View Poll Results: Keep or buy?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade the Dot and expand you horizons.

7 77.78%
  • SG all the way.

2 22.22%

Thread: what guitar should I keep/buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what guitar should I keep/buy?

I have a strat and LP studio plus. the LP is my main guitar. hell, I barely play the strat. I've wanted a hollowbody so settled for a epi dot for $400. the dot needs some work and sounds nice but I really want to replace the pups (and wiring, etc).

long story short, looking at putting in $200-$250 on the dot to get it up to speed. a total investment of $600 or so.

then GC/MF goes ahead and puts SG standards on sale for $1200. they've agreed to take my epi back even though it's outside the 30 day return window and put it towards the SG. I got real excited. hell, I'm halfway there with the return!

then my drummer says "why do you want two guitars that will sound the same? Can't you get the SG sound from your LP?" now I'm doubting myself. upgrade the epi and keep the hollowbody sound or get the SG and basically have a lighter version of my LP?
    Guitars: Takamine Acoustic/Elec; Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus; Fender Hwy1 Strat; Epi Dot
    Amps: Yamaha POS; Crate Vintage Club 50
    Pedals: down to a single digi rp1000 unit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Expand the sounds. I vote Dot. Or keep the strat.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Dot + strat = about all the guitar tones you'll ever need.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Dot + strat = about all the guitar tones you'll ever need.
    That is what i did, except my Dot is called a Vik.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The SG is a tricky pony! Sure it is a great sounding guitar, plus if you bought it you would have "the original" at home, but be careful with the design. The SG design is very special and it's hard to develop a bond with that guitar. Either you are born a SG player or you leave your hands off that guitar.

The Epi dot is a superb instrument. I would invest in quality pus, such like the seymour duncan antiquities (don't buy modern sounding pus!). Maybe you go as far as also investing in a little makeover, converting the guitar, there is brilliant craftsmanship regarding lacquer work for small money.

I'd go for the DOT all the way.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

wow! glad I threw it out there for discussion. now I'm back leaning towards the dot. I got some gfs classic 59s http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59alpacl.html based on some reviews and they're waiting in the wings.

thanks guys! I'll figure something out by tomorrow.
    Guitars: Takamine Acoustic/Elec; Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus; Fender Hwy1 Strat; Epi Dot

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to chime in late but what I get from your post is that you are keeping the Strat and the LP and are not sure between a Dot and the SG.
    From a pickup standpoint all three of the Gibbies have the same pickups.
    The Dot has the Chinese version of them but test exactly the same impedence as the Studio and the SG. The GFS pickups may not be much of an upgrade.
    I would definitely keep the Strat, The Dot , and the Studio. I would however spend a little more and get a set of Burstbuckers, or Classic 57s/Classic 57 Plus for the Dot.
    If you are going to spend the money on an upgrade I would spend the little more and get the Gibson pickups, and do a pot and switch change as well.
    You will then have a Strat, a 335 Dot, and a Studio. You will pretty well have everything covered.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    You will then have a Strat, a 335 Dot, and a Studio. You will pretty well have everything covered.
    Except a tele, and a full jazz box hollowbody, and a . . . . Just kidding, I think you cover a ton of ground with those three.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

well i like hollowbody tones, and i do own a strat myself, but i would take the SG. SGs have a less bassy boom than an LP and a slightly more bassy boom than a strat. i like SG sounds, so thats what id go for, if i were you.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

just an update....

kept the dot and had a friend expertly put in the gfs pups. WHAT a difference. sounds so nice. nice clean jazzy tones (not that I play that way) and great crunch and high end.

very happy! thanks for all your input guys. you save me $800 in a SG trade-in. that dot actually sounds better than my strat does playing stratty songs. woo-hoo!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pressthe6
    just an update....

kept the dot and had a friend expertly put in the gfs pups. WHAT a difference. sounds so nice. nice clean jazzy tones (not that I play that way) and great crunch and high end.

very happy! thanks for all your input guys. you save me $800 in a SG trade-in. that dot actually sounds better than my strat does playing stratty songs. woo-hoo!
    Good decision. I am a big advocate of the Dot/335. If I had one guitar, it would be a Dot, if I had the money, it would be a 335.

As said many, many times before - My Dot is my favorite.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're glad! PAF types are definitely the way to go on 335s. FWIW I don't think the epi pickups are that bad but I'm not taking the Duncans out of my Dot to prove my point
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience