Thread: Rick Derringer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rick Derringer

Just chatted with Rick on Twitter. He's an awesome guy. Check out this clip with Edgar Winter from 1973. Great stuff! I love this song. One of the best rock'n roll songs ever written.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, Robert. Love that song! One of the classics

We opened for The McCoys in Miami in 1967 at Thee Image (a converted bowling alley - made for a great rock venue! The 2 stages were set up where the bowling pins used to be at the end of the alley). I can't remember, but it might have been The McCoys and The Fudge...(The McCoys, for you who don't remember, had the hit 'Hang On Sloopy' [another classic, been compared to being on par with Louie, Louie in the frat-rock genre] and were touring off the fame of that. The band included Rick, with his brother on drums, and his schtick was to drum w/o a stool - standing up, using a regular kit.)

I remember they were running very late and finally showed up knocking at the backdoor just a few hours before showtime, towing a U-Haul trailer behind a car. Rick's eyes were SO freakin' red, he was zonked, man! Back in those days, you would have never figured he'd develop into the accomplished musician and sideman he became.
    Last edited by bigG; May 3rd, 2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to hang out with Rick one night. He's a monster player. We went to the bathroom at the same time and as I was standing at the stall I kept saying in my head "man, I can't believe I'm taking a whizz next to Rick Derringer." He was a lot more laid back than I thought he was going to be. He appears to be a really nice guy all the time. No the bathroom wasn't the only place I was with Rick. He was playing the club I ran sound for.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.