Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
GFS guitar kits - interesting and cheap

Thread: GFS guitar kits - interesting and cheap

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb GFS guitar kits - interesting and cheap

A link for the do-it-yourselfer.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gukibuityo.html
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Kewl!!!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

That Tele kit for $89.95 is very tempting.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    That Tele kit for $89.95 is very tempting.

Hmm... old thread.

Anybody ever worked with these kits?
    The intro blurb mentions hand-fitting the neck on body. Not so simple if the parts are rough?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I think I going to try to work on the violin kit first...!

Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

The Tele and Strat kits don't interest me much since you can get a fully-assembled, ready-to-play SX guitar for $109...The Explorer, though, is pretty mind-damaging.

I could envision doing something like this:

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it might be fun, but economically they're really no bargain. For example, when I considered what a used Strat might cost versus the cost of one of these kits, the cost of paint, etc., plus the labor, it didn't make sense to me. I ended up getting a used Squier Affinity for less money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think people build guitar kits to save money. They build guitar kits to learn how to build guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I bought a SAGA kit to build with my daughter,what a pile of junk.Nothing fits good at all.I have built guitars before and if you want a nice one you will pay for it.Warmoth,Allparts ECT. don't settle for crap!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think people build guitar kits to save money. They build guitar kits to learn how to build guitars.
    Bingo.

Same with amps. With all the great, inexpensive amps coming out of China these days, it is much more expensive to source all the components and build an amp than it is to just buy one.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're saying, but one of those kits doesn't really constitute building a guitar, just assembling one. Putting a finish on it is the real challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    I understand what you're saying, but one of those kits doesn't really constitute building a guitar, just assembling one. Putting a finish on it is the real challenge.
    Last time I looked, those guitar kits were unfinished...

Post Thanks / Like

The Bolt kit from Carvin is well worth it.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.....I am doing an actual build....well body up that is....I am NOT building the neck....I bought a neck and will be making about 4 different bodies. I have 2 planks of spalted maple and one plank of Cherry.....the spalt and cherry will be glued together and then I will route bodies from that. For my practice I also bought an Alder billet blank and will make a very nice one piece body to check my templates and to have the first effort out of the way before I get to the spalted maple/cherry stash.

I am doing it because it sounds like fun and a good way to keep my hands busy this summer and be outside in the world. If you buy the parts a little at a time it is not that bad.....it is when you start adding up the receipts that you realize you could have bought a nice MIM tele for what it will cost to build your own.....but there is no satisfaction there.....and I doubt there would be any satisfaction at least for me in a $100 SX....sure it might play good....but it is not a hand built guitar...that I built myself.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

And I would also add: for the enjoyment of the build process and the satisfaction of playing a guitar you built yourself.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    The Bolt kit from Carvin is well worth it.
    Quality Kit! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us who have a plethora of old guitar parts laying around, a kit wouldn't be such a bad idea. More fun than selling the parts on CL, anyway.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

There were several threads over at mylespaul.com about these kits. At least several of the kits mentioned there came with sloppy neck pockets that required a lot of shimming to attach the neck. There were other problems noted as well including mismatched woods in the body. Not all had problems though, which makes buying one a crap shoot.

The hardware and electronics are pretty low end as well, so you'll end up replacing a lot, if not all, of that. Considereing the low cost of the kit, that wouldn't be so bad.

There's another company out there that offers LP bodies and necks for kit building. They have a much better reputation for woods and the quality of the fit. But, as you've probably already guessed, they're more expensive. $485.00 for a flamed maple top, mahogany body LP with a one piece mahogany neck. No other hardware included, just the body and neck.
    http://www.bulldogbodies.com
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.