Thread: Recommend some speakers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommend some speakers?

I'm considering getting an Avatar or Mojo cabinet for my Bandmaster head and I'm looking for a speaker that will mellow off the highs, give me warmer, lower mids, and a nice bass response. Something that won't sound to spikey with my strats on the bridge pickup.

I'm considering the Celestion G12H30 (that Hendrix tone) or something by Eminence (Swamp Thang maybe?) Avatar recommends maybe using a Vintage 30 with a G12H30 mixed.

I want a warm sounding speaker but not one that is too bassy.

Any input is appreciated. I'd like to stick with Eminence or Celestion, but if you have any other suggestions, that would be great. I've seen some posts here about Warehouse speakers too, but I'd like to order the cab pre-loaded already.

I'm having my basement refinished so as not to disturb the Mrs. or the neighbors (I live in a townhouse) so volume won't be as much of an issue. The tone tubby ceramics I have are nice, but not as warm as I'd like.

I've had little experience with different speakers...I usually just kept the stock ones in my combos, etc.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend a Greenback/G12H30 combination - the greenback has a nice vintagy bass and round mids - but sounds a bit dark. Combined with the G12H you get all the nice sparkle without beeing too picky and annoying like the V30 (had this one before).

If you can run a 55W cab - For fender clean and overdriven the G12/Greenback is perfect - even better with a semi open back.

I'm using the G12H30 anniversary, not the much more expensive heritage version.

Uli

Post Thanks / Like

The g-12 h has a bigger magnet than a regular greenback g-12m it should have enhanced bass which it does and a nice crisp high buy not spikey.mids are minimal.My fender hrd came with a vin 30 and I run a small ext cab somtimes with a g-12h but vintage and they go good together. The G12-65 is a great speaker also combined with a g-12 h or just 2 of the 65's sound great!! mojo cabs is running specials for celestion preloaded ones
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations.

After speaking to Dave at Avatar speakers, I ordered the traditional cab (G212H I believe) in black with silver grill cloth.

I went with two G12H30's in the cab. Great for blues and classic rock styles.
    I wanted to go with a darker speaker as the Bandmaster VM is a pretty bright amp in my opinion. I'll report on the speakers once I get the cab sometime next week,
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember brother the sound will change and dial in after using them awhile,I think you will like the speakers
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

G12H30 is an excellent speaker. My favourite though is the Greenback 20, nice and mellow. I'd suggest you stay away from V30s. Very modern sounding, I wonder how they came up with the idea of naming that thing "vintage".
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

The V30 is modern sounding. I opted for a V30 when I bought an extension cab for my Soldano earlier this year. It really opened up the sound when paired with the Eminence Legend in the Soldano. I don't know if I'd use it on it's own.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

The V30 is something completely different in an open back cab. And they are really good to cut through the band - alone, thiey can be annoying as hell.
    I mixed my G12H30 with a greenback and tried the mix with a V30.
    First one sounds way bluesier and is great for warm cleans. The g12H/V30-Mix is more usefull for modern tones. Both are good working combinations.
    HERE are some good samples of speakermixes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    The V30 is modern sounding. I opted for a V30 when I bought an extension cab for my Soldano earlier this year. It really opened up the sound when paired with the Eminence Legend in the Soldano. I don't know if I'd use it on it's own.
    I think the V30 works in combination. You are right. But in my set up it would never be the sole speaker.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I think the V30 works in combination. You are right. But in my set up it would never be the sole speaker.
    I've played the Spider Valve before and heard a number of clips of the Bogner Alchemist. Both amps use V30's and surprisingly, both are very dark sounding amps with alot of bass and deep mids. I guess too it depends on the amp you are using. The Alchemist 212 though may combine the V30 with a G12H30 or Greenback come to think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I'm considering getting an Avatar or Mojo cabinet for my Bandmaster head and I'm looking for a speaker that will mellow off the highs, give me warmer, lower mids, and a nice bass response. Something that won't sound to spikey with my strats on the bridge pickup.

I'm considering the Celestion G12H30 (that Hendrix tone) or something by Eminence (Swamp Thang maybe?) Avatar recommends maybe using a Vintage 30 with a G12H30 mixed.

I want a warm sounding speaker but not one that is too bassy.

Any input is appreciated. I'd like to stick with Eminence or Celestion, but if you have any other suggestions, that would be great. I've seen some posts here about Warehouse speakers too, but I'd like to order the cab pre-loaded already.

I'm having my basement refinished so as not to disturb the Mrs. or the neighbors (I live in a townhouse) so volume won't be as much of an issue. The tone tubby ceramics I have are nice, but not as warm as I'd like.

I've had little experience with different speakers...I usually just kept the stock ones in my combos, etc.

I have had great luck w/ a v-30 and blue in combination. Might be something else to consider.

=-) PJ

Post Thanks / Like

I wound up going with a pair of G12H30's and they are JUST starting to break in....they are really starting to sound MUCH warmer.