Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My SX SST57K just arrived!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SX SST57K just arrived!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My SX SST57K just arrived!

I am going home now to test my SX SST57 kit - it comes with guitar, amp, tuner, cable, strap and picks.

I'll be back soon with more comments!

Somewhat later....

Hmm, everything looks pretty good, except - it has a ROSEWOOD fretboard!

I wanted a maple fretboard, which is why I order the SST57. Sigh. Oh well, not the end of the world, it's still a nice neck.

First impression - the pickups are suprisingly good. The setup isn't great, needs to have the intonation set and some Tru-oil on the neck. I lowered the action a bit and it became friendlier to play. It has great frets.

In summary: it looks very promising. Some adjustments (the nut needs to be replaced) here and there, and I think it will turn out really well.

I'll have to put my Fender CS 54's in this guitar, even though the stock pickups are quite capable. In fact, I think I'll leave the bridge pup in it - I like it and the CS 54 bridge pup is not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Robert; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default why I love this forum

1pen up the box
    2:inspect it
    3:set it up
    4:start moddin'
    5lay it
    6lay it like you live!
    7:mod it some more
    8:have alot of fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Hows the neck, is it smooth? And how is the bridge, is the block zinc? Does it stay in tune good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hmm, everything looks pretty good, except - it has a ROSEWOOD fretboard!

I wanted a maple fretboard, which is why I order the SST57. Sigh. Oh well, not the end of the world, it's still a nice neck.
    i think i would be upset if i was expecting maple and got rosewood...did you contact rondo to see what gives?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Send it back and expect to get a new one a some weeks later, open the box and guess what? Rosewood fretboard again! Just kidding but you should really email and ask them if they can send you a replacement or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed Rondo right away, haven't gotten a response yet.

The neck is nice, frets are awesome. Bridge is cheap, not sure what it's made of. Does not stay in tune if I use the tremolo arm, but I am sure I can improve this a lot my changing the nut and doing some other secret tricks of mine.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn, I need a guitar that stays in tune very good, I have problems palm muting alot of times with my fat ugly hands and I need a bridge that wont move if I put my hand on it, alot of time cheap bridges stretch your strings and you go out of tune every five minutes, maybe I should get the hardtail version, but the bridge on that one is not like a hardtail its more like a gibson type bridge or something

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few pics. It looks really cool! It was supposed to be white but as you can see it's yellow. I like it!

I am not too worried about the fretboard issue. It's a great neck and fretboard anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really cute picture.

I love the color Robert! Is this the "Vintage White" option? The color of yours looks a lot nicer than the pics on Rondo's site. I'm sorry you didn't get the right color fretboard, but I think the rosewood looks awesome with this body color. Did he accidently ship you the 62 kit instead of the 57? You've convinced me to get this color for my Christmas grab gift.

I tell you what... if you really want the maple neck, we could do a swap of necks if you wish. I've got two SX poweder blue 57s, so if I switched one to rosewood it would break them up from looking exactly the same. Just throwing that option out there. (and it already has the improved nut installed).

As for the tuning stability, installing a graph tech nut precut nut and lubricating the friction points will take care of that. I've got both of mine set to float and stay in tune very well. Sounds like you got a winner!

I gave mine a once over, lowered the action, and I love the way it sounds and plays. I may upgrade the tuners and possibly the saddles at some point, but for $99 I'm very happy with mine.

The block is zinc, the pickguard IS shielded, and the wiring is done cleanly.

-trem
    Last edited by tremoloman; August 2nd, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    Darn, I need a guitar that stays in tune very good, I have problems palm muting alot of times with my fat ugly hands and I need a bridge that wont move if I put my hand on it, alot of time cheap bridges stretch your strings and you go out of tune every five minutes, maybe I should get the hardtail version, but the bridge on that one is not like a hardtail its more like a gibson type bridge or something
    A well setup guitar should stay in tune whether it has a hardtail or floating bridge. Perhaps you could opt for the "stop tail" as they call them on Rondo's site?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice color on that strat Robert! But I know how much you wanted a maple neck! Perhaps Rondo could send you one of those SX replacement necks for free?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It's a SST62 they sent me, not a SST57. Only difference is the neck. Rondo said I could ship it back and they would send me the right one. I denied it though. I think maybe "it was meant to be" - I should keep this one It's silly and a waste of resources to send it back just for the neck being different. It also looks cool the way it is. And, I played it a heck of a lot already and took all the plastic stuff off, so it's not in brand new condition anymore.

Can you believe this guitar has a price tag of $69.99 - insane! It is not as good as a MIM Fender Strat, but it is a decent guitar for such peanut amounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Can you believe this guitar has a price tag of $69.99 - insane! It is not as good as a MIM Fender Strat, but it is a decent guitar for such peanut amounts.
    Where did you find this guitar for $69.99? I freaking LOVE that color with the rosewood neck.

I agree it's not a MIM, but then again it's also $300 cheaper. I'd take 3 SX's over 1 MIM anyday and use the remaining $100 for upgrades. Maybe we should start a forum called "The Cheapo Depot"

Hope you like your SX Robert! I just required one of my Powder Blue SSTs with all new pots for the hell of it. I need to get a life!

Post Thanks / Like

It said in the slip the shipping box the guitar itself is $69.99 and the the amp and the other doodads make up for the other $30 I imagine. I don't think you can buy this one just by itself for $69.99 though.

I like the SX, but I am still in my "evaluation period", don't want to say too much just yet...

And that yellow color.... ain't it just too funky!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    Maybe we should start a forum called "The Cheapo Depot"
    I thought this was the cheapo depot???

Robert that color is SO nice.. I can understand that its a keeper!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Swede
    Is that the color your white guitar becomes when you spray it with Bull Elk Urine?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as a matter of fact the color is known as creamy elk urine yellow. Fender collectors pay tons of dollars for a original urine strat.

Post Thanks / Like

I put in my Fender CS 54 pickups today. I am also doing the Tru-oil trick to the neck, and I'll put on two coats. Right now the neck is drying. I will put it together again for a test drive later tonight.

Kurt said he'll give me free shipping on next order because of the screw-up, so I guess I need to think about what to order! Maybe I should attempt the SST57 this time...we'll see. I was also thinking about the SX electric/acoustic too, they seem to get good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

i think you should get this one and let me...uhh i mean us...know how it is!

http://www.rondomusic.net/shm91so.html

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast