Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 49
Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    DIG this! Vocals! power pop! guitar hooks! Matthew Sweet without the narcissism? I dunno, I've know of them for less than ten minutes. Looks like nothing since '08. Did the bloom of genius destroy them?
    I've only known them ten minutes of so longer than that. Found them via this link to free streaming of a song from their forthcoming EP.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/strea...he-most,54236/

I haven't really put a finger on exactly what their sound is, but I like most of it. It's definitely catchy.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm listening to Ray Brown Trio with Ulf Wakenius on guitar. Great jazz.

http://www.amazon.com/7-Steps-Heaven...t_mus_ep_dpi_5
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

After listening to Anaka's "The Glorious Crusade" several more times, I have to say that it is one of the best new metal releases I've heard in some time.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Things don't get too much better than the MGs covering the majority of Abbey Road.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    [
    Things don't get too much better than the MGs covering the majority of Abbey Road.
    Agreed.

NP

13 minute "Down by the River" on this album is a masterpiece
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

NP
    Everytime I see that album cover I look at the marquee and marvel at what it must have been like to see Crazy Horse and Miles on the same night.

NP:

Last edited by R_of_G; April 11th, 2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: I type worse than I play guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent "various artists" tribute album facilitated by John Zorn. Among the featured artists are Arto Lindsay & Marc Ribot, Vernon Reid, Buckethead, Mike Patton, Trey Spruance and Medeski, Martin & Wood as well as many others.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on a Concrete Blonde kick lately:

I would also recommend James Mankey's J.A.M.:

He's the guitarist in the band and a big influence on me.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    I've been on a Concrete Blonde kick lately:
    +1
    I forgot how good they sound. Been listening to Mexican Moon and Bloodletting.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I need to visit this historical marker at "Lightnin's Corner" since it is not far away. The neighborhood is a daytime visit only, however!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    +1
    I forgot how good they sound. Been listening to Mexican Moon and Bloodletting.
    You know, if Bloodletting had been released within the last two years, it probably would have been much more commercially successful due to all the Twilight-inspired vampire books. I read Publisher's Weekly as part of my job and there are at least 5 or so vampire books that come out every week.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I need to visit this historical marker at "Lightnin's Corner" since it is not far away. The neighborhood is a daytime visit only, however![/IMG]
    Nice neighborhoods don't get the blues.

NP:

One of the earliest appearances on record of Grant Green just prior to his participation in Blue Note sessions with Lou Donaldson, Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I need to visit this historical marker at "Lightnin's Corner" since it is not far away. The neighborhood is a daytime visit only, however!

You know Tig, I was down in your neck of the woods in '86, and the place I told my friends we HAD to go, was a Mecca for me, due to my ZZ Top Allegiance, which was still in full flower, despite my repulsion of Eliminator and the glam that accompanied it (heresy to some, I know), was the Balinese down in Galveston. Put it this way, I only have slides....that's how long ago this was.

Texas sure has some guitar heritage.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know Tig, I was down in your neck of the woods in '86, and the place I told my friends we HAD to go, was a Mecca for me, due to my ZZ Top Allegiance, which was still in full flower, despite my repulsion of Eliminator and the glam that accompanied it (heresy to some, I know), was the Balinese down in Galveston. Put it this way, I only have slides....that's how long ago this was.
    The Lightin' Hopkins marker was put in place just last November. One man spent lots of time to get it, but I forgot the name.

Ah, it was down at the Balinese!
    Story time: My grandfather spent some time as a chauffeur way back in the wild days of Galveston. 20's and 30's I think. He would drive hot shot Hollywood types, politicians, etc., down to Galveston for gambling and Post Office Street, the then row of ho-houses. The local cops were on the take, and when the state police tried to bust the Balinese Room, they had the room flipped with hidden tables, just like you see in the movies! The pier was long enough for the operators to clean up before the cops got there. Finally, the state police managed to shut it down. It was sad to see it wiped out by Hurricane Ike. I used to surf there occasionally.

Today:

My Dad and his buddies would drive down to Post Office Street as teens. They didn't have enough money for any "purchases", but enjoyed it when the ladies would whistle at them from the porches. This was in the early 50's. Later, my Dad even sang (he was a jazz singer) in one of the houses for a few bucks, but never got to take it out in trade like any healthy teen boy would want.

Post Thanks / Like

Marco Benevento presents "Quartet the Killer" interpreting the music of Neil Young
    Live Feb 24, 2009 Late Show
    @ Yoshi's - Oakland, CA

Marco Benevento - organ, keyboards, assorted circuit bending toys
    Joe Russo - drums
    Peter Apfelbaum - saxophone
    Josh Roseman - trombone

Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast