Thread: A funny thing happened to me today at GC

Post Thanks / Like

Default A funny thing happened to me today at GC

I went to the Memorial Day sale. Not much there I was interested in, or could afford. So I did my usual thing: pick up a Squier and noodle through various Fender amps. I like noodling, since I live in an apartment and rarely get the chance for uninterrupted louder volume noodling. I also choose Squiers because I figure if it sounds good through the amp, then it's a good amp. Not that Squiers aren't good! It's just that they're $700 cheaper than the Standard US strats.

So there I was noodling and this guy came up and complimented my playing and said it sounded like a $2000 guitar from across the store. Nice compliment.

He was looking at Telecasters and asked me if I would play a couple of Teles for him to help him decide. First a BSB Affinity Tele, which is the one guitar I don't have that I want to get someday. Then a $950 thinline Fender Tele. I swapped them out a couple of times. They both sounded great, and I pointed out that it was apples and oranges, since the thinline uses HB's. In either case, I thought the Affinity sounded very good, and the thinline did not sound 6 times better. He bought the Squier and we exchanged phone #'s to get together and jam sometime.

How about that?
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Birv! Nothing wrong with playin' a little guit and meeting a new jam buddy on your day off.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

That's great he used you to be objective about his purchase and made friends along the way. Cool. I just hope he isn't a stalker.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my

Post Thanks / Like

See GC is in fact evil! J/K. Sounds like a cool day.
    RIG 1:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony G-400 SG "Fast Eddie"
    Amplifier: Peavey Vypyr 15
    Effects: I think the amplifier has a bunch built in....

RIG 2:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony Dreadnought "Cinder"
    Amplifier: Big Hole in Center of Guitar
    Effects: Various Picks & Gnarled Fingers

:

Post Thanks / Like

That's something nice that happened to you. People in music stores are always too shy. I say, never walk alone into a store, take a friend with you or ask some guy in the store who also maybe plays better than you to play the guitar/guitars you would like to buy. We can all only make ourselves a subjective opinion on a certain guitar. Seeing someone else playing it, shows you the real character of the instrument.

I think it is pretty cool that you played the guitars for that guy! Thumbs up!

:
    J75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That's great he used you to be objective about his purchase and made friends along the way. Cool. I just hope he isn't a stalker.

or a shiner.....
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    or a shiner.....
    a what??
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    a what??
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kazz
    or a shiner.....

It's a term that refers to a hedonistic bohemian that preys upon young women.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kazz
    or a shiner.....

It's a term that refers to a hedonistic bohemian that preys upon young women.

Yeppers that is what I was going for....
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |