Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jazzmaster Bridge Issue?

Thread: Jazzmaster Bridge Issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jazzmaster Bridge Issue?

How real is the Jazzmaster bridge issue? I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't want to have to replace the bridge or put in a buzzstop, Do heavy strings (like they used back in the day) help at all?

Thanks
    Charlie
    Guitars - Highway 1 Strat, 2000 Tacoma DF-21

Effects - Maestro Phase Shifter, Fulltone '69 Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss CS-3, Mooger Fooger Ring Mod

Amps - Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues

Post Thanks / Like

I have never played a jazzmaster, but a friend went and played one to see if there was an issue, and there was unfortunately. However, I believe it is possible to either get the saddles filed by the guitar shop, or substitute mustang saddles which do not have the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I've own a CIJ and now a '62 AV Reissue. The bridge is fine - the issue is soem people experience saddles coming loose since there isn't much tension on them due to the design. (The Squier '51 suffers the same problem).

Easy solutions include:

1. Install a buzz stop
    2. Use Loc-Tite on the saddle screws
    3. Install a Mustang bridge

I chose to opt with option #1 for both my Jazzmasters. They cost $39.95, require no modification to the guitar, and install in minutes. I included a pic of my old CIJ Jazzmaster with a buzz stop installed. Look under the bridge and you'll see the buzz stop. It just forces the strings to put a lot of tension on the saddles which in turn will not come loose from playing any longer.

Don't hesitate to get a Jazzmaster... they are a beautiful instrument and have a sound and feel all their own! You won't regret it!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you purchase a buzzstop?
    Last edited by el_goodo_maximo; August 10th, 2006 at 03:30 PM.
    Guitars - Highway 1 Strat, 2000 Tacoma DF-21

Effects - Maestro Phase Shifter, Fulltone '69 Fuzz, Fulltone OCD, Boss CS-3, Mooger Fooger Ring Mod

Amps - Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el_goodo_maximo
    Where can you purchase a buzzstop?
    The buzz stop can be found for sale on many places on the internet.

Here's a page dedicated to the complete issue at hand and how the buzz stop solves all problems related to the bridge: Whizzo Buzz Stop

I found it for sale at All Parts for $45.00. Use the keyword "buzz" in the search bar. Or do a search on eBay... there is one on eBay for $13.00 right now.

Warmoth Direct both the standard fixed and a modified Mustang bridge so that you can adjust the height on the saddles excluding the middle two. You could do that also. I like the added sustain from the buzz stop, so I'll keep it where it is for now.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far is it meant to bend anyway?

I have a JM66-88 that I have just purchased from Ishibashi and I think I am going explode from excitement before it arrives. I played a heap of telecasters and strats in my local Australian music store and picked up the Jazzmaster because it looked so unique and instantly knew that this was the way I was going to go. It suited my playing style, and the tone is versatile enough to cover what I want. (I will upgrade the pickups after a bit more research to get the warmer tone). I will also either use the loc-tite blue or beeswax on the saddle screws for the inevitable buzz that will occur after it is played for a while.
    My question is that after looking at some of the YouTube clips and listening to the Jazzmaster/Mustang music, I wonder if the strings are slipping more because of people doing deeper bends than these tremelo rigs are set up to do. It is almost like they are more of a a vibrato unit if you take my meaning. How far are people having to dive before the strings slip from the saddle? If I am using .11 gauge strings and not diving like Satriani or Vai, am I likely to have the problem of a slipping string without a Buzz Stop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by havenfun0001
    I have a JM66-88 that I have just purchased from Ishibashi and I think I am going explode from excitement before it arrives. I played a heap of telecasters and strats in my local Australian music store and picked up the Jazzmaster because it looked so unique and instantly knew that this was the way I was going to go. It suited my playing style, and the tone is versatile enough to cover what I want. (I will upgrade the pickups after a bit more research to get the warmer tone). I will also either use the loc-tite blue or beeswax on the saddle screws for the inevitable buzz that will occur after it is played for a while.
    My question is that after looking at some of the YouTube clips and listening to the Jazzmaster/Mustang music, I wonder if the strings are slipping more because of people doing deeper bends than these tremelo rigs are set up to do. It is almost like they are more of a a vibrato unit if you take my meaning. How far are people having to dive before the strings slip from the saddle? If I am using .11 gauge strings and not diving like Satriani or Vai, am I likely to have the problem of a slipping string without a Buzz Stop?
    It's hard to say... it all depends what type of playing you do. The slipping strings is a design flaw but the buzz stop I installed on mine fixed the problem. The buzz stop increased sustain and gave the guitar a better overall tone. Best part it its completely reversible and no drilling/modification is required to install one.

I'm currently using .013 flatwounds and love 'em! It feels like playing a telephone pole sometimes but it's got such a bright and punchy sound. I'm not doing monster bends with these cables.

Here's my '62 American Re-Issue with the buzz stop:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by havenfun0001
    I recently bought a 1991 CIJ Jazzmaster. I love the way it plays, but the low E does routinely come off the bridge. It may be that I play a half step down.

It doesn't come off because of bends. It comes off when I play harder strummed E chords... odd.

I have a mustang bridge, but it still comes off.

I also own a Fender Mustang, and I don't have any problems with guitar strings slipping.

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought a Jazzmaster the other day, I love the tone and the way it plays. I dont exactly play Jazz.. www.myspace.com/themerrygorounds thats what I play.

Anyway, so we played our first gig the other day, and stupidly I decided to play the guitar I had only owned for two nights. The entire gig I was battling the E string falling off the bridge. It was a pain, but we survived and actually got an encore.

So today I went to the store where I bought it and managed to pick up a buzz stop. I put it on my guitar and then my top E string broke.. After restringing the guitar I started playing and the whole feel of the Jazzmaster has gone.. There is so much tension on the strings!

I play quite fast, and quite heavy but I also love the way this guitar feels. Ive heard the Mustang bridge can cure it slightly, but still not to the extent of stopping it completely.

Have i made a mistake in buying the Jazzmaster? I really want to learn how to utilize this instrument because she is beautiful, and sounds like an angel passing wind.

Any ideas?

Heres some pictures of her, I call her 'White Unicorn'

And with the buzz stop:

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you who have installed the buzz stops noticed any difference in tone?
    ... it is always about the music ...

Post Thanks / Like

Why no Buzz Stop? It costs $31, you screw it on, and it solves the problem of strings coming out of the bridge pieces. Simple. I have one and it's great. No more issues. I noticed very little change in the tone.

Post Thanks / Like

TwangGrunty: Nice axe! What gauge strings are you using? The buzz stop cured my issues and I didn't really notice much difference in tension on the strings. Of course, I';m using .013s so these things are pretty thick.

EnglishJW: I definitely notice better sustain with the buzz stop in place. It didn't affect the tone one bit, just added some nice sustain.

DrumBob: I'm with you! The buzz stop is the way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got mustang saddles on mine plus a buzz stop... din't think the buzz stop made such a big difference sound/feel wise... but the mustang/buzzstop combo has completely cured the issue...

in action here doing yngwie style delay technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAK9...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.masterybridge.com/bridge.html

I've been told by Jazzmaster players that this is the answer.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el_goodo_maximo View Post
    How real is the Jazzmaster bridge issue? I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't want to have to replace the bridge or put in a buzzstop, Do heavy strings (like they used back in the day) help at all?

Thanks
    Charlie
    It's pretty real that issue... I solved it with a Mustang bridge (and buzzstop too, although not 100% necessary) ... I LOVE it now

Check out how versatile an instrument the jazz master is