Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 77
Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,445 to 1,463 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Ah, you pulled out the good stuff!
    Been working on that specific style the last week or so. No better way to learn it than to immerse yourself in it.

Same idea still going now listening to Cornell Dupree play on this one...

NP:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Funkiest Man Alive: Stax Funk Sessions 1967-1975

Post Thanks / Like

Funkiest Man Alive: Stax Funk Sessions 1967-1975

I'd love to play in a soul revue band that did "Turn Your Damper Down" from that album.

NP:

It's working well as a soundtrack to the Celtics/Bulls game.

Post Thanks / Like

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sleigh Bells
    Reign of Terror
    2012, Mom + Pop

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chimes Of Freedom - The Songs Of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years Of Amnesty International
    73 covers of Dylan's songs. Many are pretty good, but there are several throw-aways.

Post Thanks / Like

Lamb of God's Resolution

Post Thanks / Like

Professor Longhair & The Meters
    Live: May 5, 1973 @ St. Bernard Civic Auditorium

It's Mardi Gras. What else would I be listening to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the spirit of Mardi Gras,
    Professor Longhair - House Of The Blues

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

Frank Zappa - The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life

Post Thanks / Like

From an artist perspective, I can see how internet leaks are a bad thing, but from my perspective, it means I get to hear this album before I was supposed to and that makes me happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    From an artist perspective, I can see how internet leaks are a bad thing, but from my perspective, it means I get to hear this album before I was supposed to and that makes me happy.
    I'm previewing it just to see. It has some intense, soulful singing so far!

I ran across this and bought it after just a few 30-second previews. Roots blues.
    Lincoln Durham - The Shovel vs. The Howling Bones

Post Thanks / Like

I'm previewing it just to see. It has some intense, soulful singing so far!
    They're definitely a band I envision appealing to your tastes as well as Tio Kimo's.

I've been trying for a few weeks (since I got the EP) to accurately describe Brittney Howard's singing. The best I can do is that she's a cross between a young Tina Turner (Ike and Tina Revue era), a female Otis Redding, and the best parts of Robert Plant's Zeppelin days. Which is all to say that she comes off as completely authentic. Musically, perhaps it's because they come from Alabama, but they nail that Muscle Shoals/Stax sound.

If I could put them on a triple bill with Star Anna & The Laughing Dogs and Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, it'd probably be the best show I'd ever see.

I haven't listened to anything else since yesterday. At home, in the car, wherever, it's been all Alabama Shakes for 24+ hours and doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon. I've already learned to play most of "Hold On" so that's keeping it in heavy rotation as well.

PS. I just checked out some Lincoln Durham. I like it a lot. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While a few songs didn't completely grab me, I'm enjoying the album quite a bit. It is different enough to be refreshing, yet has that classic sound from several different people, like Tina and Otis that you listed. She sometimes reminds me a little of Amy Winehouse's style, but she's still doing her own thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there's a little Amy Winehouse in her voice as well, which works just fine for me.

I'm impressed that a band this young can pull off such an authentic sound without sounding like they're just imitating bands of a previous era. They manage to inject enough of their own sound on top of the soul thing that they don't come off as a one-trick-pony.

You used the word refreshing and I think that's apt. Not only is it refreshing to my ears to hear their music, it's refreshing to my psyche as a music fan to know there are kids out there who understand the timelessness of good soul music.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

New album from Delta Spirit (release date March 13) is streaming in its entirety at the link below.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20120227

Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast