Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How I love wool socks

Thread: How I love wool socks

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How I love wool socks

They are so nice!

I detest cotton socks - I have a bit of what we call "toe beer" in Sweden (sweaty toes) and cottons socks just make the matter worse. My feet feel wet soon after I put them on.

In steps the wool sock - problem solved!
    They are so comfy, and they are warm when it is cold, and cool when it is warm. They don't make my feet feel wet either. Just soft and comfy and dry. :
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I quit wearing cotton socks except when I ride my road bike. Every day wear and hiking, climbing, skiing all get the woollies any more. I switched about 10 years ago when I discovered Smart Wool. I can't stand the acrylic stuff anymore either. Good wool just flat out works!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought wool was warm and made you itch - have I been missing out?

What about wool socks and Crocs?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the contributing factors is that with standard socks air gets trapped between the toes and heats up, providing the perfect breeding ground for "toe beer". In japan here we have 5-toe socks (look like a glove for your feet), which are excellent because no air gets trapped inside. My toe beer disappeared just like that (snaps fingers) after wearing those. They are very comfortable once you get used to them.

Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I always thought wool was warm and made you itch - have I been missing out?

What about wool socks and Crocs?
    Perfect combo.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Smartwools but I seem to wear them out fast...

I find the feeling of sweaty feet (mine!) to be unbearable after a while.

I believe some shoes are better ventilated than others.
    I have a pair of super-comfy New Balance I like a lot, but sadly, they make my feet sweat. They were a thrift shop purchase, so it is not a big deal... (New balance outlet, here, Boston area offers trade-in programs, once in a while).

Other/music: Spouse and me are going to "Battle of the Saxes" tonight... something different!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the wool socks : I love my Merino wool socks and don't know how I got along without them before. I also like Wright socks too, and they wear like iron. A bit expensive, but they last and last!

The thing I like about the merino wool is how they wick moisture. When I canoe I wear sandals so I can step into the water when approaching the shore. Once unloaded I find wool socks so much easier to put on damp feet than other socks, and I can't do a portage without a good sock and solid shoe or boot to help reduce the risk of injury.

Wool is the absolute best!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

You ain't lived 'til you've tried these. Sheep s the one natural resource we have lots of and, as for possums, well we've got to have some way of getting rid of the damn things.

http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/en/c...m_Merino_Socks
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

haha, awesome Mark! Do you know if I can get them in North America somewhere? I am definitely in for ordering some quality socks. The stores around here just have the cotton crap.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing some recently acquired wool socks right now. It's in the 60's inside the house.

Roberto - there are deals out there if you just look around and mail order.

Post Thanks / Like

*muttering* ...we are not having this conversation...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    haha, awesome Mark! Do you know if I can get them in North America somewhere? I am definitely in for ordering some quality socks. The stores around here just have the cotton crap.
    Try this place

http://productsfromnz.com/browse_1025
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that wool socks made your feet warm, and thus more sweaty?? I sweat a lot too so I might have to try to find a pair of wool socks.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I thought that wool socks made your feet warm, and thus more sweaty?? I sweat a lot too so I might have to try to find a pair of wool socks.
    At least 70% marino wool SS and you'll think your feet died and went to Heaven. You know what they say? "once you go wool you'll never go back."