Thread: Floating Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating Bridge

I have a Godin SD, which has a humbucker on the bridge and singles in the middle and neck position. It has a vintage tremolo style bridge, but I don't use the tremelo (I don't even have the arm). Right now it has all 5 springs attached as I thought that would help it stay in tune. I've read that it can make the tone harsh to do this. What do fretters suggest? All 5 attached, remove 2 and let it float?

Post Thanks / Like

There is plenty of debate of this subject.

One idea is that the float of the bridge contributes to the characteristic sound found in Strat type guitars as you have. There is inherent resonance in the springs and the fact the bridge doesn't contact the body both make "that sound." Same can be said for guitars with the "swimming pool" routing for pickups where there is a large rectangle routed out under the pickguard. Each is a factor in the particular tonal characteristics of that guitar.

Another idea is for tuning stability put on springs and bring the bridge back to the body. String bends thereafter will not cause other strings to go out of tune.

My opinion: I have Strats set up both ways and 2 have the tremolos blocked with a piece of wood. The wood block and pulled to the body bridges have more woody resonance and they don't go out of tune. The floating bridges have that "sproing" that is inherent in a Strat's sound. I like it like that myself more than the blocked. The tuning stability is gone to some degree but I just deal with it. It also feels like the strings bend easier.

If you are going to change tuning often for slide and other reasons then pull it back or block it. Otherwise add springs according to the string gauge that you want to use and let it float. There are plenty of tips around the web for setting up the 6 screw traditional tremolo bridges to get more stability. Maybe you might like to look into some other ideas as well.

Or you could do what a lot of Fretnetters do and just buy another guitar and have one set up each way. Better guitaring through GAS.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine blocked on my Ibanez, because changing tuning is a pain, especially from any drop tuning.
    But I'm thinking of re-doing it and either put a Floyd Rose on it or just eliminate it totally, not sure yet(more decisions).

To me it's basically in the ear and usage of the user.
    And as Spud said, there's plenty of tips on the net.
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I tend to change tuning on my Radiator, which has a fixed bridge. My SD I leave in standard tuning. I like to experiment so I think that I'll let it float. As I understand it that means unhooking two of the five springs, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    What do fretters suggest? All 5 attached, remove 2 and let it float?
    tOt, I have 3 springs in both of my floating bridge guitars (both with Floyds). It really depends on your playing style... Do you bend alot when you solo? If you do, you may notice your Godin going out of tune after a long solo, with the bridge set up in a floating position. It's not a big deal, but it can be annoying tuning up more often. With my Floyds, I have the two outside springs at an angle (rather than keeping the springs parallel to each other), which gives me a touch more tension on the bridge, and it doesn't move quite as much when I do alot of bending. I've seen some players (using standard Strat type tremelos) get away with two springs, but I've never tried it.

If I ever get a Strat style guitar, I know I'll use all five springs, and keep the bridge tight to the body of the guitar. I've gotten spoiled by my TOM bridge on the ESP, and I gotta do those bends!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Kat, seeing how I'm a beginner. I don't do a lot of anything, but I love to bend & bluesey bending is what I am aiming for with the SD. I've already removed two of the springs. If I run into trouble with tuning, I'll try your diagonal trick!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've played my SD with two of the springs removed & so far I like the sound better. A little more sproing as Spudman says. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a demonstration of what the tremolo springs on a Strat actually do for the sound of the guitar. This example shows before and after damping the springs. It illustrates where Strats get that "sproingy" sound from.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jacvN8BhrgY

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, although you might lose some twanginess, often when I've seen the back of jimi hendrix's guitar its had all 5 springs in place - let's just say I wouldn't mind having his tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I added an additional spring to my original setup and this brought back the float on the trem and added some more woody tone but it still sounds good to me. As long as I have "bell" I'm good.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello tot ou tard,

Am I right that you have two issues? Tuning problem and the question if to use a floating or fixed system? Well, the fix tremolo bridge for example on a vintage strat always leads to a warmer tone. Let us take the beloved position between middle and neck PU. Sounds woodier and more hybrid with a fixed tremolo, therfore playing a floating one gives you more warmth or ket us say a more civilized tone in such a position. If you do not use the tremolo then fix it. Of course the guitar will stay better in tune then, but bear in mind, the differnces are marginal! I have both options and luckily my strats are perfectly set up, so to be honest, I have no tuning problem also if going wild with my guitars. Let your first issu be the tone - only your flavour counts. Try both options. Then get an explanation on how to set up a vintage tremolo system or bring your guitar to someone who really knows. Measure the neck, think of the "step" like system to set it up and there you go.....