Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 44
Page 44 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbuilder
    So far I like it. I've given 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' a straight run-through this morning and there's some cool stuff here. I'll need to give it a few more listens before I really form an opinion . . . what stands out the most, so far, is that I really, really like the drum sounds - I mean the way the drums are recorded and how they sit in the mix. It adds a lot. Of course there are a thousand great guitar sounds happening too - and I always appreciate that!
    I agree. It'd be very easy for a drummer to get kind of lost in that wash of guitar sounds, but between what he plays and the way it's mixed, it works perfectly, adding to the rather cinematic feel of much of their work.

NP:

My first listen to this...

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Kicking Television: Live in Chicago

Never owned any of their music until now. Not enjoying the useless noise thrown in the middle of otherwise good music.

Hey Tig....that is a season of a career. It's relevant....but it's the exception not the rule. One of the appealing things about Wilco is that they are not determined to stick to a formula, but to evolve and bring you along for the ride. Of course, that means there may be some things that don't appeal to everyone.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was a watershed moment for them, musically unlike anything before or since, destroyed the band, personnel wise, got them tossed from there label, then went on to be the most commercially succesful album to date, in large part because everyone wanted to know what all the scandal and strife was all about. They put out another very different album, then that tour. Kicking television encompassed alot of the noise stuff from YHF, and also was the coming out party of a new lineup. They were trying to figure a lot out at that point.

Not sure why that (KT) was what you elected to immerse yourself in first, but ask 8 fans for which album, you'll likely get 8 different answers. My vote, if you had to pick one for an intro, would be for Being There. AM is great, much closer to the Alt Country booze infused raucous of Uncle Tupelo, but Being There I think is when Tweedy really started to show what he was capable of. Their latest (Wilco - the album) is nothing like any of the others. This makes for a great live show, by the way, and the best way to see what people love about them.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G

Nice, i like the trouble they went to to capture the thinline.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    Nice, i like the trouble they went to to capture the thinline.
    Yeah, though he still plays many other guitars, including several Tele's, the thinline is one I often associate with him whenever I see one.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Seems appropriate...

Post Thanks / Like

Forty-two years ago today, the Beatles took to the roof of the Apple Corps building to perform together in public for the last time.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

a bootleg of Uncle Tupelo'slast show, May 1994
    Last edited by kidsmoke; February 1st, 2011 at 08:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b View Post
    I've been in a major Mastodon mood since seeing them here in DC a couple of weeks back. Their first set was Crack the Skye, verbatim. It was an unbelievable show.
    Add me to this list. I listen to this album at least once a week . . . never gets old.

Currently:

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

If there's ever been a band that could lock down a groove tighter than the Meters, I've never heard them.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Prine, nice. A local too. I study guitar in the same room he learned to play in. He's a legend in these parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    Prine, nice. A local too. I study guitar in the same room he learned to play in. He's a legend in these parts.
    Prine is such a great songwriter and singer. I've been a fan for a long time.

Also, nice call on the Matthew Sweet. Robert Quine's solo on the title track is one of my favorites of his, perhaps behind only the one he did on Lou Reed's "Waves of Fear."

NP:

I seem to be in a country mood today.

Page 44 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast