Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is your job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What I've been thinking lately is I should maybe start to think about working my way to some other position after maybe, say ten or fifteen years...I should think past 50 I'll find it really hard to teach the same stuff still to teenagers. Can't see myself having the energy to do that properly by then, it's already now after ten years very exhausting, especially midwinter, to lecture and rally kids day in day out with all kinds of tricks. Sometimes I think my job resembles more of that of a stand-up comedian than anything else.

So, maybe I should start inching towards some sort of a desk job here later on...maybe international liaisons...work safety and wellbeing manager...some sort of mid-level manager or research job...perhaps even something in IT side of things.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this forum really has one of everything!
    I'm a mid-level manager for a document management company here in the Houston area - and like most folks here, also a part-time musician.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I posted in this thread back in the day. Looks like I didn't even read it. Nice to have so many lawyers!

Technically I'm a Nuclear Engineer, but I've tried to get my hand in as much experimental testing and programming as I have been able to lately. I really enjoy that work and so far it's the only thing in my line of work that has offered me the creative space that I've always wanted.

My wife and I are in the works of starting our own small catering business and if we can get that off and running and profitable I will leave the engineering world to run that full time. If it fails, we took a shot and had a lot of fun getting there. Every weekend we're trying to invent new and interesting recipes together. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

For conversation sake, I was a videogame coder back in late HS and try to keep up with the industry somewhat today. Was head referee at a paintball field for almost 6 years. Was a ditch digger for a month once. Worst. Job. Ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a neurological surgeon.

Haha............no really I work in a factory, inspecting auto oil pans for defects in the paint finish. How mundane can you get
    It pays the bills though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a chef in a Kurdish restaurant

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still in the Navy but now I do mostly programing for our web tools and various analytical stuff. Other than malware analysis it's the coolest thing I've done yet. I may be getting medically separated in the next year so hopefully I'll land someplace doing similar work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheapgtrs View Post
    I'm a chef in a Kurdish restaurant
    Kurds? No whey! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I've been around the block a bit.

92-96 I was a freelance journalist & photographer working in the music industry

97-02 I ran my own web based heavy metal magazine. I covered all the great bands when the played in London & other bits of Europe. Best job ever!!!

I sold the magazine when my kids went to school as I wasn't seeing them and went into logistic & planning.

04 I moved to Australia and presently work as a planner for a major oil company.

Now my kids are growing up I'm looking at starting a photography business and am in negotiations with a talent school to work a stage on their premises. If it pans out I'll do their stage work, get bands in and hopefully band management

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same job but finally on day shift after 3 1/2 years of nights. I'm feeling healthier already thanks to better meals, much less snacking, and a weekly bike ride for the last 2 months.
    My group just took over the security for ERP (Oracle) this month, and it is quite a cluster-you-know-what. Luckily, only the Canada offices are on it this phase. I can't believe it is in such bad shape after 2 years of development and configuration. We're in it for $100 million so far! It reminds me of the 787 Dreamliner, only more complex and less amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Same job but finally on day shift after 3 1/2 years of nights. I'm feeling healthier already thanks to better meals, much less snacking, and a weekly bike ride for the last 2 months.
    My group just took over the security for ERP (Oracle) this month, and it is quite a cluster-you-know-what.
    Cool. So is that like a similar software to SAP or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Cool. So is that like a similar software to SAP or something?
    Yes, Oracle is a prime competitor of SAP. We have SAP currently but I guess they out grew it or something. Both are highly customizable, but I think Oracle is more complex. Maybe that comes with having more options.

The good part is I get to learn a whole new system as it is going live, as well as future developments instead of just showing up later and admin'ing something existing.

Post Thanks / Like

M-F I put windshields into cars, install storefront windows and frames, and other misc. glass related activities

evenings and weekends I am a full time single dad

I get together with a group of dads a few times a month to jam when our schedules permit, we've had a couple gigs but not a real working band, I play an acoustic set at a local bar once a month and sit in with a classic rock cover band every so often when their regular rythym guitarist cant make it.

Music is my second passion and I feed it when I can but feeding my kids comes first

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678