Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 112
Page 112 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 2,110 to 2,128 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re-discovered this last night, been looping it all day at work...

Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Patty Griffin - American Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    If the music is as brilliant as the album cover...

Off to iTunes -- thanks for the tip!
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

A neighbor thinks he's being cute leaving his car stereo on and blaring crappy dance music while the car sits in his driveway and he does something inside. He's about to learn I have a much louder stereo (with at least one speaker right near a now open window) and an affinity for extremely loud punk jazz bands.

NP:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    If the music is as brilliant as the album cover...

Off to iTunes -- thanks for the tip!
    I had a chance to spend some more time with it in the car today and listening to it again now. Though I'm not the least bit surprised to be completely in love with a Ribot album, this one is really exactly what I was looking for from this particular project.

The first Ceramic Dog album (Party Intellectuals) was very enjoyable and I still listen to it pretty regularly, but when in the mood for that band I've tended to gravitate towards the live recordings I have.

Your Turn is far more representative of what Ceramic Dog sounds like live.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Mother's Day

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my favorite Miles records.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Now Playing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    You know I think I have not heard that one. I listened a lot to miles when I started playin jazz.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a killer. This box set has some really amazing jams. This was one bad mother of a funk-rock outfit. Perhaps not quite as funky as the mid 70s band with Pete Cosey & Reggie Lucas on guitar but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    You know I think I have not heard that one. I listened a lot to miles when I started playin jazz.
    It's as straight-ahead rock as Miles got in his electric period.

A lot of jazz critics at the time bemoaned Bitches Brew as a "sellout" commercial album because he used rock backing musicians and instruments, but much as I love that album, there's nothing commercial about it. It's rewarding but challenging listening.

A Tribute to Jack Johnson on the other hand is flat out rock.

Maybe it's not made for radio with it's two tracks clocking in at over 20 minutes apiece but if classic rock radio fans were willing to endure 10 minutes of "I'm Your Captain" then I doubt 20 minutes of John McLaughlin or Sonny Sharrock playing ridiculously cool guitar at them was going to hurt anyone.

All I know is that I've played it for many a friend that loves rock but didn't really love jazz and they love it.

"This isn't jazz," they always say.

Then I wonder when I ever told them it was.

PS. No offense but once again I'm reminded how ridiculous the built-in editor for this forum can be. It's the name of one of Miles' most famous albums, not to mention having definitions that are not "naughty." I think it's preposterous that it has to be asterisked. I know this is not Robert's fault. I just felt I had to say it because seeing the name of one of the most famous albums of all time edited like that makes me want to just delete the post but there aren't many places I can go for conversation about electric Miles.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I fixed it. Bitches Brew is a great album - I won't bitch about that no more!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Still some of my favorite work Ribot did with Elvis on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Definitely a killer. This box set has some really amazing jams. This was one bad mother of a funk-rock outfit. Perhaps not quite as funky as the mid 70s band with Pete Cosey & Reggie Lucas on guitar but still.

It's as straight-ahead rock as Miles got in his electric period.

A Tribute to Jack Johnson on the other hand is flat out rock.

Maybe it's not made for radio with it's two tracks clocking in at over 20 minutes apiece but if classic rock radio fans were willing to endure 10 minutes of "I'm Your Captain" then I doubt 20 minutes of John McLaughlin or Sonny Sharrock playing ridiculously cool guitar at them was going to hurt anyone.

All I know is that I've played it for many a friend that loves rock but didn't really love jazz and they love it.

"This isn't jazz," they always say.

Then I wonder when I ever told them it was.
    I had the original release so I decided to add the box set. I'm listening to one disc at a time, several times over to get a good soaking. I'm still on disc 1.

Edit: Make that disc 2. There's a musical space going on that I can't yet describe...

Post Thanks / Like

Edit: Make that disc 2. There's a musical space going on that I can't yet describe...
    Wait until you get to "Ali (Take 4)"
    Easily among the funkiest things ever but there's more to it than that. The only words to aptly describe it are "electric Miles."

It's like the "wild mercurial sound" Dylan was always chasing. He couldn't describe it in words but he knew exactly what it sounded like.

There's something to the best of Miles' electric music that's like that. I have no words for it, but it's something beyond style or even the musicians involved (since the cast rotated so often).

Post Thanks / Like

Zorn's Electric Masada is one of the only other bands for me that successfully captures whatever it is that makes Miles' electric music sound the way it does.