Thread: Cone cry - what is it exactly?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cone cry - what is it exactly?

It seems I have developed "cone cry" in my Hellhound speaker - an Alltone 12 inch speaker. At least that is what the guy who made the amp, Joe Naylor, said. I'm not really sure what cone cry is, could anyone here explain it in more detail?

What happens is that on louder volume, certain higher notes squeal a little bit, just enough to be annoying. With an external cab, the problem is gone of course. It only occurs when playing quite loud, and only on certain notes.

What would you do - buy a new speaker for the little combo, or buy a nice external cab instead? The Alltone speaker is not being produced anymore.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Both. Replace the current speaker and add an external.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any suggestions for speaker? It's a jungle out there! Eminence, Jensen, Celestion...etc, each seem to have many models. I'd need one that's rated for 50 watts, and 12 inches of course.

What about cabs? I'd like a 1x12 I think. The Traynor 1x12 cab seems good.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of cone cry,, hmm, Robert there are lots of choices out there for speakers , the weber speakers are highly rated and Ted Weber is a gentleman to deal with, I've used his sig8 8'' in a champ and it might be the best 8'' speaker available .. heres the site , lottsa info there .http://www.tedweber.com
    ALSO check out tonetubby speakers .. plus jensen has some great reissue vintage style speakers.. their sites sort of help you determine the type of sound you are looking for and point you to the appropriate speaker.. 6S9L

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had Celestions in my amps and cabs. Either Green Back 25 watters or Vintage 30s. I'm always happy with my tone using them.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz