Thread: Anyone Gig with a Solid State Amp??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone Gig with a Solid State Amp??

Now that I'm starting to get regular paid gigs with my band I'm starting to get concerned about the reliability of my gear, more specifically my Fender HRDlx amp. I've had it for over 10 years (at home) and only started gigging with it recently, it's one of the US made models and completely stock.

What's concerning me is my lack of knowledge when it comes to changing tubes and biasing etc. along with a complete lack of any trustworthy guitar/amp techs in my area.

So I started thinking that there maybe some alternatives to tube amps, I'm not sure if modeling is the way to go when it comes to playing at gig volumes. The Tech 21 Trademark 60 has caught my eye as an analog SS with plenty of beef, although there's no stockists that I can find in Ireland so I'd have to order one from the net without trying it out.

Anything else out there that fits the bill? Or maybe I should just teach myself how to service my tube amp
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Or maybe I should just teach myself how to service my tube amp
    I just learned how to retube and bias my Fender Twin. It's easy. Check out this page... EuroTubes.com - The "How To" Video Page! There's lots of other good info there as well.
    See my photos at: micknewton.smugmug.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have been gigging with bands for about 15 years now and have always used tube amps. I've never had one fail at a show. If you've got an amp that you are use to I'd just gig with it. Stick an extra preamp and power amp tube in your case if you are worried.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I gigged with a solid-state Polytone and also with a Roland JC-120H. That's the only two that spring to my mind although I've been through a truckload of amps in 40+ years.

Post Thanks / Like

I gig with both a SS amp and a MFX/Modeler and it works for me. There are lots of decent SS amps - the Tech 21 TM60 is on my radar too. I DI my modeler thru the PA, so my amp is just for stage sound/monitoring. You can DI the TM60 as well, rather than mic'ing.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the way your Fender sounds, play it. When I was gigging with a tube amp, I always had a couple of spare power and preamp tubes as well as fuses in the gig bag. I also carried a spare amp.....just in case.

I've never had an amp go down at gigs, but I'm a true believer in Murphy's Law, and I like to stay a couple of steps ahead of Murphy.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I had gig with a Peavy Classic Chorus 212 for some years , never had any problem except it was heavy ..
    Maybe the best solid state amp have tried..

Dont forget that you are makin your amp sound good..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I've gigged with a Tech 21 TM60 for most of the last fourteen years (I had some time out with a Blues Junior). Before that I used a Vibrolux Reverb (yes, the TM60 does sound that good) and before that a Rivera-era Fender Concert. I've never had any of those fail me on a gig but those Fenders were both hand wired, not PCB based.
    Come to think of it, the BJr did three years without a hiccup too.

I'd have no hesitation gigging my Cube 60 either, the laughing tends to stop once people have heard it. I'd add an extension cab for really big stages.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I've always gigged with solid state equipment. My rack rig was all solid state, and sounded great. I've used the Crate at several events, too, with nary a problem.

I carried fuses along with me, and a surge protector, because of suspect wiring at some of the places we used to play.

I'd recommend keeping what you have, taking along some extra tubes and fuses, and maybe getting a cheapo backup for emergencies.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

i use a Hybrid amp for gigs.

an original marshall valvestate Mk.I 8100 from the early 90s. if you can find one id recommend it if your worried about retubing and stuff. i think its got like an ECC83 preamp valve in the boost channel or something like that.

and i dont think you need to worry about biasing amps aslong as you only replace tubes with tubes that are exactly the same?

like putting a 12AX7 valve in the place of an old 12AX7 doesnt need biasing does it?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I've gigged with my L5 a few times and other solid state amps in the past. You can get fine tones out of them, but you have to understand that they're not going to behave like tube amps for the most part, so don't expect that. You can get more clarity and better note separation with an SS amp, but you also have to be more finicky about your pedals. OD pedals are typically designed to drive a tube front end, though I've used them on distortion channels of SS amps many times, only with the gain turned down really low so as to emulate a tube amp that is only barely breaking up. Those amps were made in the 80s and the SS fare of today (not counting modelling) usually don't do the semi-distorted thing well.

It's all in your approach. There are lots and lots of very usable amps out there these days, most of the tone is in the fingers and knowledge of the player. I far and away prefer tube amps, but wouldn't look down my nose at certain SS amps in certain situations, nor would I look down on anyone for using one.

Break the mold, do your thing.

Post Thanks / Like

My last gig was in 1983, and I used a Peavey Bandit 65. Still have it today and, now, as then, for a SS amp, it sounds great! I've had other players offer to buy it from me!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    and i dont think you need to worry about biasing amps aslong as you only replace tubes with tubes that are exactly the same?
    In fixed bias amps, you should always rebias when changing the power tubes. However, some amps like Mesa Boogie sell power tubes that are all within the acceptable range, so if you buy power tubes from Mesa, you don't need to rebias. Unfortunately, that doesn't do you any good unless you use their tubes. You have to rebias when using tubes from any other source.

Another type of biasing scheme is called cathode bias. It isn't strictly necessary to rebias the amp when swapping out power tubes in a cathode bias amp, but when I do swap tubes, I usually check the bias to make sure the tubes are operating withing the acceptable range.

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    like putting a 12AX7 valve in the place of an old 12AX7 doesnt need biasing does it?
    Correct. 12AX7/ECC83 tubes are usually cathode biased, so you don't need to rebias them. Most don't even check the bias when swapping out 12AX7s, either as it really isn't necessary for preamp tubes.

tung