Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boost recommendations?

After hearing Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers, I'm inspired to try playing with just a boost pedal, since that's what his guitarist was doing. He was very clean but also warm and smooth/bright. If that makes sense.

I've been playing with some of my OD pedals and trying to see how they do as a boost - turn up the level, turn down the gain. Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if that's going to do the trick. You can see my pedals in my sig.

Or would I be better off just getting a regular boost pedal? If so, what's a good inexpensive one? Don't even bother recommending boutique stuff. Can't afford to go that route.

I'm looking at the BBE Frequency Boost, which sounds like it might work with my rig, since my guitars and amp tend to be pretty dark/warm, unlike most Fender stuff. I'm even considering the Dano Fish and Chips and using the boost function there.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Heard that this onehttp://www.guitarpedalstore.com/guit...r-Pedalhttp:// was doin allright for the price but i would recommand a Xotic RC Booster ..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have said your TS or SD-1 would cover the boost thing quite nicely. Not really a transparent boost though, they will bump the mids. I used to use a stock TS5 or a DOD OD250 to kick my Pro Jr. Mostly the TS5 with gain low, level high and then dial in the tone control to push the sound out front.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Marshall blues breaker II, it has 2 functions, it's a pretty bad overdrive but flick the switch to function 2 and it's an excellent clean boost. I'm using at gigs every week now and it is brilliant for boosting solos. The added bonus is that it's not expensive at all.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I'd have said your TS or SD-1 would cover the boost thing quite nicely. Not really a transparent boost though, they will bump the mids. I used to use a stock TS5 or a DOD OD250 to kick my Pro Jr. Mostly the TS5 with gain low, level high and then dial in the tone control to push the sound out front.
    I've fiddled a bit with both of them, and they're pretty mid-heavy, as you say. Just depends what you like, I guess. I'm looking for more of a clean boost, I think.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Marshall blues breaker II, it has 2 functions, it's a pretty bad overdrive but flick the switch to function 2 and it's an excellent clean boost. I'm using at gigs every week now and it is brilliant for boosting solos. The added bonus is that it's not expensive at all.
    I've never used one. Not sure if GC carries them, but I'll look around. Thanks.

I also re-discovered my Behringer EQ-700. It's got 15Db of boost, and if I leave the other sliders flat, it's a pretty clean boost and sounds nice, I can also shape the sound subtly by moving the sliders. The only drawback is it's a pretty hissy pedal. I realize that boosting anything will amplify the noise, but I wonder if other EQ pedals might be quieter.

Post Thanks / Like

birv2,
    You maybe could check out this old thread. Robert loves this pedal, or at least he did 2 yrs. ago. Maybe he'll check in on this.............

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ght=1963+boost
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I've had pretty good luck with a Behringer PB100. It has bass and treble controls and plenty of gain. That might be a cheap way to check out a boost.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE - just bought a Dano Fish and Chips 7-band EQ. I've read some reviews and people said it's not noisy and has a good clean boost. Got it for $15 plus shipping off ebay.

Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    UPDATE - just bought a Dano Fish and Chips 7-band EQ. I've read some reviews and people said it's not noisy and has a good clean boost. Got it for $15 plus shipping off ebay.

Stay tuned.
    That sounds like a good deal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The 19 Sixty 3 as mentioned is a nice one. Very simple but creates gorgeous tone with my tube amps. Same with the RC Booster, although it has more options. Yummy.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned.
    Good choice...love mine!

Post Thanks / Like

I use both the Fish and Chips and a BBE Boosta Grande clean boost pedal. It's a good combo, although I really only use the F&C for when I want a midrangy Sabbath sound. Very happy with the BBE pedal, it really brought some of my less exciting guitars to life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I use both the Fish and Chips and a BBE Boosta Grande clean boost pedal. It's a good combo, although I really only use the F&C for when I want a midrangy Sabbath sound. Very happy with the BBE pedal, it really brought some of my less exciting guitars to life.
    Boosta Grande is another great pedal. Affordable, beautiful simplicity.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the Fish and Chips today. So far I am LOVING it. Almost no noise, the boost seems very clean and transparent, but the sound can be shaped with very slight adjustments with the other sliders. It will take some time to play with the possibilities, but now I see why people say an EQ is the one pedal you have to have. Add in some clean boost, and we've got a winner.

I also played a bit with putting it before my modded SD-1 and really liked the smooth OD I was getting.

Only had about half an hour to play with it, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

I still think I'd like to try a Boosta Grande as well, though.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the Fish and Chips today. So far I am LOVING it. Almost no noise, the boost seems very clean and transparent, but the sound can be shaped with very slight adjustments with the other sliders. It will take some time to play with the possibilities, but now I see why people say an EQ is the one pedal you have to have. Add in some clean boost, and we've got a winner.

I also played a bit with putting it before my modded SD-1 and really liked the smooth OD I was getting.

Only had about half an hour to play with it, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

I still think I'd like to try a Boosta Grande as well, though.

Bob
    Boosta Grande does one thing...does it well, but you have more flexibility with a 29 dollar Fish & Chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackstar HT-Boost.

valve driven boost pedal from blackstar.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish and Chips update

Went to the jam last night and played my JV strat through my Pro Jr. I had a new pedal combination: Dano Fish and Chips EQ through an Arion Tubulator.

I set the EQ in a little smiley face, boosted the volume about 10db, set the amp on 4, and let her rip. Wow. It cut through like crazy, and when I wanted a solo, I stepped on the Arion, which I had set with the level very low, and the gain about half way. Awesome smooth, thick tones.

I also handed my guitar to another player and sat back and listened, which was a first for me. It sounded great! This was with only the EQ.

Had more compliments than ever on my playing and tone. And all with my low-end gear -- got the Tubulator for 11.99 and the F&C for about 25. The Pro Jr is Fender's low end of the Hot Rod series, and the JV strat is MIM. Of course, I have made some changes to most of these:

Tubulator has Indyguitarist Brent Mason mod
    Pro Jr has Ragin Cajun speaker and JJ tubes
    JV strat has Custom Shop 54 pickups.
    F&C is stock

I really do think that boost had a lot to do with the good tone, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried an OD from MXR at the practice room from my friend's rig and thought it was good but made exceptional noise when the guitar is not being played. Will I also need a Hush or some other gate to use an OD? That hiss really annoys.
    Jackson Rhoads RR24(EMG81), C#
    Mesa Triple Rectifier
    BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i
    Mesa 4x12 cab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast