Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sounding amp you ever played?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best sounding amp you ever played?

What is the best sounding amp you ever played in your life?

Me, I am not sure. I guess it would be the Vox AC30 Collector's Edition. Man, that was some oomph in that aamph!

Edit: I forgot to mention the Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr I played in Portland, OR. It was stunning. Fantastic clean tone, and it was also possible to get soaring overdrive tones at low volume.
    Last edited by Robert; August 9th, 2006 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Forgot an amp
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too biased to answer this question cause it will always be the same answer. Good post though.

Post Thanks / Like

The best I heard was the DR.Z amp (all the models sounded nice) but I haven't really played many expensive amps, I like the expensive Marshall amps , by the way Robert I sent you a private messege please check it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cranium - I just listened to the Carmen Ghia amp from a link off their website. Simple amp with volume and "tone" knob but the tone knob functions as a full range dial in and not like a standard tone knob. I think Robert should post that link and I think he should get one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had $1000's to spend on an amp I would probably get a DR.Z, the mini z 5 watt amp with only 1 volume knob reminds of old "south rock" sound, whatever that means...

Post Thanks / Like

Fargen MiniPlex... all I can say is that amp is a work of art. And does some amazing marshall plexi sounds, but is much cleaner (at 8-12 watts it should be) than a plexi.
    Guitars - Highway 1 Strat, 2000 Tacoma DF-21

Effects - Maestro Phase Shifter, Fulltone '69 Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss CS-3, Mooger Fooger Ring Mod

Amps - Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues

Post Thanks / Like

A good little amp that produces some awesome tones with a strat is the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20. I got one around the same time as my Valvetronix. The Valvetronix believe it or not, can almost mimic the H & K....probably if I A/B'd them it would be hard to tell the difference. The H & K though is more dynamic than the Vox, but the Vox comes pretty close to emulating a good tube tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I'm too biased to answer this question cause it will always be the same answer
    Umm . . . OK. And just so you know, I'm too curious to ask what it is.

As for the best sounding amp I've ever played - 2005 Marshall 1974X combo. I demo'ed an Epi P-90 Goldtop through one a few months ago, and I gotta' say that it was all there - as in the total package. Clean. Dirty. You name it - it all sounded fabulous. Big, thick, fat, juicy tube tone that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand straight on end. It was so good, you cold almost smell the tone from that amp. Whoa!

Post Thanks / Like

Fender Vintage 59 reissue amp. It just had that touch. What ever you did came out sounding like it was magic.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Spudman, are you talking about a '59 Bassman Reissue?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender Blues Jr.. amazing sound!
    I have played on a bluesbreaker combo once and let me tell you that it was #€%&//"/#&%€"! insanely great

Tone, we all know its that jubilee thing of yours
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Fender Blues Jr.. amazing sound!
    I have played on a bluesbreaker combo once and let me tell you that it was #€%&//"/#&%€"! insanely great

Tone, we all know its that jubilee thing of yours
    SS -

Nel - http://youtube.com/watch?v=qvr-MEnARsE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Spudman, are you talking about a '59 Bassman Reissue?
    Yessiree. I sure am.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! sounds alright, doesnt it?
    So Toneman are you on a new marshall shopping quest?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! sounds alright, doesnt it?
    So Toneman are you on a new marshall shopping quest?
    I got all the Marshall I'll ever need my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Thanks for the cool clip links, Tone. Unfortunately, the audio fidelity leaves a lot to be desired as far as to how this amp actually sounds. I think the guy even mentions that he's using a PRS (22-?) guitar, which I think might disguise some of the more agressive OD timbres that are this amp's calling card. Must be those dreamy dove inlays . . . Anyways, the 1974X lined-up through a decent Les Paul is about as close to my personal "grail tone" as it gets.

Sadly, at $2,300 bones - it's waaaaaayyyy out of my league. Thankfully, my PODxt has a nice 18W Marshall sim - sounds good, too.
    Last edited by Nelskie; August 9th, 2006 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Thankfully, my PODxt has a nice 18W Marshall sim - sounds good, too.
    Thats why amp sims are so great, you can get really close to those sought after amps... without selling all guitars in the 1959 wing of your house.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why amp sims are so great, you can get really close to those sought after amps... without selling all guitars in the 1959 wing of your house.
    No doubt SS - what would life be w/o amp modeling? Pretty durn dull, if you ask me!

Post Thanks / Like

For me it would be my Univalve, the most "musical" amp I've ever played...

I also played on a Divided by 13 last week and it absolutely blew me away... astonishing sound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast