Thread: Small wattage heads or amps with speaker outs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small wattage heads or amps with speaker outs?

-Epi. Valve Jr.
    -Blackheart Killer ant
    -Peavey Royal 8
    -Fender champ 600

anyone know any other small wattage heads? 1-5 watts preferably.
    i want a smaller wattage head to practise with, so i can crank it to get the nice crunch sound, with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears.

also, i know that small amps usually have small speakers, and they sound really boxy, so i want to run it through my 8 ohm, 140w marshall 4x12 so it has to have an extension speaker output.

thanks
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Brand new Vox AC4TV comes in a combo and a head. One 12AX7 and one EL34 or 84. I forget which. 10" Celestion speaker in the combo.
    This has it's own attenuator and it goes from !/4W to 1W to 4W. It has gotten favorable reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

The Little Giant has become my favorite low watt bang for the buck amp. What is your budget?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Blackheart Little Giant Head and Cab and I absolutely love the set up of this mini stack. Very nice head..actually drives my 4x12 nicely. Loves pedals as well.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    The Little Giant has become my favorite low watt bang for the buck amp. What is your budget?

Second that. I play it through a 10" Rajun Cajun and at some point I will run it through 12"
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking somewhere around £200 probably?
    i liked the idea of the 5 watts class A Epi valve Jr actually, and the killer ant, i dont really need any real power here, just something that i can crank up to get a nice crunch.

anyone played with a killer any recently?
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the input peoples.

it probably wont be for a while though, im currently in between jobs and saving for sommat special for my to-be significant other.

once i get back into work, ill most likely stick my neck out for the little giant

cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't 200 pounds like $400? The little Giant is only around $150 or around 150 Euro.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_...giant_bh5h.htm

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't 200 pounds like $400? The little Giant is only around $150 or around 150 Euro.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_...giant_bh5h.htm

i think recently with all the economic crashes and stuff the dollar and the pound are pretty much 1 for 1.

as a matter of interest, anyone played a valve Jr. hotrod?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    i think recently with all the economic crashes and stuff the dollar and the pound are pretty much 1 for 1.
    As of this very moment, Google reports that 1 English pound = 1.48 U.S. dollars. So 200 pounds would be roughly $300 U.S.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The Blackheart Handsome Devil really isn't that much louder than the Little Giant (I own both). The Handsome Devil has the addition of a presence knob and drive knob. An awesome little amp.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    -Epi. Valve Jr.
    -Blackheart Killer ant
    -Peavey Royal 8
    -Fender champ 600

anyone know any other small wattage heads? 1-5 watts preferably.
    i want a smaller wattage head to practise with, so i can crank it to get the nice crunch sound, with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears.

also, i know that small amps usually have small speakers, and they sound really boxy, so i want to run it through my 8 ohm, 140w marshall 4x12 so it has to have an extension speaker output.

thanks
    THD Univalve would probably fit the bill and can be found rather cheaply used.

=-) PJ

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Small amp

I was fortunate enough to get a brand new Peavey JSX Mini Colossal for 175 US dollars, brand new on a close out at a place getting rid of their Peavey franchise, dealership or whatever it's called.

The Mini Colossal is unbelieveable with a great tremolo, which I love and 4, 8, and 16 ohm extension speaker switchable output jacks.

This little amp has "bloom" that is beautiful, pick attack as it is increased drives even the clean channel to distortion in small increments proportional to the force of your picking: incredible. Stock Weber speaker. Great amp but expensive. I was very lucky.

It has an attenuator on the back for late night distortion without disturbing people.

I have a Little Giant as well and need to compare them closely to identify any difference that my semi trained ear may be able to detect.

I love the Mini Colossal.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

"with a 100w head thats not too easy, or particularly good for your ears."
    Two words: power attenuator

But it is nice to have a low wattage amp which my modded vj does nice and through my vintage modern cab ...............sweetness
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

The Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 isn't a head. It's a combo with no speaker out jack. Very nice little bedroom, practice or recording amp, with hi-and lo-gain inputs and a headphone/line out jack, but unless you rig a connector to bypass its speaker, you can cross it off your list.