Thread: really good value for money amplifiers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default really good value for money amplifiers?

things like the valve junior, the BH5H, the valve senior. etc.

can anyone tell me a good value for money amplifier, about 15-20 watts, class A or A/B. Obviously all valve.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up a used Pro Jr. Others will also recommend the Blues Jr, but I think the PJ sounds better.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

hmm looks good, blues and pro juniors...

know any bang-4-your-buck heads along the same sort of specs?
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Blackheart Handsome Devil...switchable between 7 and 15 watts Class A....one of the best sounding value amps out there. Comes in a head or combo and sounds awesome through a 212 cab.

I would look at some others as well...there isn't much of a volume difference between 15 and 30 watts really, so you can venture in to a few more options.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Blackheart Handsome Devil...switchable between 7 and 15 watts Class A....one of the best sounding value amps out there. Comes in a head or combo and sounds awesome through a 212 cab.
    +1

The Blackheart amps are made better and have better components than the Epiphone amps.

I'm really jonsing for one of those BH HD heads.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i know how damn good they are =]

hmm, its about the same price as the Epiphone valve seniors, but the handsome devil is actually released....i think i have handsome devil gas...very simelar to the little giant gas i had.

Post Thanks / Like

whats the difference between the Orange tiny terror and the handsome devil? from what ive heard from them and about them, very little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    whats the difference between the Orange tiny terror and the handsome devil? from what ive heard from them and about them, very little.
    I've only seen clips of the tiny terror, so it's hard to say but the tiny terror seems to have a bit more gain to it than the Handsome Devil.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Well orange changed the manufacture point to china from korea, I think the BH has better quality parts, If you want to mod it they are very simple to do. I personally think the BH is a better bang for the buck,

Post Thanks / Like

Mesa Boogie and Two Rock have some good for the money amphs.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Mesa Boogie and Two Rock have some good for the money amphs.
    I like Ceriatone too, if you're not nervous about ordering from Maylasia.........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

A good amp that is kind of in the middle between expensive and boutique are the Frenzel amps. You can grab certain models for under a grand and they are hand built.

But seriously, best bang for the buck amps (in my opinion) are the Blackhearts, a number of Peavey amps from the Classic Series to the Valvekings, and even the Vox AC15 is reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackheart FTW.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Blackheart FTW.
    +1 :

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently trying to nab a peavey classic 50. For the money (I'm talking used now, new they run about $850) they are incredible amps.
    It's got six strings, right? What more do you need to know?

Guitars: Breedlove passport D20, Ibanez SR400, Xaviere XV 820
    amps: Yamaha DG-60
    musical experience: drummer/ lead singer in punk outfit --> drummer/guitar/singer in psychedelic jam-band --> drums/bass/guitar/singer in folk band --> drummer/ lead vocals in experimental band http://www.myspace.com/adnascentia --> guitar/ lead vocals in indie band http://www.myspace.com/itsanoreaster