Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
You and I have discussed this, but I guess this is why I prefer rosewood/spruce Martins. I like that throbbing, low end that almost vibrates you. : Nothing against Taylors or those who prefer them, just not my sound.
Same here, SVL. I've got nothing against Taylors. They are what they are, and they make a fine guitar for what they are. I've played on many of them...friends' guitars and trying them out in the stores, new and used. Personally, to my ears and the acoustic tones I desire, the 3 Tacoma's I've owned and the 2 Taks I still own all kicked their a$$, hands-down. The best butt-kicker of them all, by far, was a Tacoma JK28C-E4 Koa/Spruce cutaway Jumbo that I sold to Rocket several months ago. When I bought it, I'd A-B'd it against a used Taylor 914 model, a top-dawg.

It's those thin tops...they take the heart right out of a Rosewood back/sides.

It's so tricky to contain the low-freqs of a big-sounding acoustic when recording it, such that they don't overpower the presence of the critical mids and clarity of the highs. A Taylor's naturally mid/high-boosted (or bass-cut) tone makes it much easier.