Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Dvm Od2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dvm Od2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dvm Od2

As DVM alluded to in the other thread, I did place an order for an OD2 with a custom paint job. Not only will it be totally cool, but it with be 946x more Lutheran than the leading overdrive pedal.* The only MOSFET bits I'm going for are in place of the LED clipping option. At that point my TO800 will go to my son. I've wanted an overdrive that was sturdier than my TO800 and a boost pedal. This is two great tastes that taste great together! And it's fostering Fret togetherness (Fretherness?) that just gives me the warm fuzzys. Naturally pics and clips will follow, which will give me the impetus to get off my kiester and record something again.

* All stats verified by Wikipedia and Billy, the gray squirrel in the big Dutch Elm
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    As DVM alluded to in the other thread, I did place an order for an OD2 with a custom paint job. Not only will it be totally cool, but it with be 946x more Lutheran than the leading overdrive pedal.* The only MOSFET bits I'm going for are in place of the LED clipping option. At that point my TO800 will go to my son. I've wanted an overdrive that was sturdier than my TO800 and a boost pedal. This is two great tastes that taste great together! And it's fostering Fret togetherness (Fretherness?) that just gives me the warm fuzzys. Naturally pics and clips will follow, which will give me the impetus to get off my kiester and record something again.

* All stats verified by Wikipedia and Billy, the gray squirrel in the big Dutch Elm

Most Exxxccceellllennntt! I for one will look forward to seeing and hearing your version. : :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

will give me the impetus to get off my kiester and record something again.
    Sounds like a good enough reason to me :
    Congrats, and looking forward to pics and clips.
    Cheers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I can feel the Fretherness in us rising!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Marnold and welcome to the DVM OD2 club. OD2 is just a great pedal, it does lots of nice things to your tone and having the MOSFET mod where you will have it expands your tonal arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold why did you choose the Mosfet options that you did?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Marnold why did you choose the Mosfet options that you did?
    A couple of reasons. 1) I wanted to keep the stock TS808 thang as much as possible--just with the mods to make it more flexible, 2) I agreed with DVM after listening to the Gearmandude clip that I could not tell much difference between the lift and LED options. DVM said the MOSFET is much more noticeable, 3) I considered going MOSFET for the boost, but DVM said he tried both and liked the silicon boost better. I still hem and haw slightly on that last one. I haven't had the chance to listen to clips showing the difference between the silicon and MOSFET boost.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 5 places MOSFETs can go into the OD2 (BYOC's $8 MOSFET Conversion Kit allows you to do all 5, if you so choose), there is only one that I recommend without reservation to everyone, and that is the pair in the second clipping position. The reason is exactly the one Marnold stated--the LED clipping under most playing conditions sounds similar to or exactly the same as the middle toggle position, which turns the clipping off. That's because it takes a LARGE signal (2.0V or more) to exceed the LED voltage threshold and initiate signal clipping, and most of us don't get up in that voltage realm routinely in our playing.

For the other four positions:

• Input and output buffers - The main point here is to leverage the MOSFETs higher input impedance vs. bipolar silicon trannies to preserve top end response. Personally, I find the advice of effects guru Jack Orman compelling on this point--he suggests using a MOSFET input buffer if you're looking for maximum "sparkle", but sticking with the bipolar tranny output buffer for its stronger drive performance. Even then, if you're not concerned with the "sparkle" factor (and it's a subtle difference, not a big change), this one can easily be skipped.
    • Opamp - The CA3260 BiMOS opamp included in conversion kit is really just another "flavor" of opamp that can be run in the OD2, along with a wide range of other dual-stage opamps. IMO, changing opamps in this and other TS-based overdrives is among the more subtle changes you can make, tonally. Yeah, it adds more "MOSFET" content, but this one has the least overall impact, to my ear.
    • MOSFET Boost - Strictly a matter of personal taste on whether you go with the BS170 MOSFET in the boost stage or stick the the kit's stock MPSA18 bipolar tranny. Again, the impact is top-end chime and clarity with the MOSFET. But personally, I find the bipolar tranny boost--essentially the same as the vintage EH Linear Power Booster circuit--to be the better balanced boost. It still has good top-end clarity, and it definitely gives you more authority in the bass and lower mids, hence the "linear" designation. But if it's a "clean" boost you want, the MOSFET option is tops for that.
    Damn--see what happens when you guys get me going on the technical mumbo-jumbo! Well, I hope that's helpful to some of you, anyway.

BTW, got my order book out--who's next??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a mock-up of what the pedal is going to look like. Bonus points if you understand the Luther references.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet mock-up!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I also dig that :

Mine was modded for chase and is sweet so enjoy it brother
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

DVM just sent me a picture of the enclosure. All it needs is a couple of coats of clear.

Post Thanks / Like

that is sweeeet Matt.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

...All it needs is a couple of coats of clear.
    Well, I was kinda planning on installing the electronics and hardware in it, too.... :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Well, I was kinda planning on installing the electronics and hardware in it, too.... :
    True dat. It'd be hard to go "meedley meedley meeeeee!" without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Now fully assembled!

Insert maniacal (yet extraordinarily Lutheran) giggling here.

Post Thanks / Like

sweeeeeet !!!! :
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking good Matt! I would love to hear some tones from it sometime.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, Thesis 96, as in, "But this one goes to 11!" I love it. (So sayeth he that works for the LCMS headquarters.")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast