Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Chorus pedal do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

There are some distinctive chorus pedal users that you may recognize. John Scofield is the king of strange chorus sounds. He uses a high speed and depth to get a bizarre warbley sound on some of his phrases. Many other metal players use a slow rate and shallower depth to add fullness to everything they do.

I find that the more subtle and less noticeable chorus is my favorite. It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Arion SCH-1 rocks! It's on eBay all the time.

The cheaper Arion SCH-Z is similar, and I've heard it's good too.

Scofield uses and old purple vintage Ibanez chorus, which sounds amazing. Bet it would be quite expensive and hard to find these days.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I looked at that one when I was shopping (looked at you review of course), but they were typically twice used what the Boss that Swede favors was, so I went that way.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Scofield uses and old purple vintage Ibanez chorus, which sounds amazing. Bet it would be quite expensive and hard to find these days.
    I know someone who has one.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Spud, what is the model name? Do you have one, or does Tone?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the Ibanez CS-9?
    I love guessing games....
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Wait a minute ... my Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus pedal has a purple label! I bought the Boss CE-5 because I thought the CS-5 had gone bad. If this is true, then it goes to show I do not know how to dial in a good chorus. I will have to follow Spud's advice and tweak it to a “subtle and less noticeable chorus … It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.”

Spuds, you are a ton knowledge!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know who that is too. (Edit: deleted comment because it gave it away!)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Is it the Ibanez CS-9?
    I love guessing games....
    Yep, but I won't tell who has it. I will let someone else admit that. Hint: I figured it out reading an offhand comment in and old post some time ago. I would highly doubt anyone would be able to find the post without just stumbling onto it like I did.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Wait a minute ... my Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus pedal has a purple label! I bought the Boss CE-5 because I thought the CS-5 had gone bad. If this is true, then it goes to show I do not know how to dial in a good chorus. I will have to follow Spud's advice and tweak it to a “subtle and less noticeable chorus … It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.”

Spuds, you are a ton knowledge!
    Where did Spud talk about that? I missed that thread or read over it somewhere. I always want to learn about dialing things in. Especially learning "touch" with aspects of effect and tone.

EDIT: Wait, I found it. I had missed the last few posts on this thread.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the chorus on my AD30VT and ZOOM 505II, neither of which I'm particularly thrilled with. I liked the old DOD bass chorus I used to have back in the day. I know I can get chorusy sounds out of my EX7 through the Univibe and A/DA flanger models, but I haven't messed with those much.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

OK, after extensive research I have now removed my foot from my mouth. I am happy to report that after an exhausted search and study on the famous purple Ibanez chorus pedal; I now know two people who possess this pedal.

The first, as reported by Robert is John Scofield : http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_rig_john_scofield.html.

The second is a brother Fretter. The name is withheld for the same reason quoted by Sunvalleylaw.

I guess the purple label on my Ibanez C-5 does not equal the actual vintage purple pedal! The difference is more than tone.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Maxon Vintage CS-550 ...

Very very lush and definitely not digital sounding at all ...
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot ...

I am also in the market for an Electro Harmonix Clone Theory ...

And the guys over at the Gear Page seem to live and die by the Analog Man chorus pedals ...
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Then there is always the Small Clone reportedly favored by Cobain. There isd a re-issue unit out, or you can try and find an old one. I would enjoy playing around with one just out of curiousity. My Boss CE-5 seems to give me what I want for now, and more.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have a looksie for a Boss CE-5 unit. I'd like to add one to my little pedal board. I've got chorus built into my JC amp, but sometimes I'd like a bit of chorus through the C30.

After that, I think I'll start saving for the RC-2 Looper... that should keep me happy for a while

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    I think I may have a looksie for a Boss CE-5 unit. I'd like to add one to my little pedal board. I've got chorus built into my JC amp, but sometimes I'd like a bit of chorus through the C30.

After that, I think I'll start saving for the RC-2 Looper... that should keep me happy for a while

Cheers,
    David
    I think you will be happy with it. I went with it after listening to Swede's advice. I like mine well enough, though I do not use it a ton and do not know enough to tell you many of the differences between it and the CH-1 or others people have mentioned. It seems versatile and is a tank like any Boss. As for the looper, you may want to find a good used RC20-xl. At a demo I attended, it seemed to have a few more options over the stompbox sized RC-2, not that I can name any right now. Still The RC-2 works well for Tone and I think Justaguy.

Hey, Pes Laul Kris! How do you like that Cobain-y EH small clone? Did you check out a Boss when you shopped?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Even though this is a very old thread, since it was resurrected I'll also post here that Guitar Center has the DigiTech Chorus Factory which models several popular chorus pedals for $49. I'm seriously considering it, since (as I mentioned long ago) I'm not a big fan of the AD30VT's chorus.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve... I appreciate the input!

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast