Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Like a Phoenix....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like a Phoenix....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Like a Phoenix....

Sometimes it seems to take a long time for an obvious idea to pop into my thick skull! A little while back, I made THIS POSTING to explain the differences between my original Zonkin' Yellow Screamer overdrive pedal and the newer BYOC Overdrive 2. The ZYS has developed quite a following around here, but various circumstances have conspired to make it very expensive for me to make and sell. But people keep asking about it, so I wanted to tee up the new Overdrive 2 as a more cost-effective alternative.

Then it finally hit me--why does it have to be one or the other?? Why not take the Overdrive 2 design with its cool new features, add a few more, and come up with an even better version of the ZYS?? One that will outdo the original. And from that long-overdue brainstorm (and with a little encouragement from our friendly site admin Robert) comes....the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer Mark II, arising reborn, like a phoenix from the ashes!

The ZYS Mk II starts with a MOSFET conversion-based Overdrive 2 and adds these features:

• Socketed diode connections for swapping to different clipping configurations (several provided)
    • DVM's custom hybrid MOSFET conversion (best of both worlds!)
    • Your choice of MPSA18 BJT or BS170 MOSFET boost
    • Two additional opamps (total of five!)
    • NEW toggle switch mod to allow placing the boost stage before or after the overdrive stage (very useful!)
    • That snazzy ZYS yellow paint job & red graphics!

But make no mistake--it's still based on the same TS808 vintage circuit as the original ZYS, and has the same killer tone. The best part is that, even with all these added features, the price is way below the $250 I was quoting for the original ZYS. Yours for $165 + shipping. So who wants serial number 1??

Here's what ZYS Mk II looks like:

BTW, I'll continue to offer the straight TS808-based version of the OD2 ($135) and the basic MOSFET conversion ($145), as well. These prices are for a fully assembled, tested, painted & decaled pedal; shipping is extra. Prices subject to change, just like the rest of the world....
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; August 25th, 2015 at 01:11 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Your building up some serious GAS Vood.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

ZYS Mark II serial number 1 is SOLD!! : :

You still have a shot at #2, though! :

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the boost feature you've incorporated into the pedal DVM. :
    My gear fund is tapped out (so I've been told ) for the immediate future, but this looks like a pedal I'd be interested in.
    Looking forward to seeing pics of the first pedal to go out! Congrats to the Fretter who scored #1.
    Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    I love the boost feature you've incorporated into the pedal DVM.
    Yep, it's a great addition to an already great pedal, but I really can't take any credit for that one! The boost was added to the overdrive as part of BYOC's redesign of the original Overdrive kit. This was one of several enhancements made to the old design; the new Overdrive 2 version came out this past January. So Keith Vonderhulls should get all the kudos for that one....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Had to order two octave fuzz kits (thanks to Robert's Octafuzzy video!), so I picked up an extra OD 2 kit "on speculation" to qualify for free shipping. So whoever buys the next OD2-based pedal gets my customary $5 free shipping discount:

TS808-based stock build: $130
    MOS conversion build: $140
    ZYS Mark II, S/N 002: $160

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

7. June 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Reason
    affafd

Post Thanks / Like

ZYS Mark II S/N 001 pix:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks sweet!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain the custom hybrid MOSFET conversion, Vood?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Can you explain the custom hybrid MOSFET conversion, Vood?
    Sure. The stock OD2 kit uses no MOSFET componentry, per the original TS808 design--just bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). The boost circuit in the stock kit is BJT based, as well--basically the same circuit design as the vintage Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster.

The "MOSFET Conversion Kit" that BYOC sells as an $8 add-on contains the components needed to convert the OD2's circuits in 5 locations:

• Input buffer
    • Output buffer
    • Opamp
    • Clipping stage
    • Boost

But you don't have to do the full MOSFET conversion. I prefer to use only some of the five, hence my use of the term "custom hybrid MOSFET conversion". I like the MOSFET input buffer for it's higher input impedance, which preserves a bit more top-end and minimizes any "tone-sucking". And I like the MOSFETs used as clippers in the clipping stage--a nice warm, meaty tone that's a bit fuller and smoother than the stock TS808 silicon diode clipping. MOSFET clipping has become all the rage in a number of well-known boutique overdrives, for good reason.

The MOSFET-based opamp, a CA3260, can be swapped in & out of the circuit as you desire, because the kit uses an opamp socket. Personally, I like both the stock TS808 JRC4558D and the hifi Burr Brown OPA2134 opamps a bit better, but these are very subtle differences anyway.

However, I prefer the stock BJT's in the boost circuit and the output buffer because they have more drive than the MOSFETs do. I really see no benefit to the MOSFET output buffer, and MOSFET buffers are also a bit noisier than the BJT versions. And the BFT-based boost sounds just great to my ear, and still very clean unless cranked way, way up, plus it has a much better defined bottom end. If you really want maximum top-end jangle, the MOSFET boost might be preferable, but I find the BJT version to have plenty of top-end detail. IMO, the better bass response and stronger output characteristics of the BJT trump any small advantage the MOSFET may hold in treble response.

Prolly more detail than you wanted, Tot, but you know how I am once I get going....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Tot.....I have the OD2 exactly as DVM described with the only difference being that I have the MOSFET boost.

It's a great pedal, lots of tonal options, esp with the MOS in the clipping stage. Lots of sounds to explore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Sure.
    Prolly more detail than you wanted, Tot, but you know how I am once I get going....
    Nope, that's exactly the kind of info I wanted. Thanks!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ZYS Mark II Serial No. 002

I currently have the build of ZYS Mark II S/N 002 underway--this one I'm building "on spec", so will be looking for a good home for it. But there's more to the story for this one....

Robert & I have conspired a bit, and when the pedal is fully assembled, it'll be taking the "Alberta Express" out to Camrose, where Robert has agreed to feature it in one of his video demos! Now you guys can hear the ZYS MkII played by a truly competent axe-man, rather than having to extrapolate its capabilities by listening to more of my aimless wanking. I'm really looking forward to that video!

Once Robert is through with the video, he'll be returning the pedal to me, at which time it'll be up for sale ($160 + shipping). Heck, it's up for sale now, if anybody want to reserve it. Here's your chance to own a great overdrive-boost pedal that's also gonna be a movie star!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How much does the value go down after I'm done soiling it with my filthy blues-jazz wank attempts and bulls**** noodling?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    How much does the value go down after I'm done soiling it with my filthy blues-jazz wank attempts and bulls**** noodling?
    Good point.

Price dropped to $14.99.

....ONLY KIDDING!!

BTW, I wonder if that ***hole will comment on the video? I think he's got it in for you, RR! Prolly just jealous....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it doesn't suffer any vein-related damage.

Wait a minute, that sounded absolutely awful.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

18. July 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HERE is the thread I was looking for. I have one of these coming!! Very excited. I love the strat graphic on the side too!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note to any late-comers to this thread--the pricing mentioned in the first post is no longer accurate. For current pricing on this and my other pedal offerings, look HERE.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine is here!!!! I had a very busy day, and though it arrived with the mid day mail, I did not get to open it until around 6 when I finished my last appointment today. It came packed very, very well, with the spare op amps, diodes, and other parts all separated and packed nicely.

I plugged it into the Fender Concert at work, and it sounds just great! I had my Bad Monkey there too, and by comparison, the ZYS just sounds . . . tighter? In fairness, the BM was set for warm rhythm, but in the very limited time I had to mess around with it, I sure like the ZYS! The boost, which DVM set up as a MOSFET, that can be converted to the standard linear boost, sounds tremendously clean.

Tonight the Oscars are being watched in the guitar room, so I can't hook it up to the Peavey and play more yet, but I look forward to really tearing into this thing. Thanks DVM!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast