Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Beck: Live @ Ronnie Scotts

Post Thanks / Like

Default I bring FLAMES upon myself...

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    ["Have you noticed, at age 64, he still looks like he did when he was 30! I sure don't!...
    ...In the first tier of electric guitarists, I'll name 3 who I think were the TRUE innovators: Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Each of them were pioneers who took the guitar to new heights in their own unique way.

The second tier would include EVH and Stanley Jordan..."]
    OK. First, I have always considered Jeff to be among the greatest of guitar innovators. Still do!

But nobody has real hair like that at 64.

Is Jeff Beck wearing a wig?

(...and always the same length, too)!
    I'd listen in awe, regardless. Really! But mine own hair, along with almost everybody else, went south somewhere by my late 40s, at the latest.

For innovation in rock, I'd put Eddie in the top tier — although technically played to death now, his tapping was quite unique and developed for it's time. Its impact is still seen even here, by Jeff Beck, to some minor extent.

OK. Bombs away...let me have it.
    Last edited by BrettS; May 25th, 2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: vanity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    OK. First, I have always considered Jeff to be among the greatest of guitar innovators. Still do!

But nobody has real hair like that at 64.

Is Jeff Beck wearing a wig?

(...and always the same length, too)!
    I'd listen in awe, regardless. Really! But mine own hair, along with almost everybody else, went south somewhere by my late 40s, at the latest.

For innovation in rock, I'd put Eddie in the top tier — although technically played to death now, his tapping was quite unique and developed for it's time. Its impact is still seen even here, by Jeff Beck, to some minor extent.

OK. Bombs away...let me have it.
    No bombs, Brett! This is all personal opinion, subjective - no one is "right", including me (he said w humility). I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. Thanks for posting yours!

I was wondering abt his hair, too, I would think it's certainly dyed at least. Great hair, though, no matter! Yeah, mine went south within the last 10 years. I'm 58, got tired of long hair that was thinning on top (looked stupid to me), so I buzzed it all off abt 4 years ago.

But he also looks fit, no beer gut, etc...it's not just his hair. And his face isn't nearly as "craggy" as Jagger or Richards - he just looks much younger than his years, in every way! to him, whether it's good, clean living or in his genes...credit where credit is due, eh!

And, Brett, this isn't aimed at you. Just something everyone needs to understand, I think: So many arguments, fights and misunderstandings are started over opinions that are of a subjective nature, which is not only silly, but dumb. People need to UNDERSTAND that certain "arguments" are merely subjective, such as YOUR favorite car, YOUR favorite guitar or amp, YOUR favorite movie or TV show, etc, etc,...The world would be a much kinder, understanding place, I think!

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished? That's not the way I feel, I assure you. I came up gigging on bass and rhythm long ago, and I'm told I was pretty good. But I was never a lead guitarist, and that's what I'm working on now. My goal is to become a good, if not very good, lead guitarist. Granted my bass and rhythm experience gives me a big boost towards this goal, but I'll admit right now that I'm no great shakes at lead guitar, and many, or most of the soundclips posted on here are by much better players than I am. I'm just another picker like everyone else, trying to learn and improve every day. I hope this clears up any preconceived notions or misconceptions about me that any fretter might have - I assure you, I am just one of the guys, and certainly not better than anyone else, in any way. How's that for a bit of soul-bearing! )
    Last edited by bigG; May 26th, 2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Good reply! Yeah, Jeff kept off the weight, and he looks great.

Used to do corporate interviews, mostly mid-aged females.

I was amazed that by ~40, many of the admitted long term cigarette smokers and people with lots of prior sun exposure looked much older, esp. in facial wrinkles and coloration...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I added this to my last post here

Don't know who all saw it, as I added it a bit later after the original post. I thought it bared repeating so that those who only read the original post might see it:

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished? That's not the way I feel, I assure you. I came up gigging on bass and rhythm long ago, and I'm told I was pretty good. But I was never a lead guitarist, and that's what I'm working on now. My goal is to become a good, if not very good, lead guitarist. Granted my bass and rhythm experience gives me a big boost towards this goal, but I'll admit right now that I'm no great shakes at lead guitar, and many, or most of the soundclips posted on here are by much better players than I am. I'm just another picker like everyone else, trying to learn and improve every day. I hope this clears up any preconceived notions or misconceptions about me that any fretter might have - I assure you, I am just one of the guys, and certainly not better than anyone else, in any way. How's that for a bit of soul-bearing! )
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know who all saw it, as I added it a bit later after the original post. I thought it bared repeating so that those who only read the original post might see it:

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. ...Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished?
    I never picked up any of that. No worries!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, man!
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Post Thanks / Like

Brett im 43 and have long brown hair to my waist or so. I have 3 boys and no grey hairs I do got them in my beard if grown but those are freakin white!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Brett im 43 and have long brown hair to my waist or so...
    OK, I'm pissed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Hairy Story (Condensed Version)

I hear ya , mr. mud. My hair was to my waist for years, since my late 20s. I dug it, the chickies dug it, all was right w the world. I had been a gigging, recording, touring musician, then I owned a record store for abt 3 years - good stuff...best years of my life!

Then it started going gray, then white in my late 40s. Still cool.

THEN it was all white and real thin on top in my mid-50s. In abt 2004, I also had a walrus mustache. Long story short, I was in Circuit City checkin out CDs (SACDs actually - bummed me out when SACD didn't make it. I have an SACD player and abt 400 SACDs, so I'm pretty well set, though. LOVED that hi-res format!***)...back to the story: this lady in her 40s walked up to me and said I reminded her of David Crosby. Well, that tore it!!!! It was within weeks that I went to Walgreens and bought barber's shears and SHAVED my head!

(***Just part of my 1,500+ CD collection, 3,000+/- vinyl LPs and abt 300 45 rpm vinyl singles...that I'm very proud to own. ALOT of collectables in there!)

I nearly puked after I'd done it. Felt like a sell-out. But, it was all to the good. SO liberating. I had been having a hard time w the FL heat, tired of taking long showers and blow-drying my hair, etc...Now it's just a quick 5 min shower and no hair to worry abt or keep me sweatin'.

Worked in well w my plan to simplify my life as much as possible. It's kind of a bummer to look like a "regular" 58 y/o man, having waved my freak-flag high for SO many years, but with a closely shaven head and white 'stache and goatee, I can still pass for a jazz musician, so I don't really look like a "regular" old man - more like a regular old-fart jazz cat!

Oh well, it is what it is, as they say. In the end, I'm glad I did it. At least that's what I keep telling myself...
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Post Thanks / Like

How about a picture of yourself here BigG..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4682&page=14
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

["I hear ya , mr. mud...this lady in her 40s walked up to me and said I reminded her of David Crosby. Well, that tore it!!!! It was within weeks that I went to Walgreens and bought barber's shears and SHAVED my head!..."]
    Hey, even David Crosby has to get old! (Well, then again, he almost didn't make it. Never mind). Anyhow, I feel better again.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, Amazon has the Live at Ronnie Scotts album for $5 right now on their MP3 store, although I just noticed that the CD/MP3 album doesn't have the guest appearances on it. You'll need the DVD for that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Rev, I got the DVD just days after posting this originally ($14.99 locally). I think the DVD is the #1 way to go, obviously for the upclose Beck technique, etc...If they'd had the CD, I would've bought that, too, but as a secondary choice.
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12