Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to learn the fretboard

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to learn the fretboard

A couple of my students are having problems learning the fretboard. I have covered CAGED and other methods and tips, but they seem stuck. I need to figure out how I can get them to have enough patience and discipline to just sit down and work slowly on it until they can figure out how to find the notes on the fretboard.

Most of my students have gotten the idea well about learning shapes on 1 and 2 strings at the time, and then building on that, learning intervals and arpeggios and so on. However, these 2 guys have a hard time progressing.

Any suggestions?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, if you can't motivate 'em, I don't know who can! Near as I can tell, they just don't want it bad enough...

Maybe threaten to whack their peepee's w a ruler?
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to start a memorization practice routine every week with my students until they get it. Let's see if we can learn one note all over the neck per month or per 2 weeks. Then it will take 6 or 12 months to learn all notes everywhere on the neck.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    A couple of my students are having problems learning the fretboard. I have covered CAGED and other methods and tips, but they seem stuck. I need to figure out how I can get them to have enough patience and discipline to just sit down and work slowly on it until they can figure out how to find the notes on the fretboard.

Most of my students have gotten the idea well about learning shapes on 1 and 2 strings at the time, and then building on that, learning intervals and arpeggios and so on. However, these 2 guys have a hard time progressing.

Any suggestions?
    Since I'm not much of a player I don't understand what you are asking them to learn. Are you saying you want them to know where a C on the 5th string, or a G on the 4th string are?

Post Thanks / Like

I want them to learn where every note is, anywhere on the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I want them to learn where every note is, anywhere on the neck.
    I have not memorized that without having to do a bit of counting for some notes. A few things that have helped me are:

The 1st string and the 6th string are the same note 2 octaves apart, so knowing notes on the 1st string is the same as knowing notes on the 6th string.

At the 7th fret the notes on the 6th string through to 3rd string are BEAD. I memorize the word 'bead', and since the 1st and 6th strings are the same I now know 5 out of 6 notes at the 7th fret. The note on the 2nd string happens to be F#, which I have to remember separately. Now I have essentially divided the first 12 frets into 2 halves: from the nut to the 6th fret and from the 7th fret to the 12. So now if I have to figure out the position of a note on any string I don't have do as much counting to find it.

The third thing is to know the octave position relations between strings, e.g. between strings 6th and 4th. Since B is at the 7th fret on the 6th string, I know B (one octave up) is at the 9th fret on the 4th string. That helps too.

I'm not a guitar teacher, but these are things that help me know where notes are. I understand the ultimate is to know where a note is without any counting, but I'm not at that level of memorization.

Post Thanks / Like

I have trouble with this also,and I have tried that fret board wizard,but I cheat on that cause I'll just count from the nut or the 12th fret and to me that's not knowing.So I will be glad to hear all these suggestions also.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

How new are these students to guitar? If they are brand new, learning all the notes on the fretboard is going to be an exercise in frustration.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't someone post a link to an online fretboard test a few months ago? It might have been Mark Wein. I thought that was pretty interesting.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold, I am not expecting them to learn this in a week or two. It takes a long time, but by spending a little with this at every lesson, over a number of months, I am convinced they will get it.

Post Thanks / Like

well ok i might be abit odd but i havn't learnt all notes as such, but i know them all.

that doesnt make any sense at all right?

yeah thought so, here's how i think:
    I know the octave and where all notes are in that. so i always know the next note etc.
    I got some "quick" access points on the fretboard that I instantly know the note off (open strings, 5th fret, 12th on all the strings and then it varies from string to string a couple more). So I kinda think of C like "3 away from A" for example.

Sounds like seriously slow way but i know the things instant but this is how i learnt to keep track of them so it's not like i actually think about it anymore but when i was learning i did.

kinda shows that i didn't take lessons but learnt this instrument on my own lol

Post Thanks / Like

When I was learning the notes on the guitar neck, I found this small program invaluable ...

http://www.tonart.com/idg20/

It has a Fretboard Module you can customize that quizzes you on the guitar neck. It has a few other features but the fretboard module is all I ever used it for.

Great forum, by the way.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

This book looks like a winner:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboa...7426370&sr=8-1

I've got a copy and plan on working through it as soon as I get some other things under control.

tung

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tung I just ordered it from Amazon Canada. I need to know the fret board more intimately, and I think this will help. Good reveiws for sure.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that book for a couple of years now, but have been too lazy to dig in and work with it. It is probably the librarian in me, but I hate to mark in books, even books that are supposed to be marked in.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Thanks Tung I just ordered it from Amazon Canada. I need to know the fret board more intimately, and I think this will help. Good reveiws for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

All that has been mentioned is great,but putting in the time and payin' your dues is always needed no matter what method you use! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

i havent even learnt it properly yet..

here goes...low E

E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#.

am i right? its been a while.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good IBjunkie now with your eyes closed.Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Very good IBjunkie now with your eyes closed.Sumi
    and your hands tied behind your back.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast