Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blues album suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

One for the ladies, and a favorite of mine (since you didn't specify "guitar based" - or did you? - anyway.... ) Etta James - Etta James Rocks the House

My journey to the blues started with SRV which led to Albert King, and BB King. A little movie called "Crossroads" held my interest for a minute or two - Karate Kid re-written as head-cuttin' bluesman, but was very dissillusioned when I found out Ralph Macchio didn't play all his own licks

Then someone gave me a great Chess Records compilation that I loved, which led to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf etc. The interesting thing about the journey is once I heard the "originals" I started to recognize their influence in other artists i.e. Clapton, Page, Billy Gibbons, more SRV, Jeff Healy and on and on it goes.

I must admit to being very fond of the Chess era artists and the "Chicago Blues" style - if you want to call it that.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

To get out of the none artists I would propose:

John Mooney "Me and the Devil" all raw acoustic performances A man and a National Steel guitar
    And
    Tab Benoit "Fever for the bayou" The best performer on the actual blues scene with a spicy turn of New Orleans and Lafayette gumbo :
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Blaze here goes.
    Buddy Guy. His recent albums and a compilitation,Bring em in. and Buddies Baddest.
    Alligatior records 25th Anniversary and 30th Anniversary CDs have a great cross section of blues artists.
    As mentioned above. Gary Moores After hours
    Beliieve it or not Robin trowers Blues cd Another Day's Blues
    Ronnie Earl:, I feel like goin on, Blues guitar virtuoso., The Color of Love
    Any of SRVs cds
    Eric clapton has a bunch of blues cds
    Albert King: He has many many great albums.
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd: Leadbetter heights
    Majic Slim:Anything Can Happen
    Jimmie Reed at Carnegie hall.
    That should give him a good start.
    My choices lean toward the Electric blues, and Chicago blues, and basically the amplified blues.
    Robben Ford as well but some of his albums are just too Jazzy. When he was with the Blue Line they were pretty good.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I think listneing to blues music is a little bit like eating cheese or drinking wine. The flavour has to grow on you so don't start with the exotics first, means don't give him Robert Johnson at first, this could kinda shock him away, because of its blunt elemantariness. Therfore, I'd go with something like Joe Bonamassa "Blues Deluxe"/Clapton/Sean Costello and something like for e.g. Albert King or Muddy Waters.

But that's only my 0.2 here.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I think listneing to blues music is a little bit like eating cheese or drinking wine. The flavour has to grow on you
    very well said
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I agree jimi's reply FTW!!!!

Check internet abbev.thread if you dont understand
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Jimi too, and would suggest an Alligator records collection (the 30th ann. disc has a great cross section of styles from western "jump" style to more traditional), and really like that SRV/Albert King collab as a suggestion. I like the jazzier side of blues and if he is new to the blues, have him check out the Mayer Trio disc "Try!" It may not be hardcore blues, but is a good intro to some tasty playing in a trio format. Bonamassa's Blues Deluxe seems much more traditional blues style if you want to go that route.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Rpbert Johnson- Recordings.

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (with Eric Clapton or Peter Green, Both are equally as good and just as important in my opinion)

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree that starting with the Late Great Robert Johnson may not be the best thing....The quality of those early 30s recordings was not very good....Robert's singing was terrible in my opinion. It is the legend that makes his music so powerful...and if you open yourself up and really listen...maybe with a pair of good quality headphones...it sounds like there are multiple guitars being played....but it was only Robert.

I picked up my longtime fascination with the Delta Blues from the previously mentioned Crossroad's movie....and never turned back.

To get the guy really hooked....I would go with anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

For a modern spin on the older Delta Blues I would check out Keb' Mo' he broke down alot of Robert Johnson's licks for a documentary....very solid.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I like the jazzier side of blues

Sun check out Ronnie Earls Healing time!!!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues

Just a note: This disc will be awesome for you I would imagine and it is one of my all time favorites, including Al Kooper on keyboards and who knows what else. Al Kooper produced Lynyrd Skynyrd in the beginning and may have brought them to the forefront of the music world. Al Kooper was the original keyboardist for Blood Sweat and Tears and is on the first album, has a red type cover I believe. A superior singer and blues keyboardist. Probably plays a Hammond B3 with Leslie rotary speakers on this.

Available at Amazon.com:

"The Life Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper". Totally an awesome suggestion by the earlier poster! I remember when it first was released.

I would also recommend anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, Albert Collins, or Buddy Guy just for beginners.

A great look at some of the greatest living bluesmen and women can be seen on Eric Claptons DVD production called; "Crossroads, Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007", recorded in Chicago. I got mine at a big CD place called FYE, used for about 27 dollars, but it is very high quality and has a whole host of great blues stars, including Steve Winwood playing, "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and about 35 - 40 high quality songs in super great video. This will probably become a classic collectable DVD.

Hope this helps.

There are a lot of different types of blues and jazz actually evolved from blues, not visa-versa; and the birth of Rock and Roll is commonly referred to as when The Blues had a baby! Ha ha. I really like to watch, listen to blues rock.

Duffy
    Last edited by Duff; May 28th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

This great list of albums got me diggin into my collection. Tab Benoit has been mentioned, and he has a great disc out w Jimmy Thackery called: Tab Benoit & Jimmy Thackery - Whiskey Store.
    On Telarc, the recording quality is superb, and Tab and Jimmy roar on guitars and vocals! Includes a cover of one of my favorite Neil Young songs: Unknown Legend - from Neil's Harvest Moon album. Tab and Jimmy do a great, heartfelt version.

I highly recommend to anyone to check this disc out!

Also, I have a Jimi Hendrix compilation disc simply called "Blues". It's a collection of Hendrix bluesier stuff and is priceless. Don't know if it's still available as it was released on MCA before the Big Hendrix Estate Fight. Find it if you can!
    Last edited by bigG; May 28th, 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: add text
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12