Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way!

Well guys,

This is a bit of a surprise to me, but I've decided to get an Epi G-400 SG copy. It's on order and should get to my local GC next week.

Kind of a weird feeling. Totally NOT the guitar I pictured myself buying. I hope against hope that I can pull of some reasonable instro-surf with it as well as psychobilly/rockabilly stuff. I purchased a Peavey Vyper 15 amp as well. Again, hoping that I can get some of the diverse range of sounds I'm looking for out of this set-up.

Why go with the SG you might ask? Well, with my particular finger issue on my fret hand index, the neck just felt the best. That is the main reason. Other than that, I felt that the value to be had for $349 was quite exceptional. Much better than the $299 Epi LP 100 IMHO and on par with the Epi LP Standard which goes for $429 or more. What a difference between the LP 100/G-310 and the LP Standard/G-400's! Not just in the set neck vs. bolt-on, but in just the overall fit and finish. This mind you is coming from a noob, so I'm sure there are even more differences to the trained eye.

Other guits I tried out extensively: Epi LP's; Ibanez various inc. semi-hollows; Mexi-strats; and Squires. The semi-hollows that I looked at felt ridiculously bulky and had no weight to their sound. Sound-wise I felt the same about the strats/squires. Just too thin!

Again, I hope I don't regret my decision (I'm terrible about buyer's remorse!). I think that for punk, metal, blues, and classic rock I will be sitting pretty with the SG clone. The instro-surf and rockabilly are the only ones that I wonder about. Also, hope that it sounds good clean. It seemed okay when I fooled around at GC but again I'm a noob.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to getting it and quite frankly, if it doesn't do EVERYTHING that I want, then I guess the wife will just have to agree to another guitar down the road a little bit.
    RIG 1:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony G-400 SG "Fast Eddie"
    Amplifier: Peavey Vypyr 15
    Effects: I think the amplifier has a bunch built in....

RIG 2:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony Dreadnought "Cinder"
    Amplifier: Big Hole in Center of Guitar
    Effects: Various Picks & Gnarled Fingers

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    ...if it doesn't do EVERYTHING that I want, then I guess the wife will just have to agree to another guitar down the road a little bit.
    What is "EVERYTHING" that you want it to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they look pretty cool relaxing on the porch . That's an Epi Vintage G-400 I had for a while. It was a pretty good guitar, we just didn't bond the way I'd hoped.

My best tip for these is to get a wide grippy leather strap 'cos they'll go for your ankles as soon as you take your fretting hand away.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    My best tip for these is to get a wide grippy leather strap 'cos they'll go for your ankles as soon as you take your fretting hand away.
    That is precisely why I've never gotten one. I love the sound and the neck but the balance is an issue for me. I've found better balanced guitars to fill the bill, but congratulations anyway. I hope you enjoy yours.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That is precisely why I've never gotten one. I love the sound and the neck but the balance is an issue for me. I've found better balanced guitars to fill the bill, but congratulations anyway. I hope you enjoy yours.

I guess it's a good thing that I plan to play it "stand up bass" style whilst I kneel next to it then!?

Seriously, though, I hope it doesn't prove to be a problem that I can't get past. Honestly didn't put a strap on it and play it standing when I was testing it out. Shoot! I guess I can always return it if it's unbearable. Though, I have to admit I have no clue as to whether there would be any "restocking" fees, etc. if I did return it.
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Welp, the new axe got to GC on Friday. I picked it up and jammed with it and the new amplifier last night for an hour or so....

Here's a terrible pic taken with my iPhone:

Let's see.....so far, I'm head over heels in love! Love the neck shape and the action is super low with no buzz. SO much easier for fingering than the acoustic!

Regarding the overly heavy neck that some of you mentioned....I didn't seem to have any trouble although I will say that the strap I bought for it seems to be pretty grippy. We'll see how it goes.

Now I just have to figure out a name for this Weapon of Mass Destruction and it'll be a true member of the family!
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new guitar. Looks nice from the pic.

Name it "Fast Eddie."
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new git and amph VP, It sounds like a good marriage to me

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Very good, Viking! Glad you like your choice! Sounds like a winner to me!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Congrats on the new guitar. Looks nice from the pic.

Name it "Fast Eddie."

I'm considering that suggestion. Thanks! It actually drove me to look into who "Fast Eddie" is because my first thought was, "Wow, Eddie Van Halen played an SG at some point?": Very cool that he played guitar for Motorhead. Funny thing is, I thought of calling the SG "Lemmy" just because that would be cool. Coincidence? You be the judge.
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Congrats on the new git and amph VP, It sounds like a good marriage to me

M29

Thank you!
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    Very good, Viking! Glad you like your choice! Sounds like a winner to me!

Thanks bigG!
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Looks just like the one I used to have!

Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Looks just like the one I used to have!

[IMG][/IMG]

Congrats!

Sweet! I'll have to work on my flexibility a bit to pull that off!:
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Sweet! I'll have to work on my flexibility a bit to pull that off!:
    I find that a couple pitchers of beer is a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Fast Eddie it is!
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Fast Eddie it is!
    Then I dedicate this video to you:

Fast Eddie Clarke of Fastway and Motorhead.

:

Cool axe, I've always wanted an SG.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new guitar, VP. I was particularly impressed by your description of it as a "Epi G-400 SG copy", which is exactly what it is. I find it interesting how so many Epi owners refer to their instruments by the Gibson names (G400=SG, Dot=335), as if that makes them the same thing. I had 2 SGs back in the day, and the neck-heavy aspect wasn't a big deal - hell, you can attach a five pound weight to the body and call it a Les Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast