Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 56
Page 56 of 120 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,046 to 1,064 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    That was my first Miles Davis album. It always rings true. A timeless classic.

Just listened to Steve Earle's latest, and liked it right away. I welcomed the Irish folk styled songs, too. After listening to his early songs and now this, I see he has somehow managed to get even better at song writing.

I started listening to Earle's new album this morning in the car. I like what I've heard so far. This album seems a lot less angry than some of his previous efforts. Maybe he's finally found peace living in NYC with his beautiful singer/songwriter wife. That, and he is very lucky not to have died in some alley from a drug overdose.

From interviews, it seems as though he never really fit into the modern Nashville country music scene. His songwriting is more introspective and thoughtful than most of the crap that passes for country music coming out of Nashville these days.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    From interviews, it seems as though he never really fit into the modern Nashville country music scene. His songwriting is more introspective and thoughtful than most of the crap that passes for country music coming out of Nashville these days.
    The establishment in Nashville thought he was too "rock and roll" and failed to give him the support they gave their other artists.

Once he developed his addictions and the subsequent unprofessional behavior that accompanied being a junkie, they hated him even more.

If Nashville had its way, Earle would have spent his life writing songs for other people to sing. Luckily for us he forged his own path.

NP:

Happy Birthday Mr. Green
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That, and he is very lucky not to have died in some alley from a drug overdose.
    He played an addict in a "The Wire" first season episode giving a speech at an narcotics anonymous meeting, where he really lays it out. I wonder if he wrote it.
    Starts at 1:18...

Post Thanks / Like

He played an addict in a "The Wire" first season episode giving a speech at an narcotics anonymous meeting, where he really lays it out. I wonder if he wrote it.
    Starts at 1:18...

Not sure how much (if any) of Walon's speech was written by Earle, but he certainly knew as well as anyone to what depths a junkie like Walon would sink and that lends so much credibility to his performance.

The whole story of Bubbles' addiction and road to redemption is one of the strongest elements of the whole five season run of the Wire and Earle's portrayal of Walon is a huge reason why, second only to the brilliant performance given by Andre Royo as Bubs himself. The interactions between the two in the fourth and fifth seasons are both heartwarming and heartbreaking, often at the same time.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The establishment in Nashville thought he was too "rock and roll" and failed to give him the support they gave their other artists.
    Ironically, most of what comes out of Nashville these days, at least these days, is more rock 'n roll than twangy. It seems to me the music is a pop-rock base with country vocals.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically, most of what comes out of Nashville these days, at least these days, is more rock 'n roll than twangy. It seems to me the music is a pop-rock base with country vocals.
    And sadly it's what far too many people think of when they hear "country" and then dismiss anything else without ever listening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure how much (if any) of Walon's speech was written by Earle, but he certainly knew as well as anyone to what depths a junkie like Walon would sink and that lends so much credibility to his performance.

The whole story of Bubbles' addiction and road to redemption is one of the strongest elements of the whole five season run of the Wire and Earle's portrayal of Walon is a huge reason why, second only to the brilliant performance given by Andre Royo as Bubs himself. The interactions between the two in the fourth and fifth seasons are both heartwarming and heartbreaking, often at the same time.
    Good to know. I'm just halfway into season one, and the story is building well.

I'm also keeping up with this season's "Treme", which I absolutely love.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I'm just halfway into season one, and the story is building well.

I'm also keeping up with this season's "Treme", which I absolutely love.
    I'm jealous about Treme. I don't have HBO so I await the DVD.

Glad you're enjoying The Wire.
    They build interwoven storylines over five seasons like nothing I've ever seen before.
    Bubbles' story happens to be one of my favorites.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you watch more.

NP:

Not just a beautiful album, but my favorite album cover of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This just came in the mail....sounds excellent right from the first note, if maybe a little predictable. They've got as tight a groove as can be imagined, and of course ST's silky sultry soulful singing.....

Missed the Nashville/Earle dialogue. Excellent points, great music. Earle is a true treasure.

"Nashville" makes me shake my head. Mostly from side to side.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Chicago, the Nashville?

The tele picker in the stupid hat is yet another unreal teacher at my school, where Earle learned how to play, and where he performed last week.

these boys are the real deal.

Enjoy

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    This just came in the mail....sounds excellent right from the first note, if maybe a little predictable. They've got as tight a groove as can be imagined, and of course ST's silky sultry soulful singing.....
    I ordered mine too late to get it here today, so I'll have to enjoy this in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, fair enough. But it's still a damn tight groove.

R_of_G, you are truly a man after my own heart.

Actually working on two trains for an August gig, but we're considering the Lowell George version as an alternate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    R_of_G, you are truly a man after my own heart.

Actually working on two trains for an August gig, but we're considering the Lowell George version as an alternate.
    Been in a very country-blues/roots-rock place lately. It's having a pretty strong influence (for the positive) on my playing as it's getting me back into playing songs opposed to "pick a key and go."

And it continues this morning...

NP:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Pointless, excessive, 80s hair metal guitar wanking.

shot of band: