Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 111
Page 111 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,109 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Sampler

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pinnick Gales Pridgen - Pinnick Gales Pridgen

Stanton Moore - III
    Incredible groove oriented drummer.

Corrosion Of Conformity - In The Arms Of God

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Stanton Moore - III
    Incredible groove oriented drummer.
    If you're first discovering Stanton Moore for yourself now, do yourself a favor and get your hands on some Galactic as soon as possible. Stanton and sax player Ben Elman were both on Treme (they were both part of Davis' band in season one when he did the cover of "Shame, Shame, Shame.") The rest of the band is awesome as well, particularly bassist Rob Mercurio. True New Orleans funk rock. I've seen them live several times and they always bring it.

Another excellent Stanton project was the original incarnation of Garage a Trois with Stanton on drums, Charlie Hunter on 8 string guitar, and Skerik on saxophone. That band could bring a groove like nobody's business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    If you're first discovering Stanton Moore for yourself now, do yourself a favor and get your hands on some Galactic as soon as possible. Stanton and sax player Ben Elman were both on Treme (they were both part of Davis' band in season one when he did the cover of "Shame, Shame, Shame.") The rest of the band is awesome as well, particularly bassist Rob Mercurio. True New Orleans funk rock. I've seen them live several times and they always bring it.

Another excellent Stanton project was the original incarnation of Garage a Trois with Stanton on drums, Charlie Hunter on 8 string guitar, and Skerik on saxophone. That band could bring a groove like nobody's business.
    Cool! Will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Cool! Will do.
    The albums Crazyhorse Mongoose and Coolin' Off are both good starting points as is the live album from Tipitina's.

Post Thanks / Like

a jazz trio playing Dylan. Try as I might, that is a yawn inducing concept. Then you listen. very cool take on things, and the bassist, upright, is SICK.

this is the James Saft Trio, album titled Trouble.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Going for the "young Fidel Castro" look, I see
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    a jazz trio playing Dylan. Try as I might, that is a yawn inducing concept. Then you listen. very cool take on things, and the bassist, upright, is SICK.

this is the James Saft Trio, album titled Trouble.

In addition to leading this trio, Jamie Saft is a core member of many of my favorite John Zorn projects (The Dreamers, Electric Masada, etc.) He is a tremendous player and the projects he's involved with induce a lot of reactions, but a yawn is never among them.

It's very cool for me to see someone else here coming upon his music for themselves. It made me decide what to put on next. Ribot plays some great stuff on this one, but Saft is the MVP of this album.

NP:

John Zorn/The Dreamers
    O'o
    2009, Tzadik

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Nice. Still one of their finest.

NP:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve Martin Edie Brickell - Love Has Come For You
    Much better than you might expect. I scoffed when I first saw the album news, but I'm glad I gave it a test listen. Steve plays for the song so it isn't some kind of "dig my banjo" album, and Edie does a pretty good job of singing, though not my favorite voice. The tracks are mostly solid Americana but not pure bluegrass, and enough variety to keep it interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Truth be told, I've never particularly cared for this song despite it being covered by at least a dozen bands I love. That said, this is a version I can deal with. If you were at the Stones' show in Oakland last night, you could have seen this live. The Waits/Richards combo usually yields great results ("Harlem Shuffle" not withstanding).

Post Thanks / Like

Jim O'Rourke
    Halfway to a Threeway
    2000, Drag City

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spocks Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep

J. Geils Band - 'Live' Full House

Howlin' Wolf - London Sessions

The Police - Certifiable