Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
How to build your own.......cheap!!

Thread: How to build your own.......cheap!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to build your own.......cheap!!

I got a kick out of this, especially Pt.II..........hope you will also. Man, have I wasted a lot of cash buying amplifiers, I wish I'd seen this sooner! It also proves (once again) the player makes a difference, and simple circuits often sound really good.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I got a kick out of this, especially Pt.II..........hope you will also. Man, have I wasted a lot of cash buying amplifiers, I wish I'd seen this sooner! It also proves (once again) the player makes a difference, and simple circuits often sound really good.
    Thanks for posting those videos. Very cool. :

The dirty little secret is that it is not hard to build a small, good sounding amplifier. Just about anybody can do it who is sufficiently motivated.

I've been building my own for over ten years now and I have become a world-class scrounger, which is the key to finding inexpensive parts. I've built several amps that have less than $50 in parts in them. Parts have gotten more expensive in the last 5 years or so, though. I haven't found a good deal on parts in a while.

The 5F2-A tweed Princeton is my favorite circuit of all time. It is basically just a tweed Champ with a tone control. I've probably built at least a dozen variations of that circuit using various transformers and tubes. They all have sounded great.

Basically the most expensive parts of the amp are the cabinet (unless you build it yourself), the transformers, the chassis and the tubes. There isn't much else except for a few passives: resistors, caps, and other various hardware.

I have had to invest in a significant amount of tools, though: soldering station, DMM, chassis punches, metal working tools, drills, etc. but it is possible to get started on the cheap and use lots of shortcuts.

But the standard disclaimer applies: building vacuum tube (valve) amps is dangerous. There are high voltages involved and it is possible to electrocute yourself. You have to know what the dangers are and follow safety precautions. One way to get started is to build a couple of pedals.

Sorry this is so long winded, but I thought I'd share some of my observations after a decade of amp building.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, oldguy and tung!

Now how abt going from the sublime to the ridiculous? Watch this, a 1 x 12 speaker cab for $1.00...Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEvaF...e=channel_page

This New Yawk cat has tons of vids and gear. He's entertaining in a strange sorta way!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    ...One way to get started is to build a couple of pedals.
    And you can't light yourself up too badly with 9V!

I really gotta pick your brain on making myself once of those tweed Princeton clones some time, Tung! Do you have a bill of materials for that project, by any chance?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    And you can't light yourself up too badly with 9V!

I really gotta pick your brain on making myself once of those tweed Princeton clones some time, Tung! Do you have a bill of materials for that project, by any chance?
    I do have a bill of materials. I used to get lots of requests both from North America and UK/Europe, so I have one for 120v and 240v. Anybody who wants it, PM me and I'll email it to you.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool, I wouldn't have thought of that. :

I've got several of those speaker boxes, and even a Carvin speaker like the one in the video. I'll have to try that.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    Very cool, oldguy and tung!

Now how abt going from the sublime to the ridiculous? Watch this, a 1 x 12 speaker cab for $1.00...Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEvaF...e=channel_page

This New Yawk cat has tons of vids and gear. He's entertaining in a strange sorta way!