Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dvm Od2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dvm Od2

pes_laul Guest

Sweet looking pedal, can't wait to hear it:

Post Thanks / Like

The pedal is here! I only had a quick chance to run it through its paces this morning to make sure nothing was damaged in shipping. I was concerned that given the size of the pedal and the two switches that stomping on one could cause the pedal to flip. Having used it a bit I suppose that would be technically possible, but it's not very likely--even for someone as uncoordinated as I. More details will follow as I have opportunity. This is my first day back from vacation which means that I've got a ton of stuff piled up.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Some further quick observations in lieu of a full-blown review:
    1) The boost is exactly what I hoped it would be. Much better than using my OD with the level boosted because it doesn't color the tone as much. There's just more of what you need, when you need it. Worth the price of admission right there.

2) The OD is going to take more time, not that it sounds bad, but just because there's so many options! Do I want stock TS clipping, lift those clippy bits, or go MOSFET? Do I want the mid-range honk or a fuller EQ? I kept playing with the switches and saying, "That sounds cool. Hey, that sounds cool too. What about this? Yep, cool." DVM did tweak the tone control so it is much more flexible, but it takes some getting used to because what the knob reads is not the same as a TS-808 would be at the same position. There's also quite a bit more gain on tap, which requires some rethinking.

Guess I'll just have to spend more time playing. Sigh.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Darn, I really feel bad for you . . . . . .

I felt the same way with the Rodent, I had great tones right away, but there were/are so many options, it took me a while to acclimate. Not a bad thing, just tons of options in one little box. Have fun with your experimenting!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of pictures taken in my very own dining room:

First, the outside of the pedal to show off the custom (and painfully Lutheran) finish:

Next, a gutshot, including DVM's hand-written note. It is superabundantly clear that DVM's soldering skillz far outstrip my own. Not that I expected anything else.

I'm still messing with settings, trying to come up with the best way to demonstrate the power of this pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the...this thread is useless without clips smilie?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Where is the...this thread is useless without clips smilie?
    Working on it. Patience, grasshopper.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet pedal, i assume youve been jamming with it all day?

is it legal to have something that boutique and not jam with it all day?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here are the clips you've all been waiting for. Here's the scoop. All knobs are set at noon for all the clips. In the "lick" clips I play one of Doug Marks' Classic Metal Licks. In the "chord" clips I play "Sweet Jane" again because it's easy All clips were played using the Jazz neck pickup on my Jackson DK2M into my AD30VT using my Black 2x12 settings into my SoundBlaster Audigy and then into Audacity. All clips are unedited except a little amplification on the licks.

Clipping Test:
    I keep the tone switch at "normal." I play the lick or progression once clean, then I play it with the standard TS-808 silicon diodes, then with the "lift" mode (aka no clipping diodes, opamp only), finally with the MOSFET diodes.
    Lick clipping test
    Chord clipping test

Tone Test:
    I keep the clipping switch in TS-808 mode. I play the lick or progression once clean, then I play it with the "Full" tone setting, then with "Normal," finally with "Fat." Normal = TS-808 mid-hump.
    Lick tone test
    Chord tone test

Boost Test:
    Finally, I play the lick once in TS-808 mode with the tone switch on "Normal." The second time through I kick in the boost.
    Boost test

A couple of notes: the "lift" mode is considerably louder than the two diode clipping modes since less clipping is actually occurring. There are internal trim pots on this to control the amount of gain. I believe DVM set the max gain at towards the top, so it has a lot more gain on tap than a standard TS-808. That can be adjusted to taste. My AD30VT's line out doesn't capture the tone as well as I'd like, but it gives you an idea anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The sound clips really show off the different tones. Great job!

I know the pedal has some customizing options (or did I just get confused) with chips and stuff. Is yours a 'straight forward' OD2?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    I know the pedal has some customizing options (or did I just get confused) with chips and stuff. Is yours a 'straight forward' OD2?
    There are some difference between this one and a stock OD2. The main one is that I've got MOSFET diodes instead of LEDs for the third clipping option. Here's some other bits that DVM changed (copied from an email he sent me):
    1) The max pedal gain is set for 2x the TS stock value, so that you can get more drive. I also changed the capacitor ratings accordingly in the 3-position "Fat" toggle so that the bass response stays equivalent to the stock build (otherwise, you lose bass).
    2) I installed sockets on the four PCB eyelets where the two stock clipping diodes attach. That allows you to change the clipping mode for that "TS" position. I've installed the stock silicon diodes, but have also fitted up a pair of red LED's that can be installed, if you want to try that clipping mode.
    3) 5K pot for the tone control to give a more useful sweep range. The stock 25K puts all of the useful range up between about 2 to 5 o'clock.

I'll let DVM chime in if there were any other modifications I missed. He had originally changed a couple of other bits, but he went back to stock when he didn't like how it turned out.

I may do another clip today just to show the range of the gain.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's that gain test. Same setup as before. All knobs at noon except for the gain. Switches set on "Normal" and "TS". I play the same lick as above first without the pedal, next with the pedal with the gain turned all the way down, finally with the gain turned all the way up.

Lick gain test

By the by, I realize that these clips are relatively low volume. I didn't want to tweak them too much in Audacity, for fear of adding unwanted gain or otherwise coloring the tone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really nice review and set of clips. That looks like a very useful OD swiss army knife! Thanks for taking the time to record and post your clips. : :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good job demoing the various features of the pedal, Rev!

My personal favorite settings on the overdrive side:

• MOSFET clipping mode
    • "Full" EQ toggle setting
    • Tone and OD Gain both set around 1 - 2 o'clock
    • Level set as high as possible without the wife getting mad....

You covered the modifications pretty thoroughly. The pedal will do higher gain, but at some point with a TS-type pedal, too much gain turns it into something it really wasn't mean to be. It is, after all, an overdrive, not a high-gain distro-box. (I have some other pedals available for that use though!) The 2x max. gain setting seems just about right to me--plenty of crunch without getting too raspy and loose sounding.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DVM, I was thinking about that with the gain after Marnold mentioned how it was higher than the TS 808 gain settings. I like to use my OD in combination with my other distro box (of course the Rodent), and I would think I might keep the gain down a bit if I did so, to keep it more in the TS area, and use the Rodent for more gain. I did that originally with my DS-1 and Bad Monkey, and do so now with my Rodent and Bad Monkey. On these recordings, I was enjoying the TS mode and Lift mode the best. I also notice that Robert had his clipping set low in his ZYS demo he just posted, and I really enjoyed that sound. But there sure seem to be a lot of good sounds in that thang!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that though the maximum gain available on Rev's pedal is twice that of a stock TS808 or TS9, all those lower gain settings are still there on the gain knob--they just come up a bit farther to the left side.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, I get it. So setting the internal trim pots to allow for more gain just gives you more if you want it, but does not overall make the pedal "gainier", just the settings are not in the same place as on a TS 808 or TS 9 tube screamer.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Ok, I get it. So setting the internal trim pots to allow for more gain just gives you more if you want it, but does not overall make the pedal "gainier", just the settings are not in the same place as on a TS 808 or TS 9 tube screamer.
    Exactly. The way a TS circuit works, the resistors that determine the minimum and maximum gain and the capacitor(s) that determines where the bass response rolls off are interactive. So when I dial up the MAX trimpot to double the available gain, I also adjust the MIN trimpot to keep the minimum gain the same as a stock TS pedal. I also change the values of the 3 switchable caps that the EQ toggle switch controls, so that the overall bass response of the pedal stays essentially unchanged. Otherwise, as you dial up the max gain, you'd be scrubbing off bottom end response, too. It's all related to how a resistor and capacitor pair function as an AC frequency filter.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed something interesting when I was trying to record something with the UK70s model and my OD2. I had it in TS mode. The gain was turned all the way down. Tone was at 2:00 and the level was at about 1:00. If I was reading the output of Audacity correctly, the volume didn't actually increase when I kicked in the pedal. What it did do is compress the signal. The audible effect was cool. What I saw in Audacity surprised me though.

I noticed that there's not a ton of headroom on the hi-gain models on my AD30VT. You can only push it so much. I suppose that would be no different with a tube amph. If you've got the preamp on 11, hitting it with more signal won't increase the volume at all. The amount of headroom seems to be inversely proportional to where the Gain knob is set.

This pedal does take a bit of getting used to, not that it's hard or that there are bad settings. If you're used to a typical Tubescreamer, you need to unlearn what you have learned. Setting the knobs in the same place and letting her rip won't give you the results you'd anticipate. The time you spend with it is definitely worth it. I don't think I could go back to my old TO800 now as much as I liked it.

My advice would be that if you want an overdrive pedal, spend a little more than you would for a TS-9 (and a lot less than you would for a TS-808) and get something with more flexibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast