Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6L6 Vs. EL84

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I am trying to work out how many dimensions respect exists in---whether outmost is the same as utmost or perhaps just almost.
    I apologize, I definitely did not mean to start anything. English is not my native language and sometimes that shows regardless of my efforts. I meant "utmost", and it was not meant ironically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red
    I apologize, I definitely did not mean to start anything. English is not my native language and sometimes that shows regardless of my efforts. I meant "utmost", and it was not meant ironically.
    I was just goofing around, I knew you did not mean it ironically. :
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I was just goofing around, I knew you did not mean it ironically. :
    It's always possible that what I hear is not what other people hear, and like I've said in my edit for the post, the clean channel does have some chime, I was actually thinking about a 5F1 turned about more than halfway up, and the corresponding dirt on a typical EL84 amp. Obviously I did not express myself clearly enough.

P.S.: In my limited experience, the H&K amps sound very sterile - they're well built and everything but lack, for the lack of a better word, feeling/character. When I think of EL84's I think of Marshalls.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a definitive test:
    6L6: 6 + 6 = 12
    EL84: 8 + 4 = 12

I have thus proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that both tubes are equally swell. Carry on. You can thank me later.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Here's a definitive test:
    6L6: 6 + 6 = 12
    EL84: 8 + 4 = 12

I have thus proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that both tubes are equally swell. Carry on. You can thank me later.
    Ah but:

6L6: 6 x 6 = 36
    EL84: 8 x 4 = 32

That makes the 6L6 4 better innit.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but is it still better when you divide the first number in the tube's name to the second number in the tube name multiplied by the number of straight lines that you need to draw you zodiac sign?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12