Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tortoise Shell?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tortoise Shell?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tortoise Shell?

I dunno...I'm thinking of doing this to my Strat. What do you guys think.....

Attachment 400
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 8th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it also have rosewood board? If it does then I think you should.

Post Thanks / Like

would look great...hopefully you mean just replacing the pickguard and not the "relicing" part.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium
    Does it also have rosewood board? If it does then I think you should.

Yeah its the guitar in my Avatar that I want to mod. Rosewood neck. I think tortoise shell would look good with the rosewood neck too.

I've been leaving the MIM out of it's case (which now became the case for my Muddy Waters Tele.) I'm hoping that the Strat will get banged up and scuffed here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do it. Here's my '98 Hamer Slammer. It used to have a pearloid 'guard, I put in the tortoishell and it looks perfect now.

BTW, the "relicing" on this thing is 100% real...It has led a hard life and a couple of falls...And it does have a pretty thin finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    I'd do it. Here's my '98 Hamer Slammer. It used to have a pearloid 'guard, I put in the tortoishell and it looks perfect now.

BTW, the "relicing" on this thing is 100% real...It has led a hard life and a couple of falls...And it does have a pretty thin finish.

I was going to comment on your guitar earlier, glad you posted that pic here cause I think that guitar looks wicked. I'm kinda tired of seeing a white pickguard so for lunch today I'm hoping to find a tortoise shell pg at one of the shops here in town.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments, Tone!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments, Tone!

You bet. Vince Gill can be seen playing a black Strat with the tortoise shell pickguard on the Crossroads DVD and with black EMG pickups in there it looks wayyy killer. Black pup covers on yours would be even more wicked!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    You bet. Vince Gill can be seen playing a black Strat with the tortoise shell pickguard on the Crossroads DVD and with black EMG pickups in there it looks wayyy killer. Black pup covers on yours would be even more wicked!
    I have a set of black pup covers around...Hmmm... I should check into that on the next string change.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to the TS, Tone! That's a classic look with the 'burst finish, rosewood board and white pup covers. With that thick poly coating that Fender puts on Strats nowadays, will it naturally relic on it's own?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Yes to the TS, Tone! That's a classic look with the 'burst finish, rosewood board and white pup covers. With that thick poly coating that Fender puts on Strats nowadays, will it naturally relic on it's own?
    Poly doesn't relic, unless you hit it hard against something, and then it pops and cracks in big chunks. It does yellow somewhat with age and exposure to the environment.

My Hamer seems to have a pretty thin poly coat, 'cos it's even sinking into the wood. Look at this:

But it doesn't do the "fade"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I picked up a tort guard for lunch. It's sweet too. It's swirly...different than the speckled tort. I can't wait to put it on tonight. I'll post pics tomorrow.

The finish won't come off no but the dents and scuffs will show through. It's got a few dents here and there. I should put the body outside for a few years or something and see what happens. heh

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, bro. I'm eager to see the pics! We should start a Tortoishell Club here.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, bro. I'm eager to see the pics! We should start a Tortoishell Club here.
    Great idea I'm in!!!

Post Thanks / Like

tone, you are not going to do the burning strat trick as well?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

i wonder how close my peavey fat strat knockoff pickguard is to a true strat pickguard. I would love to replace the white one on my black gutar with Tortoishell.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Warren, they usually fit, the screwholes might not align perfectly, though....I just drilled new holes on mine where they didn't match!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    tone, you are not going to do the burning strat trick as well?
    LMAO...I just might! Pictures are forthcoming....let me just answer this post and I'll do some Photoshopping here in a minute...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the new tortoise shell pickguard on my Strat.

Attachment 403

I got this one for the swirl it had. It looks like a totally different guitar and I'm pleased with the results. The camera flash makes them look white but the cream pickup covers and knobs and switch really stand out against the color.

Attachment 404

I'd been thinking of doing this for awhile but never got around to it so when I saw Warren's oldschool guitar pic and Kerc's guitar I got inspired again for some retro.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 8th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast