Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 52
Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Setzer Goes Instru-MENTAL!
    Wow, this is much better than I expected. We get to really hear Setzer unleash his playing skills and creativity. He manages to use jazz chords, sometimes finger picked, over songs that until now were considered country or blue grass. There is plenty of variety in the songs and styles played. Any guitar player who enjoys listening to the upper end of the skill spectrum should dig this release. Grammy winner potential is very high.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, born this date in 1899. In my opinion, the greatest American songwriter of them all.

NP:

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Happy Birthday to Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, born this date in 1899. In my opinion, the greatest American songwriter of them all.
    I must agree!

I wish I could have seen him play live. My Dad did a few times when he lived in California.
    I practically cut my teeth on the original vinyl of this.

Post Thanks / Like

At the radio station I used to work for, I ran the board for the shows that led into the late-night jazz programming. Every now and then the host would be running late and would call me and have me play some stuff to start the show until he got there and 9 times out of 10 it was something from Ellington's Newport album (usually "Blues to Be There" or "Jeep's Blues").
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
    Scandalous
    2011, Lost Highway

If "garage/soul" is a genre, this is the best illustration of it.
    "I want my ham to get glazed"

This is a funky and fun album. The "Livin' In The Jungle" track is a cool highlight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    "I want my ham to get glazed"

This is a funky and fun album. The "Livin' In The Jungle" track is a cool highlight.
    Yeah, it's been a frequent go-to album for bike rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thursday - No Devolución
    Better, more prog than their past releases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

XTC - Oranges & Lemons

and Skylarking

Post Thanks / Like

I just received an invite to play rhythm on this tune with two gals, one doing vocals, the other doing lead. There will be no drums or bass, so I'm going over and over it, trying to come up with something with as much texture as possible. Fun. Never really gave this tune too much time before. I knew it, but never really dissected it.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

ok, this is pretty crazy

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday to Richard Anthony Monsour aka Dick Dale.

Listening to a good amount of surf music lately. Starting to play regularly with my neighbor who plays bass. We got together this past weekend and began working out an original surf-style instrumental jam. Supposed to get together tomorrow and play again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Buddy Miller's The Majestic Silver Strings (Buddy Miller, Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot and Greg Leisz)
    Quite a mix of styles and moods that may take a few more listens to get all of the songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Niacin, with Lukather on guitar and Glenn Hughes on vocals... This flippin' rocks!

Here they are, sans Lukather and Hughes:

Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Insurgentes

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the show I saw last Friday night.

Incidentally, the video is incorrectly titled.

Still only video from that show with decent sound. Sleigh Bells are a bit too loud for camera phones to handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Son House - Original Delta Blues