Thread: Washburn Hb-32 Review

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washburn Hb-32 Review

I bought my first electric a while ago and just now have gotten around to testing it out. The Washburn HB-32 semi-hollowbody (335 clone)

http://www.washburn.com/electrics/hollow-bodies/

Made out of mahogany in a "distressed" (read: relic) appearance. It differs from the HB-30 and HB-35 in that those are maple tops. Decent looking and nice feeling guitar. The binding is good and the frets are well done with no sharp edges to be found anywhere. Tuners seem to do the job and it tunes up promptly with a tuner. Good intonation. String spacing is a bit narrower than I am used to but not really a problem.

Two open humbucker pups. Volume and tone controls for each pup. Toggle switch to change between pups. My peeve here is that being a NOOB to the darkside, it isn't clear when I use the toggle (the LP toggle), which pup I am engaging. No instruction sheet, no nothing. When the toggle is pointing down, which pup is engaged? It's not like on a Strat or a Tele where the pup selector is in parallel line to the pups. Likewise, I didn't know which volume went to which pup. Frustrating at the time. Decent action for fretting.

I ran it through my brand-new Behringer GM110 V-Tone amp (the amp will be a separate review).

I was able to get some real nice blues lead and chord sounds out of the guitar. Though I feel that the tone is more a result of the kick-*** amp than the guitar. This isn't a knock of the git, more a praise of the amp.

I didn't do much monkeying around with the controls on the git as I didn't know what was what and I was getting annoyed. Familiarity will no doubt make me happier. ahah

I got this as a blues/slide guitar and I am very pleased with it. Good action, nice smooth neck/fingerboard and it feels nice and balanced on my left leg (I play right handed).

It's a good 335 clone and a good git for blues/jazz/classic rock applications. Comes with a well-padded gig bag and 8 ft cord.
    Last edited by piebaldpython; May 27th, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add