Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 61
Page 61 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,159 of 2279

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Movies
    The songs are not as even/similar as with Harlem River Blues, but a more rustic brand of Americana. It works fairly well even if the tunes aren't as catchy.

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is some fine honky-tonk music...
    Brooks and Dunn Number Ones and Then Some

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect one for a rainy Friday morning (or any other day at any other time).
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Saw them in Treme. I forgot which episode(s).
    BTW, I just finished watching season 2, so I'll have withdrawal soon. The season ended on a positive note (no pun intended). I won't spoil any episode, however.
    I recommend season 2 highly!

Post Thanks / Like

This song is the perfect example of why I think Isbell is one of the best emerging songwriters out there right now (along with Kasey Anderson & JT Earle).
    The song manages to make me nostalgic for someplace I've never been.
    How many songwriters can do that?

Post Thanks / Like

NP:

Three versions of "Dead Flowers" on repeat - the Stones' original and covers by Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle.

I played Friday night with my best friend, someone with whom I have much more common ground musically than the guys I've been playing with.

We worked on this song for awhile. I'd say it was probably closest to Steve Earle's version as far as tempo, slower and lilting for the verses, rockin' for the chorus. I actually had a fairly coherent original solo going for a chorus or two as well. I'm interested now in focusing on learning all the little licks during the verses.

Post Thanks / Like

This one sounds like it could have been on Stax 45 years ago which is about as high a compliment as I can give a recording.

And for fun, a nice acoustic solo version from Justin...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    This one sounds like it could have been on Stax 45 years ago which is about as high a compliment as I can give a recording.
    After listening to the new album at least 15 times, I still can't get enough of it. It is so rare to find a release in which every song is a winner with no stinkers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    After listening to the new album at least 15 times, I still can't get enough of it. It is so rare to find a release in which every song is a winner with no stinkers.

I too have it on heavy rotation right now and don't see it changing any time soon.

There are too few songwriters writing songs like his, let alone putting out an entire album that works as well as this one.

Enjoyed that vid too. When Justin talks he sounds much more like his dad than when he sings.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I have this set on shuffle. That covers a whole work day. Who needs Pandora?

Post Thanks / Like

great stuff as usual, RG

NP:

Audio caffeine...the sax player is SICK.

Saw these guys live in sweltering 95 degrees and high humidity outdoors at a festival Saturday, and they had to be dragged offstage after 105 minutes....fantastic.

Latin/afro-cuban/funk band from Miami put together by a Jewish keyboard player from Connecticut.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

^^Will have to check them out, thanks TK.

Keepin' it funky on this end as well.
    A little Daptone for my morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While not as slick and cohesive as Harlem River Blues, The Good Life has some great songs that sometimes feel you are in a backwards time warp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    While not as slick and cohesive as Harlem River Blues, The Good Life has some great songs that sometimes feel you are in a backwards time warp.
    Definitely. There are solid songs on all of his previous work and they show his willingness to dabble in different styles. All of that seemed to coalesce into one perfect album with Harlem River Blues. It's very promising for future output.

I've been watching a bunch of videos of him playing solo while I try to learn some of his songs, particularly "Slippin and Slidin'" I'm drawn as a player to anything with that Stax sound.

Speaking of which...

NP:

Post Thanks / Like

First listen.

I'm really wishing the Black Keys would go back to being a duo sometime soon. They don't sound "bad" as a four piece, but they don't sound like the Black Keys anymore.

Justin Townes Earle's version of "Maybe Baby" is perfect.

Some other cool stuff so far as well. Will likely just skip the Kid Rock track because, well, he's Kid Rock so why bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn