Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Favorite Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Five Favorite Books

Facebook had another top 5 thing going on and I saw that one of our other fretters had answered it. So I did too. These are the ones I listed off the top of my head.

The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
    To Kill a Mockingbird, Lee
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Kesey
    The Martian Chronicles, Bradbury, and
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Twain/Clemens

I am enjoying the Dark Tower series, but I am not ready to say it supplants one of the above yet. What are your five?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread Steve. I will limit myself to one each from Tolkien and King.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell
    The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
    It - Stephen King
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

"The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", "A Separate Reality", "Journey to Ixtlan", et al. - by Carlos Casteneda
    Colossus Trilogy ["Colossus: The Forbin Project", "The Fall of Colossus", "Colossus and the Crab"] - by D.F. Jones
    "Shadowland" - by Peter Straub

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...3&postcount=37

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", "A Separate Reality", "Journey to Ixtlan", et al. - by Carlos Casteneda
    Colossus Trilogy ["Colossus: The Forbin Project", "The Fall of Colossus", "Colossus and the Crab"] - by D.F. Jones
    "Shadowland" - by Peter Straub
    I might have to check those out, they look good.

Of the books I've read in the last few years:

Guns, Germs and Steel / The Third Chimpanzee - Jared Diamond
    Wild Swans - Jung Chang
    In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
    Short Stories - Shiga Naoya
    Moomin series books (Japanese translated version) - Tove Jansson
    The Moomin novels are essentially for kids, but they're highly imaginative, a good read.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

1 Hop on pop
    2 Green eggs and ham
    3 Cat in the hat
    4 One fish two fish red fish blue fish
    5 There's a wocket in my pocket
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many books to choose the top 5 really. As I am going to work by train, I read - constantly!
    Two outstanding books among the last two years were:

Il Gattopardo - Tomasi Di Lampedusa (I have read this in its original Italian version)

The year of living biblically - A.J. Jacobs - a fantastic adventure, a real story

The other topps change from time to time, such as Dan Brown's and Simon Beckett's novels.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I read a lot and try to balance the pulp with the more intellectually stimulating to slow down my brain turning to mush .

Catch 22 by Joeseph Heller
    Foucault`s Pendulum by Umberto Eco
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer
    The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
    Hitler My Part In His Downfall by Spike Milligan.

Maybe you should start a thread on books you`ve read but failed to understand and finish .

Post Thanks / Like

There are too many to list a Top 5, but my all-time favorite is a short read called:

Illusions, by Richard Bach

If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it. I've never read another book like it. Might be life changing - will certainly open up a new way of looking at life. :
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

i simply can't do that, i've read too much. i was a communications/journalism major, then an english lit major, before i went to law school.

same if you asked me my five favorite movies.

so i thought really hard and came up with some authors.

tolkien

stephen king [specifically lisey's story, the stand, the dark tower series, and the talisman, which was written with straub]

steinbeck... [grapes of wrath, of mice and men] [faulkner always gave me a headache]

c.s. lewis

the works of e e cummings... as a poet, he spoke to me. i know that's not a book, but i'm treating this topic openly.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

For me, and keeping in mind that these were major books in subtle ways, that ended up teaching me things about life and myself.

Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand

Shogun - James Clavel

In his own write - John Lennon

Cities in Flight - James Blish

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance,,,,,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good ones Steve! Ok folks, keep 'em coming. They don't have to be strictly all time favorites or anything, just 5 you really like. Seems a good way to get some good summer reading ideas.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some good stuff I've read in the last couple of years. I'll do a music-related list and a general one.

Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music by Hugh Barker and Yuval Taylor
    Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad
    Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil, Gillian McCain
    Guitar: An American Life by Tim Brookes
    Guitar Man: A Six-String Odyssey, or, You Love that Guitar More than You Love Me by Will Hodgkinson

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    et al. ? Man, I stopped after the first three: great stories but I never did get my Jr Shaman badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Jones
    Foucault`s Pendulum by Umberto Eco
    Nice to see Eco on the list. Have you read The Island of the Day Before?

It's nothing like Foucault's Pendulum, but I think that it's a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
    Kavalier & Clay is a great story. Are any of his others any good? I've only read this one.

I found Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell a fun read, but somehow forgettable.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Kavalier & Clay is a great story. Are any of his others any good? I've only read this one.
    I read Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union a couple of years ago and thought it was quite good.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    I read Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union a couple of years ago and thought it was quite good.
    Thankee sai.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

+1. You might not think a detective story set in a Jewish exile community in Alaska would keep you up at night reading, but it definitely will.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see Eco on the list. Have you read The Island of the Day Before?

It's nothing like Foucault's Pendulum, but I think that it's a great book.
    Thirteen years ago I took a year off work and went off on an extended holiday around Australia,NZ and a chunk of SE Asia , in my rucksack for the trip I packed The Island of the Day Before . I lugged that book around for the whole trip , now that should go on my list of failed to understand/finish , I did try but it was to much for me .I was too tight to throw the book away in fact its in my book case now as a reminder of my failure .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I lugged "Anna Karenina" around on a senior year college vacation in the US Virgin Islands. I even used it as a pillow when we had to sleep in the FLA airport on a layover at the end of the trip because we did not save enough money for a hotel room. I still have that copy, and though I was able to write an excellent paper that got me a good grade based on the lectures without even finishing the book, I will re-read it one of these days. The short story Master and Man remains my favorite Tolstoy, although I very much enjoyed all I learned from my study of, if not complete reading of, Anna Karenina
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Jones
    Thirteen years ago I took a year off work and went off on an extended holiday around Australia,NZ and a chunk of SE Asia , in my rucksack for the trip I packed The Island of the Day Before . I lugged that book around for the whole trip , now that should go on my list of failed to understand/finish , I did try but it was to much for me .I was too tight to throw the book away in fact its in my book case now as a reminder of my failure .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I used to read much more. In the last 20 years or so, with a wife and kids I've really slacked off.

This is just a jumble of different things. Some were actually my favorites, although I've forgotten many of them over the years. Some I read fairly recently and so still remember that I enjoyed them.

Revenge of the Lawn - Richard Brautigan
    - I must have read this short book more than 50 times from 1970 to 1990. But if you know this book you will know it is a very quick read

In a sunburned country - Bill Bryson
    - Funny as hell and informative

Something like an autobiography - Akira Kurosawa
    - I read it many years ago, and recently picked it off my bookshelf and read it again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast