Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your job?

Post Thanks / Like

Late to the party but a fascinating thread!! Great idea Robert.

Graduated college in 1975 with a degree in Art History, what was I thinking. : Generally muddled around a few years working in a gallery and teaching skiing in NH. In the early stages of the running boom I opened a running store. Usual small business story, underfunded, worked 24/7 trying to keep it open. Lots of mistakes. I was running for a athletic shoe company, Saucony, and when the store went belly up went to work for them in marketing/product development. Eventually wound up at adidas as marketing director for the track and feld division. Then moved over to the dress casual side of the shoe business with jobs at Bally and Cole-Haan. Left Cole-Haan to go cruising and semi retired. During our cruising years Mrs Keel and I feel into a job with an event company in Annapolis. We produce a variety of boat show events in the Annapolis/D.C. area. I'm the Operations Manager and Mrs. Keel handles temp hiring and purchasing. Our flag ship event is the Annapolis Sail and Power boat show which celebrates it's 40th year this October.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

I made the "mistake" of having a career that I love versus a career that is stable, has benefits, insurance, 401k, paid vacations, etc...
    How can it be a "mistake" when you do what you love? We should all be so lucky...

And to top it all, ur gigging in France ?!?!?!?

Dream Job !!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I worked 21 years in addictions treatment and forensic psychology...my undergrad degree and first master's are both in psychology. I started as a therapist and eventually wound up managing two outpatient treatment programs.

In 1997 I went back for a second masters degree in management, and eventually left the addictions treatment field and managed an international psychiatric research study on childhood-onset depression. That was federally funded so the grant was set to expire after being there 4 years.

I now work at a large university managing a department that has to review and approve ALL of the research that is conducted at the university, and university medical centers. We review 6500 research studies a year and have to make sure they are ethical, scientifically sound, and adhere to federal regulations pertaining to human subject research.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to maintain and load targeting data for the Minuteman II ICBM weapon system.

Now I'm a sales manager.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to install phone systems now I install Cable and internet
    http://www.soundclick.com/sacco
    http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Reverend of Rock n Roll .

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.

Post Thanks / Like

I am what I am....and that's all what I am....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm working a part time contract position as the evil jerk who filters internet traffic (like thefret.net) for 17,000 users. Don't shoot me, 'cause I don't make the policy, I just admin the Websense filtering product.

I'll be here a few more months at best. I do like working 8:30-3:30, though. Hopefully I'll get back into an IT security position with a wider range of duties.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Hopefully I'll get back into an IT security position with a wider range of duties.
    Maybe you can get in with the Federal Government. They seem to need all the help they can get in that area.

Nice Unknown Hinson avatar, BTW.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Well Tig, you should be able to tell us how to get around it then ? no ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Well Tig, you should be able to tell us how to get around it then ? no ?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...

Many of the internet filtering systems block proxy server websites. There is an ongoing game to keep ahead of them, but there is always a period of time that you can use one without getting noticed. A new website will appear to be uncategorized by the filter and usually lets it through. You can surf from there.

Here's the latest: http://www.fishbasketball.com/

If you want to know when a new proxy avoidance site is online, go to http://peacefire.org/ and sign up for email notices. There are others out there, but this one isn't risky or loaded with malware, and they don't sell your email addy.

EDIT: Oh, and you didn't hear this from me!
    Last edited by Tig; July 1st, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing !

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the internet filtering systems block proxy server websites. There is an ongoing game to keep ahead of them, but there is always a period of time that you can use one without getting noticed. A new website will appear to be uncategorized by the filter and usually lets it through. You can surf from there.

If you want to know when a new proxy avoidance site is online, go to http://peacefire.org/ and sign up for email notices. There are others out there, but this one isn't risky or loaded with malware, and they don't sell your email addy.

Hear what? That all sounds like muted trumpet talk to Peanuts characters... wuh, wuh, wah!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    Middle School teacher: computers and history. I've taught pretty much every age from beginning reading to adult ed over my 30 years in the trade.

you teach history? what are your wages like? i do history GCSE and got an A in the mock exam, and am considering doing A Level and a degree in modern and medieval history.

the wages over there probably differ slightly but what you think of my education/life idea? since your a teacher AND a fellow fretter i can trust what you tell me.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

pes_laul Guest

'Scuse me while I whip this out...

hmm I can use that when school starts

Post Thanks / Like

Default been in construction most of my life...

.... Graduated high school in 3 years and had a scholarship started college at 16 and blew it off to be a rock star LOL! Had a chance and being signed in the late eighties and was passed on (who wasn't in the city LOL!). I have been a working plumbing foreman (local 130 Chicago) for the last 11 or so years. Was laid off for the first time in my life over the winter, that was how I found the Fret.com. I have always had construction jobs. I have to know how things work. I am intrigued by all sorts of mechanical's guitars,cars motorcycles, houses, high rises, I have worked on or built all of the fore mentioned. I tried going to the same place for a while like a white collar gig. I get too jumpy after a while so I stuck with plumbing. I like to move around a lot site to site. The early part of my career I plumbed mansions in the Chicago west suburbs 25,000 sq foot houses! Crazy Crazy stuff. Good pay, I work hard and can look in the boss's face when I get my check. I owe know one. I have two great kids and a awesome wife who I have been with for 24 years. My addiction to guitars and motorcycles is accepted and supported by them and I love them for it. As it goes I'm a waaayyy lucky dude. Later,J.H.
    we are what we are-Alice Cooper

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Teacher...I teach at a vocational college.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an IT Security Guy. I sit around a lot thinking of ways to break things - my work comes to me naturally. I did the intel thing in the Marine Corps, where I first became paranoid and started thinking about how to break things, and look for weaknesses in systems and such. I'm not as technical as I used to be, I spend more time on policy and management and "big picture thinking" now. I also teach at a local University one night a week, doing classes on computer networking and security.

Pretty active in my church as well, and started learning lead and getting into electric guitar a few months back. Discovered I'm a Strat guy after buying and later selling a knockoff Les Paul. Been focusing on basics for now, just learning scales and practicing those.

Glad to be here.

Post Thanks / Like

... been away from the board for a while, just catching up and I saw this thread. Sorry to jump in late ...

I'm a scuba diver for Roto Rooter :-)
    No, just being a wise guy.

I'm actually a field applications engineer for a software company that makes streaming video and music software for mobile phones and consumer electronics. It's interesting to see where things are going with the mobile industry as the new entertainment medium.

I'm also a freelance musician on the side. I play at churches, casuals, and the occasional recording gig. But mostly, I play just for the love of it.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Been in the newspaper business for 33 years. Managing editor now, specifically responsible for op-ed (opinions and commentary), union relations, Newsroom IT and web operations.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast