Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck: Live @ Ronnie Scotts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeff Beck: Live @ Ronnie Scotts

(I think that was the title.) Has anyone else seen this on TV or DVD? Absolutely, jaw-droppingly amazing!

There's a cable channel called Palladia that's only offered in HD. Owned by Viacom (MTV, VH1 and many other channels), I have it where I live, and it's the best music channel I've seen. Man, they offer great concert vids, club vids, documentaries...really good stuff that you wanna watch. I caught this Jeff Beck show last night (2 hours) and words can't describe how blown away I was. Just think of every superlative in the book and it applies!

I thought I was pretty familiar w all of Beck's unconventional style and tricks, but man, was I wrong! He was doing stuff last night that I have never seen him or anyone else do before. A relatively small club setting, killer gear and sound = perfect for Beck and his three compadres (yes, Tal was on bass - God, she's great!) Each of the four musician's are absolute masters at what they do, and the fun and musical interplay between them is pure magic.

I remember thinking to myself: man, if he's not an alien from another planet, then he is certainly super-human. Mere humans just can't do that amazing stuff w such apparent ease and grace!

I must check to see if this is offered on DVD. It's a must buy! And, after the Beck 2 hour show, was an hour long Who concert in the UK from 2006 (!) and then - a REPEAT of the 2 hour Jeff Beck show, and I watched it again with glee! Great channel, that Palladia! Oh, and prior to the first Beck show airing was the 81-82 Stones Tour vid (another 2 hours)! (I happened to catch this Stones tour in Orlando in 1981, and still have the t-shirt to prove it.)

What a GREAT Saturday night I had - 7 hours of great, great music - non-stop! In HD and 5.1 surround sound! But, even being the Who lover and Stones fan that I am, it was Jeff Beck who stole the night! Truly, really, honestly AMAZING! Did I already say that?! :
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

It is on DvD , a must have for Beck s fan ..Nicest concert you can see in a small London club with first class musician.. I love it..

http://www.amazon.com/Performing-Thi...2566239&sr=8-1
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

That bass player is a badass, too....

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I enjoyed both shows (Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts & The Who at the Roundhouse). Seeing Beck perform closeup like that was a real treat, he's awesome, but it was the base player, Tal Wilkenfeld, that really blew me away. She looks like a cute, curly-haired little 13-year old girl, but she rocked that base like an old pro and looked totally relaxed on stage. We just assumed she must be Beck's daughter or something. I found out later that she's actually older than she looks (21 according to Wikipedia), and she's already played with several big name acts. That's amazing considering how young she is, and especially because of how little time she's been playing.
    See my photos at: micknewton.smugmug.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I bet joss stone and tal and jeff sounded good .I love joss and wish she would stay away from her pop record pushing label/management.Her plus some blues based musicians backing her up in my opinion would be nice.I do like a few of her tunes.Tal, what can I say that can describe her: We have been following her a long time the boys love her
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to Palladia in case anyone wants to see what's coming up.

We've been watching it a lot lately. It's a great channel. The Fender tribute show they had on a while back was fantastic.
    See my photos at: micknewton.smugmug.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have my Tivo set up for a "season pass" to that Soundstage show so it records every concert. I have not watched the Jeff Beck episode yet, but now I know it is worth watching :-)

Tivo is definitely changing the way television is watched.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Extract here :

--Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

He is running the vintage modern amps on high dynamic range in some clips.One on top is off and most likely a backup(Ithink it is the joss stone clip.)

I hope I can get that sound or close.:

The clip above looks like some marshall on top he is running and the bottom is a v/m turned off
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm listening to that excerpt Blaze posted. That's some wonderful and masterful playing, boys!

I don't think Jeff has ever been better. He's at the top of his game!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ECdYboOVA

Can someone fix im dumb today

This is through the v/m:
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Extract here :

Oh ! That s the clip with mr. Robert Plant having a brief smile ..

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ECdYboOVA

Can someone fix im dumb today

This is through the v/m:

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brother Blaze:
    Duane Skydog Allman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Thanks Brother Blaze:
    No problem..Mud

This entire concert is a music dynamic masterclass..We should all learn how to drop intensity or level up in the right time,just like these top musicians do ..

Notice how Beck s guitar is noiseless too..

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I just found a couple more from Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's.

I'll just post one - this is killer nasty! Drips w attitude:

"Big Block"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdX6ly6ftUM

Hope you dig it!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Well deserved second all of fame nomination for Jeff..

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you noticed he walks around a lot when he plays?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you noticed, at age 64, he still looks like he did when he was 30! I sure don't!

I was thinking of guitar playing innovators from over the years:

First, a nod to all of the Mississippi Delta players and Chicago cats. W/o ppl like Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Son House, Willie Dixon (and on and on), the blues might have never happened for guitarists, or, the guitar might have never gained lead-instrument status, as it were.

In the first tier of electric guitarists, I'll name 3 who I think were the TRUE innovators: Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Each of them were pioneers who took the guitar to new heights in their own unique way.

The second tier would include EVH and Stanley Jordan.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Perhaps you disagree...?
    bigG

Guitars:

www.swartamps.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast