Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Beater Epi T-bird for a Benjamin: Got! Now w/more pics

Thread: Beater Epi T-bird for a Benjamin: Got! Now w/more pics

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Beater Epi T-bird for a Benjamin: Got! Now w/more pics

Hey, I can get a sunburst MIK Epiphone Thunderbird bass for $100. Has some small dings/scratches, and a biggish (looks about the size of a quarter) finish chip on the back. I reckon I could Sharpie in the chip and nobody'd be any the wiser.

I don't really need another bass (I have 3 decent cheapies: MIJ Squier P, MIM Fender Jazz, and USA Peavey Fury I) but none of the ones I have have HB's, so I'm thinking this would add a different sound to what I already have.

Plus T-birds just look bad-*ss.

Wot say you?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Brian Krashpad; May 1st, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a call in to the seller. It just went up day before yesterday, and the UF students are gone on pre-summer break, so I'm hoping it's still available.

It's not in terrible shape, probably a kid punk rocker (hey, I'm in Gainesville, after all) seller. Here's the chip on the back, see the bottom corner:

Front doesn't look too bad but I'm sure there's plenty of small things not picked up in the photo:

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I love TBirds and Firebirds. You can do Nikki Sixx impersonations with it too.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

well, you could get one that looks exactly the same for about ten times the price, given that it was tagged "relic'd"
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    well, you could get one that looks exactly the same for about ten times the price, given that it was tagged "relic'd"
    Haha, if it were around a grand it'd be a Gibson rather than an Epiphone methinks.

Man I wish the seller would e-mail me back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

OK, got her. Man, that kid had the action so high you could fly planes under the cables. The strap pins were loose too. I had to go pick up my son from the bus stop after picking her up, so I had to make a decision in about 5 or ten minutes, but I decided to go for it.

Got her home and screwed the bridge way down, in the process fixing the intonation on the low E, tightened one strap peg in, shimmed a twig in the strap pin hole for the other and tightened her down, and we're good to go:

For a Benjie even, I cain't complain.

Biggest surprises: body is really small. I expected it to be big, like an Explorer. Plus, neck heavy like the worst of the SG guitars. No big whup to me, but still a surprise.

:

Post Thanks / Like

i am jealous.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarpk
    i am jealous.
    Haha, thanks I think.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, man. congrats, that was a pretty sweet deal
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, sweet bass!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Sweeeeet Krash.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lads.

The MIC versions are streeting for $299 currently, but this is the older MIK version. I have no way of knowing, but info I've got on other boards indicates that the MIK ones used to street for more (apparently, from the sketchy info I have, the MIK street was at least $400), due to the combination of higher production costs in Korea, plus supposedly the MIK's were mahogany body, while the newer MIC ones are alder. If anyone can confirm or refute any of this, I'd welcome the info.

At any rate, even at the current MIC street of $300, one-third that for used is pretty decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Goth Thunderbird bass

Just got my Goth Thunderbird bass, made in Korea in '06. Put med lt Fender flats on it and it sounds super great. Really glad to have this bass. It has a special tone that is great thru my Marshall MB30 practice amp with drive and clean channels.

I have the Epi special case made for it as well. It is a huge bass, very long.

Your antique stained Tbird looks great.

I'll take some pictures of my Goth and post them soon.

Also just put Fender Vintage Noiseless J bass pups in my new affinity metallic red J bass and they sound really great. The guy also put in a treble bleed resistor so you don't roll the treble off when you turn the volume down. It has a distinct tone that is highly recognizable. I think they are a little known secret. 55 to 105 Fender flats on that J bass. Something about the J bass that I really like.

That trivot type bridge on the Tbird bass has a history going way back, can't remember it but think it was adopted from an old Warmoth design. I think the trivot design can help eliminate difficult fret buzz and allow lower action because of the triangle of bridge adjusting posts in the "A" style bridge. It has the three adjustable points for a reason, just can't remember the actual history and theory of the design.

Great looking Tbird!

Duffy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff49
    That trivot type bridge on the Tbird bass... has the three adjustable points for a reason, just can't remember the actual history and theory of the design.
    The usual height adjustment at each end, the unusual back or forward tilt angle degree with the mid point. In this case, 3 heads are better than 2.