Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 27
Page 27 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

They have a new one out, which I am hoping I enjoy as much as I still like this one from a few years back.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Joe Strummer and Mescaleros

Both have some great Strummer/Clash-like songs. How did I miss these before?

Global a Go-Go

Streetcore
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Better late than never Tig.

I was a little young to get to see The Clash, but I did see Strummer with the Mescaleros and that was awesome. I also saw Mick Jones with Big Audio Dynamite, so if only Simonon would play with someone more interesting than The Good, The Bad & The Queen, I could round out my checklist of former Clash members.

NP:

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Frisell
    Live 10.29.05 @ Paris, France

Bill Frisell - guitar
    Jenny Scheinman - violin
    Greg Leisz - steel & slide guitar

All songs from this performance are John Lennon songs, mostly from the Beatles' era but a few from his post-Beatles years. Though Frisell is phenomenal composer on his own, he is also one of my favorite interpreters of other people's songs. Like Monk or Miles or Bird, I continue to learn more and more about phrasing every single time I listen to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a winner. It is hard to find, however.

I can't connect to all of Bill Frisell's work, but that might be more the fault of the listener! I really like his work with Elvis Costello (Deep Dead Blue is haunting yet beautiful; The Sweetest Punch has a good smooth jazz feel), and I just started listening to Disfarmer.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Los Lobos - Kiko
    Some of their best music ever.

Unrelated song, but the tones from the Tele rip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Sounds like a winner. It is hard to find, however.

I can't connect to all of Bill Frisell's work, but that might be more the fault of the listener! I really like his work with Elvis Costello (Deep Dead Blue is haunting yet beautiful; The Sweetest Punch has a good smooth jazz feel), and I just started listening to Disfarmer.
    Frisell's work is so diverse that it's not surprising to not be able to connect with all of it.

Last night while I was running I was listening to his appearance on NPR's "Piano Jazz" with Marian McPartland. At one point prior to playing a duet, Marian joked she was afraid to stomp all over Bill's playing because it's always so delicate. All I could think was "oh yeah, listen to some of what he played for Zorn on the Naked City albums!"

I agree completely about the stuff with Elvis. Their take on Monk's "Weird Nightmare" is just fantastic. Disfarmer is an amazing album and really accentuates that Americana sound that is so much a part of Frisell's approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains

Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains - Red Hot & Live
    OK, if you've ever liked anything from Stray Cats or Brian Setzer, this is a no brainer. He teams up with Slim Jim Phantom in Japan to put on one smokin' hot concert, full of their past and present rockabilly masterpieces. Brian's guitar playing is the best I've ever heard from him.

Warning: This album will make you want to rush out and buy a Gretsch hollow body.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - Real Live!

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - Real Live!

I cut my rock and roll teeth on the '77 FM&MR Live album, but somehow lost track of him in the following decades.

This 2004 live album is a double disc that if full of very fine licks and improvisations. Frank manages to weave blues, jazz, & middle eastern styles into his solos with masterful phrasing.

The jams are long, yet never feel too long. The live recording and production is super clean. This is one of those under the radar essential albums for any fan of incredible guitar playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Third album and this one might be the best yet and I thought the previous two and the EP were all fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Jeff Beck

Add these to my collection of better late than never. I can't believe I missed owning and listening to these two classic Jeff Beck albums. Rod Stewart is actually listenable here!
    I got my start on Blow By Blow and missed the earlier bluesy stuff.

Truth

and Beck-Ola
    Last edited by Tig; August 15th, 2010 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for some Folk-Metal:

http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

A punk classic...

Post Thanks / Like

Animals as Leaders

Tosin Abasi is a monster guitar player. His playing is a combination of Fripp/Belew era King Crimson and a more focused/less weirdo Buckethead.

Check out his 8-string guitar playing:

Post Thanks / Like

Free preview of a track from the newest from Marc Ribot (album out Sep. 28) available on his MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/marcribotmusic

It's the first track, called "Radio."

Several of the 110 listens so far are mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 27 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast