Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 119
Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast
Results 2,243 to 2,261 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

This is a band containing, among others, Doug Aldrich. Actually, if you like Whitesnake's last two albums, you'll like this too. Here's the video from "My Lust Your Fate."

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Neko Case - The Worse Things Get The Harder I Fight The Harder I Fight The More I Love You
    Similar to Fox Confessor but darker, poignant, and somewhat sad at times.

Will Lee - Love, Gratitude and Other Distractions

Post Thanks / Like

Daft Punk

I think this is a brillant album, very 1970's retro and the top of the icing must be Nile Rogers playing.

Joe Walsh: This is still my favourite album of 2013, great songs and far better than the Eagles.

John Mayer... Paradise Valley

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... boring rubbish.. sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, the John Mayer album missed more than hit with 2 or 3 good tracks.

Kasey Anderson and The Honkies - Odds & Ends

Kasey Anderson - Backed With

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Elvis Costello and The Roots - Wise Up Ghost
    The Roots lay down some fine grooves here. The songs are definitely Costello's, covering a wide range of styles.

The Aristocrats - Culture Clash
    This trio of guys are musician's musicians! Guthrie Govan is beyond description, expertly playing any style you can think of. Incredible performances by all across a multi-genre mix of jazz-prog-rock-rockabilly-blues-fusion-metal. Their first studio album was just OK with me, but this album is pure enjoyment. We get jaw dropping musicianship in some very fun to listen to instrumental songs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Mississippi Delta Blues
    I've been digging into the early blues and "discovered" Mississippi Fred McDowell, thanks to BB King's Sirius XM channel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gov't Mule - Shout!
    I'm liking this album much more than some of their past releases. 2 CD's, the first is Warren Haynes' origional songs, and the second CD has the same songs sung by guests like Elvis Costello, Ben Harper, Grace Potter, Dr. John, Glenn Hughes, and a surprising favorite by Steve Winwood.

After watching last nights Americana Music Association's Honors & Awards show, I had to get an album from the duo with a silly name, Milk Carton Kids. They are really talented song writers with a fresh sound, similar to Simon and Garfunkel's harmonies. The lead acoustic guitar playing is quite beautiful and the vocals are clean and twang free for those who dislike the country side of Americana.
    Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dream Theater - Dream Theater
    I like this more than A Dramatic Turn of Events, but not as much as their earlier work.

Crash Kings - Dark of the Daylight
    I'm not sure how I'd describe their music, but some of the songs are pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

This ROCKS! I'm looking forward to more headphone time with it. The production is first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Dream Theater - Dream Theater
    I like this more than A Dramatic Turn of Events, but not as much as their earlier work.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Really loving it. Jazzy, funky, good music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    This ROCKS! I'm looking forward to more headphone time with it. The production is first class.
    I gotta' agree. For me, A Dramatic Turn of Events was a little too slick. These songs have a good balanced sound and structure, and the new drummer is doing really well considering the shoes he had to fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Los Lobos - Disconnected In New York City (2 CD, 1 DVD)
    This was recorded within a few weeks of when I saw them play their acoustic sets here. They've never sounded better!

The Wood Brothers - Ways Not To Lose
    I'm an instant fan. They have managed to create fresh Americana based music with jazz and blues flavors mixed in.

The Wood Brothers - Muse
    Their latest. Really good, but I'm liking their first ^ album more.

Mazzy Star - Season Of Your Day
    Back after 17 years away, they have kept the moodiness but are using slide dobro on almost every song, which adds a bluesy sound that works well.

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
    Back at last and sounding better than ever, IMO. One of my top fav albums of the year.

Kasey Anderson - Nowhere Nights
    Kasey Anderson - Live At the Triple Door
    I've been buying as much from him as possible to help him since the courts ordered him to pay back money he owes or he'll go to jail. He got in legal trouble this year and sold everything, including his guitars. I've corresponded with him via email to give him support as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Bloomfield's ESSENTIAL BLUES 1964-1969. 15 tasty tracks from his time with Paul Butterfield Blues Band; Electric Flag; Super Session with Al Kooper; a jam at Fillmore West.

The boy could flat out play a git.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, lotsa' new to me albums since early November:

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Miami Pop Festival
    Blind Blake - Georgia Bound
    The Ballroom Thieves - The Devil & The Deep
    Johanna Warren - Fates
    Steve Hunter - The Manhattan Blues Project
    Living Sacrifice - Ghost Thief
    Sons of Hippies - Griffons at the Gates of Heaven
    Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013
    Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon
    Pete Anderson - Birds Above Guitarland
    Billie Joe Armstrong Norah Jones - Foreverly
    The National - Trouble Will Find Me
    American Babies - Knives & Teeth
    Pokey LaFarge - Pokey LaFarge
    Pokey Lafarge and the South City Three - Live at The Newport Folk Festival 2010
    Motorhead - Aftershock
    John Moreland - In The Throes
    Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Fly By Wire
    Holly Williams - The Highway *my favorite album of 2013*
    The Lonely Wild - The Sun as It Comes
    Shelby Lynne - Thanks EP
    Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
    Mark Wein - Black Market Hearts
    Rosanne Cash - The River & the Thread
    Eliot Lewis - Live And Up Front
    The Railsplitters - The Railsplitters
    Tommy Castro And The Painkillers - The Devil You Know
    Kurt Baker - Brand New Beat
    Dave Rawlings Machine - A Friend Of A Friend

Post Thanks / Like

Rory Block----GONE WOMAN BLUES--------Balls to the walls acoustic blues guitar at it's finest. The girl can play and sing up a storm. She's pretty much legendary.

Hey Tig......tell me about the Tommy Castro and the Painkillers? Didn't know he had a new band as I have 6 of his earlier CDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Rory Block----GONE WOMAN BLUES--------Balls to the walls acoustic blues guitar at it's finest. The girl can play and sing up a storm. She's pretty much legendary.

Hey Tig......tell me about the Tommy Castro and the Painkillers? Didn't know he had a new band as I have 6 of his earlier CDs.
    I'll have to check out Rory Block's work.

It is a pretty solid album with enough variety to keep it interesting. If you like his past work, this will work for you unless you need the now missing saxophone sound. Bonamassa plays on a track, plus several other guests help throughout the album.
    Check out the samples:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Devil-Know...t_mus_dp_dpt_1

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Bonamassa listening day. I just got an iPod for X-mas and so I rate albums by how many songs I will put on my iPod. lol

In chronological order by issue date:
    A NEW DAY YESTERDAY---Pretty good CD and Joe's playing skills are developing.

SO, IT'S LIKE THAT---Joe ventures off into some different areas. His playing is technically good but it does nothing for me. Too many notes in too short of a time.

BLUES DELUXE---Refined and wonderful. I think I'll put the whole CD on my iPod. Singing really improved too.

Post Thanks / Like

Two from and old master.....Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown.
    GATE'S ON THE HEAT (1973) and LONG WAY HOME (1995). 22 years apart but the Gate still has that groove going for some good-time music. Not the greatest singer or git-slinger (plays a good violin too) but he gives fabulous testimony for knowing how to play/sing within "yourself" and not try to do things that you can't.....a man totally comfortable with himself and it shows in these 2 CDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Listened to 3 CDs by Junior Brown who plays his own creation, the Guit-Steel. Half Tele...half lap steel. An absolute monster git player, be it on the Tele or Steel. He covers a lot of territory and his playing easily evokes thoughts of Roy Buchanan and Hendrix. He goes from bluesy to chicken pickin'.