Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking axe ! congrats!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Man, VP, that's a perfect neck for your digit infirmity. Just went and checked one out yesterday (I learned on a Gibby SG Junior years ago) and I must say I was impressed by the G-400 in every way. And at $349 it's a steal!

Congrats on finally naming her...er, him! :
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Congrats on your new guitar, VP. I was particularly impressed by your description of it as a "Epi G-400 SG copy", which is exactly what it is. I find it interesting how so many Epi owners refer to their instruments by the Gibson names (G400=SG, Dot=335), as if that makes them the same thing. I had 2 SGs back in the day, and the neck-heavy aspect wasn't a big deal - hell, you can attach a five pound weight to the body and call it a Les Paul.

NICE!
    RIG 1:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony G-400 SG "Fast Eddie"
    Amplifier: Peavey Vypyr 15
    Effects: I think the amplifier has a bunch built in....

RIG 2:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony Dreadnought "Cinder"
    Amplifier: Big Hole in Center of Guitar
    Effects: Various Picks & Gnarled Fingers

:

Post Thanks / Like

Fast Eddie Felson from the Hustler and Color of Money movies yeehaa.

Fastway was a very kick butt band....I loved the music they did for the Trick or Treat sound track

Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the G400! :
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new G400. I sure like mine! : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Name

Heywood,

I don't know man, my '66 EPi SG copy of a Gibson has the SG nametag right on the truss rod cover and is an authorized by Gibson issue.

To me it is an SG and it is really nice trans cherry with nice details not to mention great pickups and feel. I also just bought a Gibson SG and I must say that it sounds better than the Epi SG.

But as far as I'm concerned an SG is an SG, as long as it is built to relatively close specs. Even my ESP LTD Viper is basically an SG, considering the SG style to an architype.

This type of thing has been argued extensively with those of one group going with the corporate line of exclusive use of the name, and others that recognize the "style" as a strat, tele, SG, LP, etc. Companies can't put the names on their instruments, although Epiphone can, but we can call them by their styles just as a communication tool; basically grouping guitars into style groupings.

So, since the Epiphone SG's are labelled as SG's legally and produced legally by Epiphone, I think it is totally appropriate to call them SG's in every sense of the word, unlike the Viper which simply has the SG mystique.

My Viper fifty, by the way, sounds, feels, and plays really great. ESP makes some great guitars.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff49
    My Viper fifty, by the way, sounds, feels, and plays really great. ESP makes some great guitars.
    Off-Topic, but how do they compare to the Epi SGs? I've been thinking of getting a Viper 50, not sure whether the bolt-on neck would effect the sustain though. That and I'd be tuning it to Drop-B, and I'm not sure if it could handle that.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Viper

I have the Epiphone SG, the '66 Gibson Standard copy. It is awesome. I also have the Viper fifty, inexpensive SGish copy.

The Epiphone is a nicer guitar and sounds great and is fancy with lots of nice details; but the Viper fifty is inexpensive and has hot pickups and is a great guitar with great sustain, really great sustain. In fact I like it as much as the Viper 400, if not more.

The Viper has great sustain. Really great sustain. Think about sustain: Hendrix had great sustain needlesstosay and he played bolt on neck guitars a lot. He actually played an SG for a while if I'm not mistaken. The SG would have been set neck. My Viper has really good sustain and a great tone. Try one out. Mine is deep cherry red solid color and looks great. It is a comfortable guitar as well. I got it barely used for 150 at a local store and it still had the plastic on the pickups and tuners. Somebody never used it.

I also have a new faded brown Gibson SG that sounds and plays better than either of the other two SG style guitars I have. But it cost a lot more as well.

Hope this helps.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12