Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What strings do you guys like on your Epi Les Paul Standard

Thread: What strings do you guys like on your Epi Les Paul Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Default What strings do you guys like on your Epi Les Paul Standard

I have a set of Ernie Ball slinky Hybrids 09-46 and am thinking of getting a set of Daddario XL 10's.Guitar won on ebay auction last week will be arriving this week hopefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Post Thanks / Like

Phantom, I have always used D'Addario XLs, .009 - .042. Been the best strings for years, in my opinion. Inexpensive, last forever, and bend easily. I have a set on my Epi LP Standard right now. On all of my 6-string electrics, in fact, except for my Ibanez AF120 jazzbox, that's strung w D'Addario XL .010s.
    Last edited by bigG; May 3rd, 2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I use D'Addario 10's XLs, but suggest you try a few brands until you settle on the one you like. Strings aren't geared towards the guitar, they are geared towards personal preference. Like guitars themselves, everyone has their favorites and not so favorites.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

The cheapest ones I can get in bulk... currently D'Addario EXL110 in the 10-Pack. I used to get the 25-Packs but I have slowed down play considerably in the last 2-years.

Post Thanks / Like

It is all about personal choice. I think .009s are too light for the shorter Gibson scale but that might be what you're looking for. I use .011s on my shorter scale guitars and .010s on my longer scale guitars.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10-46 on Les Paul and short scale guitars. They are less floppy, meaning the tension is better for the shorter scale. I play with a heavy hand at times and with 9s I tend to over bend and my hard attack makes them rattle on the fingerboard too much. I like 10s.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the guitfiddle!

I use D'Addario XLs in 9s on my Strat and 10s on my other guitars, even though they are all 25.5" scale. I like the way the 9s feel on the Strat.

I went through a bunch of different strings over a long time and finally stuck with the D'Addarios. They seem to last a while and keep their tone. I've never broken a string yet.

It's all a matter of personal preference. Try a bunch of different brands and stick with the one you like best.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

D'Addario 10's. Excellent strings, often on sale at $30 for a 10-pack.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but D'Addario 9.5s on all my guitars. They are just right for me.
    I like them on strats and Gibbys equally, I have a set of D'Addario 10s in two of my Les Pauls because they came that way and are still good. On my next change they will go to 9.5s. Check them out.
    http://store.daddario.com/category/1...ht_Plus_9.5-44
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

ones that dont break:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10-46 on mine. My preffered brands are Ernie Ball and D'adario. I've currently got a set of Elixirs on but I'm not convinced they're worth the extra pennies. I prefer a 10 gauge as I'm quite heavy handed and tend to break 9's. Plus they feel and play like rubber bands IMO.
    LesPaulgb; Star Fleet, caring, humanitarian, likes sausage and mash and cookery, has a Les Paul guitar.

My Soundclick
    My Single Father Forum
    My Guitar Forum
    My Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I make my own set 09, 11, 17, 32, 40, 50.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

i us Dunlop 10-13-17-36-52-60 custom heavy Z Wylde series on my Epi LP.. sometimes ill change the bottom 3 to something a little lighter. i prefer the bigger strings for Drop D or C tuning
    Last edited by BigBadWolf1171; February 10th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an Epi LP Standard, but I do have a Gibby LP Classic and a Gibby LP Studio Doublecut. I've never been picky about strings, 10's, or 11's if I can get 'em. Don't have a specific favorite brand or anything. With the number of guitars I have, I just worry about keeping six (or 12 atcmb) strings on all of them, and don't pay much attention past that.

Post Thanks / Like

I use D'Addario 10's on my LP and D'Addario 9's on my strats.
    Although I then on my next string change I am going to try Spudman advice
    and go with the 9.5's just to see how they feel and sound on my strat with the direct mounted pickups.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

EB Regular Slinky .010-.046.

They have served me well.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

I use 11's on 24 3/4" guitars.
    Last edited by hubberjub; February 12th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Patrick