Thread: Good cheap delay pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good cheap delay pedal?

I'm looking to add a bit of delay. By a bit I mean not U2 or rockabilly. I'm just wanting a bit to warm up my blues playing and give it a bit more depth.

Cheap -- under $40. Can this be done? I'm looking at the Fab Echo and some other cheapies.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

FAB echo would be the cheapest I think.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You also might try to find a DOD DFX9 Digital Delay. I bought one off of Craigslist for $40 a while back. There are also the FX90 and FX96 Analog delays. People have discovered the FX90 and '96 so the prices are going up, but you may be lucky and find one cheap on Craigslist.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    You also might try to find a DOD DFX9 Digital Delay. I bought one off of Craigslist for $40 a while back. There are also the FX90 and FX96 Analog delays. People have discovered the FX90 and '96 so the prices are going up, but you may be lucky and find one cheap on Craigslist.

tung
    +1

or the Dano PB & J.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like your delays dark and analogue sounding, you might try a Belcat (sometimes Crossfire) delay. Not bad for about US$20. There's been a lot of good stuff about the First Act delay (Walmart or Toys'r'us) at about $40 too.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dano Dan echo which I got off ebay for £25UK, around $38USD, Immaculate condition very warm and versatile, with a short/long delay toggle switch too. I have a thing for these big Dano pedals.
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Post Thanks / Like

i have the marshall echohead, it has 6 delay models on it and i think i paid about £50GPB for it.

its got like hi-fi reverb/delay on it, which is good if you want a deeper reverb sound. and reverse delay and tape echo for a more 70s/80s ballad kinda sound.

good for RATM too :
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

"Good" and "cheap" rarely go hand in hand... cheap is usually just cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

the marshall echohead, in my opinion, is more versatile that the BOSS DD. and usually cheaper too.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Danecho from someone on the gearpage. $30. I should be getting it this week. Looks like it might be just what I'm hankering for.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

The Ibanez DE7 is highly regarded and only around 70 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by schenkadere
    The Ibanez DE7 is highly regarded and only around 70 bucks.
    I wish that one had a tap tempo option or mod, and I would likely be in. I would like a tap tempo equipped delay to add to my MXR. I am keeping my eye out for the smaller version of Spud's Line6 M13 stompbox modeler that is reportedly coming out. That unit could add that delay, and a coupla other effects that I would maybe dedicate to end of chain or effects loop oriented stuff.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Got the DanEcho, and it does look like it's just what I need. Tap tempo isn't something I really need at the moment.