain't nothing but a trampoline for sperm's,and them suckers comes sailing out of there at 500+ miles an hour,it's like trying to stop a train with a toothpick. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast